Leg Pains

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Jim Morgan, Oct 18, 2003.

  1. Jim Morgan

    Jim Morgan Guest

    OK, emboldened by Beverly I am just going to jump in.

    Started walking about three to four weeks ago. I am fairly fit but hurt my back and currently cannot
    swim--can't turn. Anyway my wife and I are walking 30 minutes 5-6 times a week. We walk mostly on
    asphalt unless we can get out early and can walk through the golf course near us. About ten minutes
    in to a walk I develop a sharp pain on the outside of my right shin. Probably shin splints, but I
    thought they were usually on the inside.

    So my question is, have others experienced this. If so what have they done. Is the only solution to
    qut for a while. I hope not as I am enjoying this with my wife--although I hate walking alone.

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    jim morgan

    Tags:

  2. Cat

    Cat Guest

    Shin splints. Yup, I've had those. Do some research on the internet and see what you find. In my
    case, I only had to stop walking for a few days and then not walk so fast after that. I've never had
    them return.

    Cat

    "Jim Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > OK, emboldened by Beverly I am just going to jump in.
    >
    > Started walking about three to four weeks ago. I am fairly fit but hurt my back and currently
    > cannot swim--can't turn. Anyway my wife and I are walking 30 minutes 5-6 times a week. We walk
    > mostly on asphalt unless we can get out early and can walk through the golf course near us. About
    > ten minutes in to a walk I develop a sharp pain on the outside of my right shin. Probably shin
    > splints, but I thought they were usually on the inside.
    >
    > So my question is, have others experienced this. If so what have they done. Is the only solution
    > to qut for a while. I hope not as I am enjoying this with my wife--although I hate walking alone.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help.
    >
    > jim morgan

  3. Beverly

    Beverly Guest

    Hi Jim,

    Here's an article from runnersworld.com that has info on shin splints.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/home/0,1300,1-78-79-529,00.html

    As the article states it's usually a result of too much, too soon. I often get them if I haven't
    been walking a lot. I get some relief by walking slower and doing some stretching exercises. Make
    sure your shoes are in good condition as this is often a contributing factor.

    Hope the problem improves soon.

    Beverly

    "Jim Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > OK, emboldened by Beverly I am just going to jump in.
    >
    > Started walking about three to four weeks ago. I am fairly fit but hurt my back and currently
    > cannot swim--can't turn. Anyway my wife and I are walking 30 minutes 5-6 times a week. We walk
    > mostly on asphalt unless we can get out early and can walk through the golf course near us. About
    > ten minutes in to a walk I develop a sharp pain on the outside of my right shin. Probably shin
    > splints, but I thought they were usually on the inside.
    >
    > So my question is, have others experienced this. If so what have they done. Is the only solution
    > to qut for a while. I hope not as I am enjoying this with my wife--although I hate walking alone.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help.
    >
    > jim morgan

  4. Fiona

    Fiona Guest

    could you advise on how much walking should be done for excercise to begin with and what you should
    build up to?

    thanks

  5. Beverly

    Beverly Guest

    "fiona" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > could you advise on how much walking should be done for excercise to begin with and what you
    > should build up to?
    >
    > thanks

    This is going to depend on your current physical condition. If you haven't exercised it quite
    sometime you probably want to start with just a few minutes each day to allow your muscles to become
    accustomed to walking. Add time each day until you're at the level you desire.

  6. Speacock

    Speacock Guest

    fiona wrote:

    > could you advise on how much walking should be done for excercise to begin with and what you
    > should build up to?
    >
    > thanks

    http://www.exrx.net/Beginning.html

    Check this out: specifically walking programs.

  7. Speacock

    Speacock Guest

    Pain in the immediate front of the lower leg (either side) is usually termed shin splints. Going
    slower, and relaxing the curl of the toes while you walk. Check out to see if you are not 'biting'
    down with your toes as you walk. Walk at a medium pace as it begins to hurt, slow down or just stop
    for a few minutes, take the opportunity to look around, take a few deep breaths. Within two weeks if
    the pain is still there or gets worse see a physician - there is then a problem that is not easily
    or self 'cured'.

    Walking on a hard surface is not nice on the legs -- anymore than standing on a hard surface all day
    long. Even though turf/grass is more uneven and will cause more effort and tire you faster, it is
    better for your lower body...less impact.

    That you get this pain localized on one leg may indicate that one leg is a little longer than the
    other or you are not quite standing/walking errect..or other similar compensatory things.
    Chiropractors claim to be able to fix this problem, but so do shoe lifts or proper Orthodics. The
    later are cheaper.

    Jim Morgan wrote:

    > OK, emboldened by Beverly I am just going to jump in.
    >
    > Started walking about three to four weeks ago. I am fairly fit but hurt my back and currently
    > cannot swim--can't turn. Anyway my wife and I are walking 30 minutes 5-6 times a week. We walk
    > mostly on asphalt unless we can get out early and can walk through the golf course near us. About
    > ten minutes in to a walk I develop a sharp pain on the outside of my right shin. Probably shin
    > splints, but I thought they were usually on the inside.
    >
    > So my question is, have others experienced this. If so what have they done. Is the only solution
    > to qut for a while. I hope not as I am enjoying this with my wife--although I hate walking alone.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help.
    >
    > jim morgan

  8. Cat

    Cat Guest

    Your body will tell you how much to do. Start out by walking 10-15 mintues a day for a week. If that
    seems easy, increase to 20-30 minutes the second week. And so on. When it gets to be too
    uncomfortable or you start getting pain, ease back. (If you get real pain, not just discomfort, stop
    walking and figure out what is wrong. Give it time to heal, then try again at a lower, slower pace.)

    Cat