Leg power discrepency

Billsworld said:
Fday, I have them and use them indoors for a specific purpose and mix them with roller work and weights. My only negative observation/suggestion would be to make a version that the pedals lock into the correct forward position. It is hard to get back into correct position when your hip flexors are on fire. Being a fast twitch guy , I simply dont ride enough to fully adapt. FWIW , I can sprint on them but tempo is brutal.
We do make a version you can lock into regular cranks, but you have to get off the bike to do it (takes about 30-60 seconds).

Fday said:
We do make a version you can lock into regular cranks, but you have to get off the bike to do it (takes about 30-60 seconds).
I still want the cranks to function in a way that requires contstant pressure in the full circle.(independent) I just want them to stop in the 180 position. Nothing worse than trying to find 180 position when your hip flexors are junk. Maybe I am a lazy trackie

Billsworld said:
I still want the cranks to function in a way that requires contstant pressure in the full circle.(independent) I just want them to stop in the 180 position. Nothing worse than trying to find 180 position when your hip flexors are junk. Maybe I am a lazy trackie
I am working on something like that. Would be track legal and similar to regular cranks but give you feedback if you didn't keep 180º. Would have the most usefulness for those who are already PC trained so don't stop doing what you are doing. No time-frame yet but I am working on it.

Fday said:
I am working on something like that. Would be track legal and similar to regular cranks but give you feedback if you didn't keep 180º. Would have the most usefulness for those who are already PC trained so don't stop doing what you are doing. No time-frame yet but I am working on it.
Do I get to test the prototype?;)

Billsworld,

How long have you been using them? I found that for the first month that anything over a few minutes at a time was just a nightmare. I had to ride pretty much everyday as best I could in order to get any sort of time on the bike and then I couldn't do more than a few minutes at a time before having to relax for about 10 or 15 seconds.

I found that it was easier if I backed off the effort considerably and pedalled at around 65rpm in a biggish gear at around 17mph.

After 6 weeks I was doing "better" and thankfully I was able to pretty much get the cranks positioned correctly without thinking about it. It's been about 12 weeks since I put them on and they're pretty peachy, so much so that I kinda like the way I'm forced to ride.

swampy1970 said:
Billsworld,

How long have you been using them? I found that for the first month that anything over a few minutes at a time was just a nightmare. I had to ride pretty much everyday as best I could in order to get any sort of time on the bike and then I couldn't do more than a few minutes at a time before having to relax for about 10 or 15 seconds.

I found that it was easier if I backed off the effort considerably and pedalled at around 65rpm in a biggish gear at around 17mph.

After 6 weeks I was doing "better" and thankfully I was able to pretty much get the cranks positioned correctly without thinking about it. It's been about 12 weeks since I put them on and they're pretty peachy, so much so that I kinda like the way I'm forced to ride.
Today I did a video interview with a "local" rider who has been on the cranks for 6 weeks now. I hope to have the interview up on the site soon. He is now up to 70+ miles on them and is intending to do the Death Ride on the PowerCranks this summer. He finished last year approximately in the top 50 so this should be a good test of what they can do for someone who is already "pretty good" in 6 months, at least for climbing.

swampy1970 said:
Billsworld,

About 3 months, and I do ride a 53x12 on the kurt trainer. I also do sprints in that gear with no problems. I bought them because of many old injuries and to basicly experiment a bit. I only race short sprint events on the track and dont ride enough distance to adapt to them in the way that you are supposed to. I am fortunate to have lots of bikes and therefore I have training specific bikes to experiment with stuff. For me they are a training tool that seems to be effective as are weights and riding at 120-220 rpms on rollers. I cant endorse them for you road guys because I dont have much knowledge of endurance riding, but they are good for what I intended them for...Injury problems, hip flexor strength and maybe smoother spin.FWIW, I was ready to hunt Frank down with a hunting rifle after week 1:)

Billsworld said:
About 3 months, and I do ride a 53x12 on the kurt trainer. I also do sprints in that gear with no problems. I bought them because of many old injuries and to basicly experiment a bit. I only race short sprint events on the track and dont ride enough distance to adapt to them in the way that you are supposed to. I am fortunate to have lots of bikes and therefore I have training specific bikes to experiment with stuff. For me they are a training tool that seems to be effective as are weights and riding at 120-220 rpms on rollers. I cant endorse them for you road guys because I dont have much knowledge of endurance riding, but they are good for what I intended them for...Injury problems, hip flexor strength and maybe smoother spin.FWIW, I was ready to hunt Frank down with a hunting rifle after week 1:)
You resisted that urge for a full week. I only managed two days.... and Walnut Creek is only a 30 minute drive from my house. Frank's saving grace was that after training and having to walk upstairs backwards to get a shower the thought of walking downstairs wasn't too appealing. LOL I knew years ago that I had a problem with muscle balance and power discrepancy between legs and after more than a decade off the bike I noticed it was even worse and getting worse by the month after I got back on the bike. The irony was it seems as though the leg I thought was the stronger is actually the weaker....:eek:

swampy1970 said:
You resisted that urge for a full week. I only managed two days.... and Walnut Creek is only a 30 minute drive from my house. Frank's saving grace was that after training and having to walk upstairs backwards to get a shower the thought of walking downstairs wasn't too appealing. LOL I knew years ago that I had a problem with muscle balance and power discrepancy between legs and after more than a decade off the bike I noticed it was even worse and getting worse by the month after I got back on the bike. The irony was it seems as though the leg I thought was the stronger is actually the weaker....:eek:
I had torn an ACL a while ago and then powerlifted for about 8 years before the repair. This has left me with some imbalance between hamstrings that my masage therapist pointed out. I then ruptured a disc and have been focused on sorting out the imbalance problems. They become glaring on PCs. I also do most of my weight training one leg at a time. I cant credit PCs for all the progress, but it seem to be getting better. I am in the Northeast and have only done a few outdoor sprint workouts outdoors. It feels odd being on the road after doing all indoor work, but my power numbers are near PBs. I may never be a guy who sings the benifits of PCs from the hill tops, but I call it like I see it. Sorry for the spam Alex. Your aces in my book mate:)

Fday said:
Today I did a video interview with a "local" rider who has been on the cranks for 6 weeks now. I hope to have the interview up on the site soon. He is now up to 70+ miles on them and is intending to do the Death Ride on the PowerCranks this summer. He finished last year approximately in the top 50 so this should be a good test of what they can do for someone who is already "pretty good" in 6 months, at least for climbing.
As promised:

Bobby Escay PowerCranks interview

I've listened to Bobby Escay interview. This guy is amazing, first ride ever with PC's :40 miles:eek: That's something I would have said impossible from my own experience (and also from some others). 70 miles+ after 6 weeks , that's another record breaker, I must say. I do this mileage now without problem but it took me at least 8/10 weeks to get there.

veloventoux said:
I've listened to Bobby Escay interview. This guy is amazing, first ride ever with PC's :40 miles:eek: That's something I would have said impossible from my own experience (and also from some others). 70 miles+ after 6 weeks , that's another record breaker, I must say. I do this mileage now without problem but it took me at least 8/10 weeks to get there.
I think some of his achievement can be expained by the fact that he was learning them with 2 other friends, so there was a little friendly competition going on as to who could do something first, etc. Doing the "learning" alone is a lot harder I think.

His 40 mile ride the first day, aside from being a "mistake" can be explained in by the fact it was a somewhat hilly course, so there would have been a fair amount of coasting (resting) on the downhill segments. But, 70 miles after 6 weeks is by no means a record breaker. I know of at least two people who have done 100 mile rides on their THIRD ride. And, I think most (but, not all) people are capable of doing such a ride at the 4-6 week point in the learning curve but few try.

swampy1970 said:
First one to complete the Deathride on Powercranks.... Hmmm. That's it - I'm starting at 3am! :D

... but that initial descent into Markleeville is going to be f'ing freezing! :eek:

Park at the bottom of the hill. :)

tahoebiker said:
Park at the bottom of the hill. :)
You could do that I guess but I like to start and finish at the start and finish....

... besides, I like to support the Firefighters in the area and buy the beer from their little "beer patio" fund raiser tent - I don't want to drink and ride back to the car. ;)

Since you seem to be from that area, what time of year do the high passes tend to open? I know there's a CalTrans page that finally tells you when they are open but I'd like to plan ahead a little.

Sorry for the complete thread hijack there....