Leg muscles and cycling

Karen

Guest
I know bicycling works the quads probably the most. Does it work the ham strings very much?? And
what about the other leg muscles?? Thanks

In article <[email protected]>, bkay1717 @yahoo.com says...
> I know bicycling works the quads probably the most. Does it work the ham strings very much?? And
> what about the other leg muscles?? Thanks

The calves also get a pretty good workout. If you have clipless pedals and pull back a bit at the
bottom of the pedal stroke, you can get a little hamstring workout, but not a whole lot. The main
thing I see with the hammy's is that when I ride for a while in a very low aero position (like aero
bars), I feel some stretch in them at the end of the ride.

In article <[email protected]>, Karen <[email protected]> wrote:
>I know bicycling works the quads probably the most. Does it work the ham strings very much?? And
>what about the other leg muscles?? Thanks

You have quite a bit of control over how you work your legs, the bike is a good tool for controlling
effort once you learn to use it. You can sit, you can stand, you can spin fast, or push a big gear,
you can slide forward or back on the saddle, you can tilt your pelvis forward or back. You can rest
and recover while still moving and you can extend the suffering to long durations (12 hours is not
an insane amount of time to ride a bike, unlike running for 12 hours which is obviously insane) if
you keep eating and drinking, know how to meter your effort, and how to recover on the bike.

When I hike or run I find that my cycling improves my power a lot, and decreases my weight which
helps a lot, but there are still a lot of calf muscles it doesn't exercise and it will not do
anything for muscles you use to stablize the foot which are very important when not on the bike.

There are some exceptions but most cyclists I know with fantastic legs also go to the gym.

--Paul

Karen <[email protected]> wrote:
: I know bicycling works the quads probably the most. Does it work the ham strings very much?? And
: what about the other leg muscles?? Thanks

Well you can exert some force by pulling and pushing on the forward and backward part of the
stroke, so I'd think different muscles are involved. (Think Burke's Serious Cycling had some more
detail on this.)

If you want to gain muscle mass, you'd be better off with sprints or rides of short duration (1
hour, 3 hours max if you can push a pace for that period). This based on how my muscles feel after
a ride :)

If you are not interested in gaining endurance but only building muscle mass and strenght in a
particular muscle, the gym is a far better option. And can help a bit with cycling as well...

"Karen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I know bicycling works the quads probably the most. Does it work the ham strings very much?? And
> what about the other leg muscles?? Thanks

Actually, cycling gets most power from the hip extensors (glutes, hams).

In article <DKjib.746556$Ho3.186663@sccrnsc03>, [email protected] says...
> "Karen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I know bicycling works the quads probably the most. Does it work the ham strings very much?? And
> > what about the other leg muscles?? Thanks
>
> Actually, cycling gets most power from the hip extensors (glutes, hams).

Then how come it's my quads that do all the complaining after a hard ride, and my hams never
feel a thing?

"Peter Cole" [email protected] wrote on 10-12-03:

>Actually, cycling gets most power from the hip extensors (glutes, hams).

The glutes and lower back help with stabilization to provide a base of support (mobility on
stability)but it's the quads that work to straighten the knee and the calves which plantar flex the
foot which rotates the pedal that turns the crank which moves the chain that turns the wheel which
moves the bike that Karen rides.

And I know that if Karen flexes her hamstrings at the same time as her quads, she will have a very
stable hip but not a lot of movement.

Right, Dr. Mark?

"Papayahed1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Peter Cole" [email protected] wrote on 10-12-03:
>
> >Actually, cycling gets most power from the hip extensors (glutes, hams).
> >

> The glutes and lower back help with stabilization to provide a base of
support
> (mobility on stability)but it's the quads that work to straighten the knee
and
> the calves which plantar flex the foot which rotates the pedal

> And I know that if Karen flexes her hamstrings at the same time as her
quads,
> she will have a very stable hip but not a lot of movement.

The biomechanics of cycling, and the role/contribution of individual muscle groups is complicated,
but most of the power comes from "hip extensors":

http://analyticcycling.com/PedalForcesAtPedal_Page.html

Anyone who has used muscle isolating machines in the gym knows that the hip/back extensors are much
more powerful than the knee/lower leg extensors.

Originally posted by Karen
I know bicycling works the quads probably the most. Does it work the ham strings very much?? And
what about the other leg muscles?? Thanks

Here is the best advice I can give you. If you wish to know what other leg muscles are developed, just look at a pro's or serious cyclists legs. The average rider with fat legs shall have one large looking calf muscle. The pro's legs shall have little to no fat with more muscle groups showing. Just my 2 cents...

Memph

A bicycle-specific, strength-building exercise for the legs I do in a gym, is an unorthodox use of a
stair-climbing type of machine. I turn up the resistance a lot higher than can be sustained on a
smooth and steady pace. Then, I force the pedals down, in hard and slow separate thrusts. It's also
good for the pulling strength of the arms, as I have to put heavy pressure on them, to make the foot
pedals move. In regular endurance workouts on this machine, the body weight is enough to brace
against, with the arms being used only lightly. As with any new and strenuous exercise, this should
be done carefully and lightly, until condition and toughness for it are developed.

The hamstring muscles (adductors) at the back of the legs, are used fully in bike riding. They
and the muscles of the lower back are the main movers for the downward thrust. The quadriceps
serve mostly to straighten out the knees. When you stand up to ride, especially uphill, the
calf muscles get a better workout, although most of the body's other muscles come into play in
some way during hard riding. The faster you go, the more you use the other muscles. When you
flex a joint, the opposing muscles also exert some force, even when they're extending, to act
as regulators of the contracting muscles.

Steve McDonald

[email protected] (Papayahed1) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> The glutes and lower back help with stabilization to provide a base of support (mobility on
> stability)but it's the quads that work to straighten the knee and the calves which plantar flex
> the foot which rotates the pedal that turns the crank which moves the chain that turns the wheel
> which moves the bike that Karen rides.

You have just described the typical lazy natural pedaling style which has been recommended by all "
experts " down through the years and then they are mystified by cycling related lower back pain.
You do not see a weight lifter using his lower back as part of his lifting technique.

"Papayahed1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > "Peter Cole" [email protected]
> wrote on 10-13:
>

> >The biomechanics of cycling, and the role/contribution of individual muscle groups is
> >complicated, but most of the power comes from "hip extensors":
> >
> >http://analyticcycling.com/PedalForcesAtPedal_Page.html
> >
> >Anyone who has used muscle isolating machines in the gym knows that the hip/back extensors are
> >much more powerful than the knee/lower leg
extensors.

> I would agree with what you said if biking was limited to pedaling while out
of
> the seat. However, a seated cyclist uses relatively little hip movement
when
> compared with active range of motion at the knee.

If you follow the link I gave to the pedaling model, you'll see that the hip torque is much larger
than the knee torque.