Leg fat and pedal stroke?

CatSpin

Feb 13, 2003
Can the location and % of fat on your legs give you some insight into the "spin" of your pedal stroke? If there is virtually no fat on your quads but a proportionately larger amonnt on your hamstrings is this indiation you are not "pulling" up as much as you should. Ciould the same hold true for the hips, glutes and calves?

The larger question is whether muscles burn fat locally (around the working) muscle first.

Just a thought that came to me yesterday.

CatSpin said:
Can the location and % of fat on your legs give you some insight into the "spin" of your pedal stroke? If there is virtually no fat on your quads but a proportionately larger amonnt on your hamstrings is this indiation you are not "pulling" up as much as you should. Ciould the same hold true for the hips, glutes and calves?

The larger question is whether muscles burn fat locally (around the working) muscle first.

Just a thought that came to me yesterday.

Fat is not burned locally. This is always a massive disapointment to those who advocate lots of sit-ups to burn off belly fat to reveal your sixpack. Just think.. you never need do sit-ups again.

DavidM said:
Fat is not burned locally. This is always a massive disapointment to those who advocate lots of sit-ups to burn off belly fat to reveal your sixpack. Just think.. you never need do sit-ups again.
This is true, but that sixpack will not exist without the sit-ups. ;)

You also won't get cramps as easily when riding if you do the sit-ups - definately a good exercise to do.

Yup, it is true, you do not burn fat 'locally'. I am not sure whether it is true (but 'seems' to hold for me), but I seem to lose weight from head to toe... the firs thing that happens when I lose 1-2 kgs is my cheeks becoming 'sunken'.

Kind of that Lendl-look, if you remember the Czech tennis player... :p

ric_stern/RST said:
can you explain how this is true, as i can't see any connection whatsoever...?

Should be an interesting answer.:confused:

ric_stern/RST said:
can you explain how this is true, as i can't see any connection whatsoever...?

My guess is that the OP was linking sit-ups to improvements in core body strength = better stability/more comfortable on the bike. I don't know what that has to do with cramps though...

Ritch

ritcho said:
My guess is that the OP was linking sit-ups to improvements in core body strength = better stability/more comfortable on the bike. I don't know what that has to do with cramps though...

Ritch
That's true, and I guess I meant that general percieved effort was less. *tries to sound all smart* :rolleyes: