leg extension

Ted Anderson

Guest
I have been riding a v-rex for about 4 years and have yet to find the optimal leg extension. I find
that if my extension is that of a roadie I develop considerable discomfort in my calves and, when I
shorten the extension, my knees get a bit sore. Any thoughts? (my cadence is about 80--100,
depending on the terrain)

Ted Anderson wrote:
> I have been riding a v-rex for about 4 years and have yet to find the optimal leg extension. I
> find that if my extension is that of a roadie I develop considerable discomfort in my calves and,
> when I shorten the extension, my knees get a bit sore. Any thoughts? (my cadence is about 80--100,
> depending on the terrain)

Just a suggestion. You haven't tried a longer-than-DF leg extension, so try it. I find I like to
have about a half inch longer extension than my old wedgie took. If your achilles tendons get
sore, back off in a hurry - too much extension can tighten your tendons and make them suseptible
to tearing.

You should check to see if you have the correct crank length your body measurment.

Peter white cycles has a fitting guide in which is suggested how you should measure your crank
length. http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm. I saw a link come by in the newsgroup with a
calculator.

It sound like you need shorter cranks. After you get the proper length cranks, you can then get
adjust your extension. I am 5'7" and ideally I should have 162.5mm cranks, but they are expensive so
I use the shiman ultegra's 165 (which required me to replace the bottom bracket also.)

"Ted Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I have been riding a v-rex for about 4 years and have yet to find the optimal leg extension. I
> find that if my extension is that of a roadie I develop considerable discomfort in my calves and,
> when I shorten the extension, my knees get a bit sore. Any thoughts? (my cadence is about 80--100,
> depending on the terrain)

> "Ted Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > I have been riding a v-rex for about 4 years and have yet to find the optimal leg extension. I
> > find that if my extension is that of a roadie
> > develop considerable discomfort in my calves and, when I shorten the extension, my knees get a
> > bit sore. Any thoughts? (my cadence is about 80--100, depending on the terrain)

could it be possible that one of your legs is longer than the other? as wierd as this sounds, its
just the problem that I have- my left leg is ~ .5" longer than my right and so far this has
prevented me from finding just the 'right' seat distance on both of the bents I've owned. I've
reconciled myself to a life of compromise, I guess.

rich, walking in circles (albeit large ones)

"Rich Westerman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > "Ted Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > I have been riding a v-rex for about 4 years and have yet to find the optimal leg extension. I
> > > find that if my extension is that of a roadie
> > > develop considerable discomfort in my calves and, when I shorten the extension, my knees get a
> > > bit sore. Any thoughts? (my cadence is about 80--100, depending on the terrain)
> > >
> could it be possible that one of your legs is longer than the other? as wierd as this sounds, its
> just the problem that I have- my left leg is ~ .5" longer than my right and so far this has
> prevented me from finding just the 'right' seat distance on both of the bents I've owned. I've
> reconciled myself to a life of compromise, I guess.
>
> rich, walking in circles (albeit large ones)

My brother! My left leg is .5" longer than my right, also. I'm constantly running around in
circles...

In any case, Ted's issue sounds like it's happening in both knees. Are you using clipless pedals?
Have you had the cleat alignment checked? Having the cleats slightly off can cause knee soreness.

Also, as strange as it may sound, playing with the seat angle can change the tension on your leg
muscles. You may be able to get the seat distance "close" and then fine tune with the seat angle.

Jeff

Alpha, Thanks for posting the crank-length calculator. I have never seen a formula for this before.
I measured my leg at work, and the formula indicated that need 182mm cranks. I don't think so. I am
5' 8.5". I think I need to re-measure.

When pedaling with my 170mm cranks on my Vision R40 my knee forms an acute angle at the top of the
stroke. Is this true for you other riders? Intuitively, I would think this to be inefficient.

I remember the first time I climbed on the thing the stroke felt really long. I felt like I was
pulling my knees up too close to my stomach.

I just won an eBay auction for 155mm cranks. I'm not sure they will work on my bike or with my
chainrings but I figgered I could re-sell em if I need to. I got them cheap enough. I recognize
wisdom in making smaller incremental changes in a critical area like this, but by my observation I
would need this much of a change in crank length to make my knee a right-angle at the top of the
stroke. Is this a desirable goal? Considering the problem from the perspective of the stair climbing
scenario, I'd think I would even want to go smaller yet.

GeoB