Leg pain - side of leg below hip

metgt4

Jun 5, 2010
I've been spending more time on the bike lately and have found tha around the 3 hour mark I begin to have pains located in the outside of my Left thigh (no pain in my right thigh)just below the hip. The pain lessens of o take a couple of minutes rest, but doesn't go away. Does anybody have any idea what could be causing this? Muscle imbalances? Improper crank length? Cleat alignment? I'm fairly new to the sport and don't have the slightest clue what it could be!

Thanks!
Andrew

metgt4 said:
I've been spending more time on the bike lately and have found tha around the 3 hour mark I begin to have pains located in the outside of my Left thigh (no pain in my right thigh)just below the hip. The pain lessens of o take a couple of minutes rest, but doesn't go away. Does anybody have any idea what could be causing this? Muscle imbalances? Improper crank length? Cleat alignment? I'm fairly new to the sport and don't have the slightest clue what it could be!

Thanks!
Andrew

Hi Andrew,
I don't really like giving fitting advice and/or medical advice on-line. I recommend first going to see your fitter, and if that doesn't help, go see your doc. However, lots of cyclists develop IT band problems. The IT band runs from the hip to the knee. Muscle imbalances and poor bike fit can be culprits for ITBS. However, sometimes just rolling out the IT band with a foam roller can make worlds of difference in terms of alleviating pain. But again, please talk to your fitter and your doc.