Leg lenth difference & Pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jake Barnes

My right leg is a little shorter than my left leg (a few centimeters). I get severe pain in my lower
right back while riding, which I am assuming is due to my right leg being a little shorter. Is there
a way to remedy this problem? I am hoping that there is some sort of spacer that I can put between
my shoe and cleat-- once I get clipless pedals (I have standard toe cages now). Is this an option?
And, I am very open to other ideas as well.

Thanks-- Jake

You might also consider running different length cranks. I guess that would only work if the
difference in length worked out.

A

Jake Barnes wrote:

>My right leg is a little shorter than my left leg (a few centimeters). I get severe pain in my
>lower right back while riding, which I am assuming is due to my right leg being a little shorter.
>Is there a way to remedy this problem? I am hoping that there is some sort of spacer that I can put
>between my shoe and cleat-- once I get clipless pedals (I have standard toe cages now). Is this an
>option? And, I am very open to other ideas as well.
>
>Thanks-- Jake
>
>

On Thu, 08 May 2003 15:53:39 GMT, "Jake Barnes" <[email protected]> blathered:

>My right leg is a little shorter than my left leg (a few centimeters). I get severe pain in my
>lower right back while riding, which I am assuming is due to my right leg being a little shorter.
>Is there a way to remedy this problem? I am hoping that there is some sort of spacer that I can put
>between my shoe and cleat-- once I get clipless pedals (I have standard toe cages now). Is this an

You can get special crank adaptors. you're probably better asking this question on rec.bicycles.tech
http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&num=25&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&newwindow=1&group=rec.bicycles-
.tech&safe=off&start=25

Pete
----
http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

"Jake Barnes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My right leg is a little shorter than my left leg (a few centimeters). I
get
> severe pain in my lower right back while riding, which I am assuming is
due
> to my right leg being a little shorter. Is there a way to remedy this problem? I am hoping that
> there is some sort of spacer that I can put between my shoe and cleat-- once I get clipless pedals
> (I have standard
toe
> cages now). Is this an option? And, I am very open to other ideas as well.
>
> Thanks-- Jake
>
>
Try a different crank arm length on the shorter side. Go to your LBS for help.

TJ

Jake Barnes wrote:
> My right leg is a little shorter than my left leg (a few centimeters). I get severe pain in my
> lower right back while riding, which I am assuming is due to my right leg being a little shorter.
> Is there a way to remedy this problem?

Orthotics.

> I am hoping that there is some sort of spacer that I can put between my shoe and cleat-- once I
> get clipless pedals

there are.

>I am very open to other ideas as well.

Visit a qualified Physical Therapist for a Bike-fit and orthosis

If in or near NH I can HIGHLY reccomend mine... He's a former Cat-II Roadie and one hell of a P.T.

> My right leg is a little shorter than my left leg (a few centimeters). I get severe pain in my
> lower right back while riding, which I am assuming is due to my right leg being a little shorter.
> Is there a way to remedy this problem? I am hoping that there is some sort of spacer that I can
> put between my shoe and cleat-- once I get clipless pedals (I have standard toe cages now). Is
> this an option? And, I am very open to other ideas as well.
>
> Thanks-- Jake

http://www.lemondfitness.com/bf/bigmeat.htm

--
Slacker

On Thu, 08 May 2003 15:53:39 GMT, "Jake Barnes" <[email protected]> wrote:

>
>Thanks-- Jake
>
Jake, how about orthopedic shoes? You should be able to use them with toe clips. A buddy of mine
has a leg that's about 3 inches shorter than the other....but he does ride, one hell of a poker
play though.

Your post reminded me of some dialog from Pulp Fiction.

"Bring out the Gimp."

"Gimps sleepin'."

"Guess you best go wake him up now shouldn't you."

Great Soundtrack too, Bill

The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give
an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
:-]

"Bill Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Thu, 08 May 2003 15:53:39 GMT, "Jake Barnes" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >My right leg is a little shorter than my left leg (a few centimeters). I
get
> >severe pain in my lower right back while riding, which I am assuming is
due
> >to my right leg being a little shorter. Is there a way to remedy this problem? I am hoping that
> >there is some sort of spacer that I can put between my shoe and cleat-- once I get clipless
> >pedals (I have standard
toe
> >cages now). Is this an option? And, I am very open to other ideas as
well.
> >
> >Thanks-- Jake
> >
> Jake, how about orthopedic shoes? You should be able to use them with toe clips. A buddy of mine
> has a leg that's about 3 inches shorter than the other....but he does ride, one hell of a poker
> play though.
>
> Your post reminded me of some dialog from Pulp Fiction.
>
> "Bring out the Gimp."
>
> "Gimps sleepin'."
>
> "Guess you best go wake him up now shouldn't you."
>
> Great Soundtrack too

Just a guess here, Bill: you're related to James Waat, right?

Bill "or whatever that idiot Secretary of the Interior's name was" S.

"TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> "Jake Barnes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > My right leg is a little shorter than my left leg (a few centimeters). I
> get
> > severe pain in my lower right back while riding, which I am assuming is
> due
> > to my right leg being a little shorter. Is there a way to remedy this problem? I am hoping that
> > there is some sort of spacer that I can put between my shoe and cleat-- once I get clipless
> > pedals (I have standard
> toe
> > cages now). Is this an option? And, I am very open to other ideas as
well.
> >
> > Thanks-- Jake
> >
> >
> Try a different crank arm length on the shorter side. Go to your LBS for help.
>
> TJ
>
Now _that_ is going to bring an interesting result ....

The solution is as the OP mentioned would be a spacer between the shoe and pedal.

göran

Thanks

"Bill Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Thu, 08 May 2003 15:53:39 GMT, "Jake Barnes" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >My right leg is a little shorter than my left leg (a few centimeters). I
get
> >severe pain in my lower right back while riding, which I am assuming is
due
> >to my right leg being a little shorter. Is there a way to remedy this problem? I am hoping that
> >there is some sort of spacer that I can put between my shoe and cleat-- once I get clipless
> >pedals (I have standard
toe
> >cages now). Is this an option? And, I am very open to other ideas as
well.
> >
> >Thanks-- Jake
> >
> Jake, how about orthopedic shoes? You should be able to use them with toe clips. A buddy of mine
> has a leg that's about 3 inches shorter than the other....but he does ride, one hell of a poker
> play though.
>
> Your post reminded me of some dialog from Pulp Fiction.
>
> "Bring out the Gimp."
>
> "Gimps sleepin'."
>
> "Guess you best go wake him up now shouldn't you."
>
> Great Soundtrack too, Bill
>
>
> The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should
> give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
> :-]

On Fri, 09 May 2003 05:15:38 GMT, "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Bill Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Thu, 08 May 2003 15:53:39 GMT, "Jake Barnes" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >My right leg is a little shorter than my left leg (a few centimeters). I
>get
>> >severe pain in my lower right back while riding, which I am assuming is
>due
>> >to my right leg being a little shorter. Is there a way to remedy this problem? I am hoping that
>> >there is some sort of spacer that I can put between my shoe and cleat-- once I get clipless
>> >pedals (I have standard
>toe
>> >cages now). Is this an option? And, I am very open to other ideas as
>well.
>> >
>> >Thanks-- Jake
>> >
>> Jake, how about orthopedic shoes? You should be able to use them with toe clips. A buddy of mine
>> has a leg that's about 3 inches shorter than the other....but he does ride, one hell of a poker
>> play though.
>>
>> Your post reminded me of some dialog from Pulp Fiction.
>>
>> "Bring out the Gimp."
>>
>> "Gimps sleepin'."
>>
>> "Guess you best go wake him up now shouldn't you."
>>
>> Great Soundtrack too
>
>Just a guess here, Bill: you're related to James Waat, right?
>
>Bill "or whatever that idiot Secretary of the Interior's name was" S.
>
Oh c'mon Bill, it's all good. What's life if you can't laugh at it and have fun.

Peace, Bill(No time to be PC)Wheeler The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as
a reflector, that is, the mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of
the world.
:-]

Status
Not open for further replies.