Leg shaving recommendations

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by R Zych, Feb 14, 2003.

  1. R Zych

    R Zych Guest

    Presently I am using a disposable shaver but would like to try an electric shaver. What type is best
    suited for shaving male legs or is the blade still the best. The reason for changing would be
    convenience and I'm tired of all the nicks.

    Thanx Rob

    Tags:

  2. Ken Papai

    Ken Papai Guest

    "R Zych" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Presently I am using a disposable shaver but would like to try an electric shaver. What type is
    > best suited for shaving male legs or is the blade
    still
    > the best. The reason for changing would be convenience and I'm tired of
    all
    > the nicks.

    There's a funny commercial on U.S. TV showing a bunch of Cat 1 racers and shaving. What brand is
    that razor?

  3. "Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > "R Zych" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> Presently I am using a disposable shaver but would like to try an electric shaver. What type is
    >> best suited for shaving male legs or is the blade
    > still
    >> the best. The reason for changing would be convenience and I'm tired of
    > all
    >> the nicks.
    >
    > There's a funny commercial on U.S. TV showing a bunch of Cat 1 racers and shaving. What brand is
    > that razor?

    Troll-O-Meter

    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

    ^

    -b

  4. Rob,

    Get 'em waxed - last longer and over time the hair doesn't grow back. Draw back is the pain (why do
    women do it?) and the cost.

    scott

    "R Zych" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Presently I am using a disposable shaver but would like to try an electric shaver. What type is
    > best suited for shaving male legs or is the blade
    still
    > the best. The reason for changing would be convenience and I'm tired of
    all
    > the nicks.
    >
    > Thanx Rob

  5. Adflkj

    Adflkj Guest

    better yet, use Nair. I know its kinda sissy, but it works for me and with the quick 4 minute
    formula its easy to do before a shower.

    Drawbacks:
    1. Smells awful
    2. I slipped in the shower once as the damn stuff coated the floor of the shower while i
    rinsed it off!

    But for ease and convenience I prefer it to any kind of shaving.

  6. In article <[email protected]>, "adflkj" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > better yet, use Nair. I know its kinda sissy, but it works for me and with the quick 4 minute
    > formula its easy to do before a shower.
    >
    > Drawbacks:
    > 1. Smells awful
    > 2. I slipped in the shower once as the damn stuff coated the floor of the shower while i rinsed
    > it off!
    >
    > But for ease and convenience I prefer it to any kind of shaving.

    Yuccckk... even I hate neet and Nair.

    I just use those lady shave creams for legs- they don't smell bad, and what scents they do have wash
    away in the shower so you don't smell 'girly'.

    I remember my boyfriend used "EDGE" -for his face- the gel that becomes a foam. The lady shave
    creams are like that. I remember he didn't like EDGE because he said it smelled like Sprite.

  7. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, "adflkj"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > better yet, use Nair. I know its kinda sissy, but it works for me and
    with
    > > the quick 4 minute formula its easy to do before a shower.
    > >
    > > Drawbacks:
    > > 1. Smells awful
    > > 2. I slipped in the shower once as the damn stuff coated the floor of
    the
    > > shower while i rinsed it off!
    > >
    > > But for ease and convenience I prefer it to any kind of shaving.
    > >
    > Yuccckk... even I hate neet and Nair.
    >
    > I just use those lady shave creams for legs- they don't smell bad, and what scents they do have
    > wash away in the shower so you don't smell 'girly'.
    >
    > I remember my boyfriend used "EDGE" -for his face- the gel that becomes a foam. The lady shave
    > creams are like that. I remember he didn't like EDGE because he said it smelled like Sprite.

    I read in one of my ex's girly magazines (don't ask!) that conditioner works as a good lube to shave
    legs with if you're out of regular stuff. Being a cheap bastard, I modified that somewhat: I use
    Pert plus shampoo "with the built in conditioner." Has the added benefit of smelling like shampoo...

    Tried the eclectic once or twice, but like the regular way better.

    Mike

  8. Cycling Joe

    Cycling Joe Guest

    Don't use a razor or an electric shaver. Use electric hair clippers without the guard covers. This
    will allow you to shave to the skin, but it will not cause ingrown hairs and cuts. You can get one
    at Walmart for 15 bucks. Mine has lasted 10 years so it's worth the money.

    R Zych wrote:

    >Presently I am using a disposable shaver but would like to try an electric shaver. What type is
    >best suited for shaving male legs or is the blade still the best. The reason for changing would be
    >convenience and I'm tired of all the nicks.
    >
    >Thanx Rob

  9. Steve

    Steve Guest

    On 2/17/03 12:27 PM, in article [email protected], "Cycling Joe"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Don't use a razor or an electric shaver. Use electric hair clippers without the guard covers.

    I just use hedge clippers. If I put it off for too long I just use the weed wacker. (The ones with
    the fishing line)

    This will allow you to shave to the skin, but
    > it will not cause ingrown hairs and cuts. You can get one at Walmart for 15 bucks. Mine has lasted
    > 10 years so it's worth the money.
    >
    > R Zych wrote:
    >
    >> Presently I am using a disposable shaver but would like to try an electric shaver. What type is
    >> best suited for shaving male legs or is the blade still the best. The reason for changing would
    >> be convenience and I'm tired of all the nicks.
    >>
    >> Thanx Rob

  10. Jx

    Jx Guest

    "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I read in one of my ex's girly magazines (don't ask!) that conditioner works as a good lube to
    > shave legs with if you're out of regular stuff. Being a cheap bastard, I modified that somewhat: I
    > use Pert plus shampoo "with the built in conditioner." Has the added benefit of smelling like
    > shampoo...

    I've done the shampoo thing too. I switched to the Dove Moisturizing Body Wash because I get really
    dry skin in the feb. and march. It seems to work very well for me.

  11. In article <BA7690EF.2BE90%[email protected]>, steve <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 2/17/03 12:27 PM, in article [email protected], "Cycling Joe"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Don't use a razor or an electric shaver. Use electric hair clippers without the guard covers.
    >
    > I just use hedge clippers. If I put it off for too long I just use the weed wacker. (The ones with
    > the fishing line)

    Hey, why stop there? Try pinking shears or perhaps, vegetable shears or even a lemon zester.

  12. Mauiguy

    Mauiguy Guest

    Mach III razor and clear aloe vera gel like the stuff made by Banana Boat. You can find this at most
    Wallgreens, Longs, CVS Drugs, etc. Rub it on with some water and you'll find a little goes a long
    way. The advantage of using aloe instead of shave cream is that you can see what you're doing with
    the razor better and doesn't tend to dry out your skin as bad.

    Be careful though, some aloe gels sold for treating sunburn include a type of numbing anesthetic
    and/or menthol or eucalyptus ingredients. I prefer the clear gel that only contains vitamin E and
    none of the pain releiving or cooling stuff.

    -Gary

    "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I read in one of my ex's girly magazines (don't ask!) that conditioner works as a good lube to
    > shave legs with if you're out of regular stuff. Being a cheap bastard, I modified that somewhat: I
    > use Pert plus shampoo "with the built in conditioner." Has the added benefit of smelling like
    > shampoo...
    >
    > Tried the eclectic once or twice, but like the regular way better.
    >
    > Mike

  13. Slowpokey

    Slowpokey Guest

    Combination,

    When I really want to get close, I use Nair, then I shave it off instead of washing it off.

    Lasts the longest for me. I don't give a *&% about the smell (sissy's) and definetly use one, two,
    three of those new three bladed razors. They work great.

    Want to try waxing some day. My wife says it is the best, but I notice see doesn't wax (she's a
    hairy italian), so I know it's got to hurt.

    I own a Norelco (not that great). A Lady Remington (even worse), and borrow the top of the line
    Braun from my sister (best of the electrics). None come close to nair and 3 bladed razors. So far.

    news:[email protected]...