Leg Shaving - Electric? Razor? Chemical?

redwoodcyclist

Nov 18, 2003
I'm getting serious now. After years of feeling like an impostor, I want to announce that I am a serious cyclist. I will shave the legs. First, what's the best way to do the first shave? It's a lot of hair. Electric, razor or that chemical stuff that melts hair? Also, how do most of you maintain the hairless look? Is it worth it to invest in an electric?

Go to a salon and get waxed 2-3 times, and experiment in between doing it yourself at home...

Originally posted by redwoodcyclist
I'm getting serious now. After years of feeling like an impostor, I want to announce that I am a serious cyclist. I will shave the legs. First, what's the best way to do the first shave? It's a lot of hair. Electric, razor or that chemical stuff that melts hair? Also, how do most of you maintain the hairless look? Is it worth it to invest in an electric?

Electric works for me, as long as I do it every week and not let it grow too much. If I skip it for a couple weeks, the blade works great, even though my legs are pretty hairy.

Hi Boys as a professional Electrolysis and Esthetician I would recommend legs waxing stay away from the chemical.
The chemical have to high of a PH for your skin. Electrolysis is the best but the most expensive and will kill the hair root for ever. You might want some hair when you 70 years old. I also recommend a good physical not chemical sun screen to be used on every ride. The sun is the number one emeny of your skin take care of it while your young.

Get them waxed. They stay smooth for ages so by the time you need to get them done again you've forgotten how much it hurt last time.

If you really can't face it... well, you're a wimp. But stay away from the hair melting stuff, it's just disgusting if you have lots of hair and really slow. Wet shaves are the easiest once the hair is short (if it's really thick perhaps trimming with scissors first?) but you'll need to do it every week or so in the summer, do it stood up in the shower rather than in the bath as it's easier to reach the difficult spots and to wash away the hair. If you get good and do it regularly, shaving your legs shouldn't take much longer than shaving your face. BUT you have to do it every week and you get stubble. Waxing is every couple of months and a nice soft non-itchy regrowth.

Go the wax man, the 1 hour of smoothness after shaving is nothing compared to the entire WEEK of agonising itch after the shave...

Originally posted by Azulene
Electrolysis is the best but the most expensive and will kill the hair root for ever. You might want some hair when you 70 years old.
To keep your legs warm or give your grand kids something to hold onto ;)

i use electric hair clippers, i have never shaved my legs or my face and im 37. hair clippers work for me maybe it's because im not a hairy person to begin with.also if you do use the clippers it wont itch growing back.

The only real way you get a good hairless look is with some genetic manipulation, but if it's a bit late for that, the next best is to get a very attractive young lady to pull each of them out, one at a time, with her teeth.

Guys.....what hell do you think us gals go through all the time?!

Wax it. If you can sit on a razor blade of a seat for 5 hours you can do 30 minutes of quick ripping every couple of weeks. After a while the hair gets less conrary to other believes so it gets easier and at a salon they know their craft and it will be over before you know it. Honest!

I get mine waxed every 3 weeks (fortunately my wife is a beauty therapist, so it is easy to book an appointment). The only problem with waxing is that when you get goose pimples, it really prickles (until the hair has grown above the skin surface - about 2 weeks)

Originally posted by Julian Radowsky
I get mine waxed every 3 weeks (fortunately my wife is a beauty therapist, so it is easy to book an appointment). The only problem with waxing is that when you get goose pimples, it really prickles (until the hair has grown above the skin surface - about 2 weeks)

Exfoliate then...not as in pumice stone but a real opening of the pores and then get one of your wives (woah, re reading and it sounds kinky.....hoping you took it the right way as in your Wife being a beauty therapist hence having many creams/treatmewnts etc...NOT multiple wives!!!) granulated creams and rub it in to break the skin on a daily basis so as to stop ingrowing hairs let alone itching on the re growth! I'm sure you both know that but posted for others who may not.

Hair removal is so tedious yet often incredibly necessary isn't it?!!!!

Damn, why did we originate from monkeys and not some other naturally smooth mamal?!!!!!!

;) Alice x

p.s.... could you do me a favour as would like to ask your wife a question re (spluttering here) something she would know about but am too afraid or care to) to voice it in an open forum re waxing etc.....? p.m/email me if/when you have discussed it?

I agree go the wax, then maintain it via exfoliation.

The cactis like regrowth of shaving drives me mad, the folicles get used to being pulled out over time :p

What was Alice refering to?

Brian

Originally posted by Brizza
I agree go the wax, then maintain it via exfoliation.

The cactis like regrowth of shaving drives me mad, the folicles get used to being pulled out over time :p

What was Alice refering to?

Brian

You don't need to know. Cracking up as I post another Boogert grin....darn, those knashers are really polished arn't they?! Who would need wax when he retires?!!!! Mickey, we will employ you ANYTIME ! :)

See other irrelevant posts if still stuck ~handing the flex if you havn't worked it out by now~ (Damn, Chechu won't wink at me again on those climbs after these postings!!!!! :( )

Alice x

:D

Originally posted by alicem
Exfoliate then...

actually.

shaving IS a form of exfoliating. whenever you use a razor you are removing some epithelial cells in the outer dermal layer.

:)

Waxing is also a form of exfoliation - the wax does not just pull out hairs, it lifts off the surface layer of dead skin cells!

Originally posted by Julian Radowsky
Waxing is also a form of exfoliation - the wax does not just pull out hairs, it lifts off the surface layer of dead skin cells!

Mountain biking is also a form of Exfoliating. haha.

girls love dirt.!

Waxing is a form of exfloiation. But Among all these none is that much good as that of waxing and hairs comes after many days. and if hairs are removed by some chemical it is harmful for skin , and by doing with razor hairs come very often