Leg Shaving - Electric? Razor? Chemical?

I shave mine - at least once a week. It only takes a couple of minutes from just above the cycling shorts line to the ankle.
At this time of year my cycling tan lines are building up and with shaved legs....I dread public swimming pools!!

I believe that waxing is one if the best way having the beautiful look. Also I believe it is totally worth it to invest on minataining it. It makes sure that you can ride in an easy manner.

Personally, shaving my legs with electrical razor works for me. I don't have thick hairs so I don't really get that itchiness or any other coarse sensation on my legs. Overall, electric razor is not that bad for me and I am too scared to do waxing. However, judging from your case, I think waxing might works better for you as it might be more convenient and the results might suit your need better. I don't talk from experience as I never wax before so don't count me on that.

Razor, definitely! Chemicals tend to make me break out, and electric razors tend to not get close enough. I've tried about everything and the razor has beat out everything else, Hans down.

Serious question: why shave?

I consider myself a serious cyclist but I have never understood shaving...for men, that is. Is there truly some sort of benefit that I haven't discovered or is it a matter of tradition that harkens back to a time when racers believed shaving gave them an aerodynamic advantage? I realize that when I show up to a race or even a lot of organized rides, I am the oddball. I'm not condemning; I really want to know why so many people shave.

fireman7875 said:
Serious question: why shave?

I consider myself a serious cyclist but I have never understood shaving...for men, that is. Is there truly some sort of benefit that I haven't discovered or is it a matter of tradition that harkens back to a time when racers believed shaving gave them an aerodynamic advantage? I realize that when I show up to a race or even a lot of organized rides, I am the oddball. I'm not condemning; I really want to know why so many people shave.
Some people insist on falling off their bikes and getting minor scrapes. They think repairs are easier done if there is no hair in the way.

I don't shave.

Anyone that's fallen off with hairy legs and also shaven legs will tell ya that it ain't the hair that's hard to clean out the road rash - which just leaves the lack of hair to rip out when you remove any band-aid or dressings covering said wound.

I know masseuses prefer shaven legs...

Electric shaving is best especially for people whose skin over reacts to different chemicals. Shaving chemicals can make one feel an itchy effect when you sweat,which makes electric shaving more preferable. You can also try using the razor and see if it suits you. Be careful not to cut and injure yourself.

AT the start of the season I take the trimmers and cut off the long hair then I shave them in the shower every two or three days. Takes about two minutes each leg. From mid thigh to the ankle. No big deal really.

I love the precision of electric. I feel smoother than ever if I shave legs with electric, and I have noticed how it has effected my aerodynamics. However, the best way to do it is to have it waxed professionally. There is no way that is more guaranteed than a full professional waxing at a spa, salon or barber. If you are just casually training, electric should be fine, but the serious people have it waxed by professionals.

Shaving is all about speed. The recent test results from the Specialized wind tunnel would seem to make shaving mandatory for any serious TT or racer. They tested 5 or 6 cyclists and reported a huge drag reduction of 7%, or 15 W, or 50-82 seconds over a 40K TT. Even if the savings was one tenth of the measured values it would be well worth doing for competitive racers.