General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Leg muscles knotting up question

Started by Duane · · Last activity · 3 posts · 884 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
6 March 2004
Last activity
11 March 2004
Original author
Duane
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
884
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I ride a bicycle a lot-200+ miles per week. It seems like if
    i do not ride for a couple of days and try to run my leg
    muscles(quads in particular) knot up so bad i cannot even
    walk. I try to stretch real good before i run. This will
    never happen if i ride immediately before running. If i do
    not ride for 2-3 days even a long walk will cause this
    problem. Seems like the muscles/bands just contract from not
    bike riding and knot up. Any suggestions on how to fix this.
    I run about 10 miles per week, maybe i just to not run
    enough in relation to my bike riding. Thanks for any
    replies. Duane

  2. "Duane" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I ride a bicycle a lot-200+ miles per week. It seems like
    if i do not ride for a couple of days and try to run my
    leg muscles(quads in particular) knot up so bad i cannot
    even walk. I try to stretch real good before i run. This
    will never happen if i ride immediately before running. If
    i do not ride for 2-3 days even a long walk will cause
    this problem. Seems like the muscles/bands just contract
    from not bike riding and knot up. Any suggestions on how
    to fix this. I run about 10 miles per week, maybe i just
    to not run enough in relation to my bike riding. Thanks
    for any replies. Duane

    I would be very careful running cold, even more careful
    stretching cold. Maybe, a younger person could take more
    risks with this.

    Perhaps, your muscles have become so specialized to cycling,
    or you allow insufficient recovery, that you lack the
    balance for other events.

    Do you have any seasonal breaks in your cycling training to
    allow for recovery and cross training?

    Doing some walking or running after every longish cycle ride
    or doing some compensation training in the gym might help.

    Have you had some flexibility evaluation? Learned how
    to overcome the stretch reflex when stretching? Do you
    know your quad to ham strength ratios? Taken some hatha
    yoga classes?

  3. Bill said:

    "Duane" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I ride a bicycle a lot-200+ miles per week. It seems like
    if i do not ride for a couple of days and try to run my
    leg muscles(quads in particular) knot up so bad i cannot
    even walk. I try to stretch real good before i run. This
    will never happen if i ride immediately before running.

    Emphasizing some of Bill's comment, is it possible you're
    not warming up enough before running or not doing the
    *right* stretches *properly* (see Bill's last paragraph) -
    maybe quad stretches? I sometimes use mtn biking as a way to
    warm up before running (bike to trailhead, run trails,
    return), and usually use the last bit of biking before the
    run to drop my heels to stretch the achilles, my weak point
    (not your issue, I know, just an example). What stretches do
    you do and how do you warm up before running? Do you stretch
    after riding on the other days? - this may affect tightness
    on following days.

    Dot

    --
    "Success is different things to different people" -Bernd
    Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.