Leg shaving

Skunk

Guest
I'm not a cycle sports spectator nor anything like a competition cyclis
so I just don't know why some cyclists shave their legs. I have hear
stories about aerodynamics, the massage oil people uses rips hairs fro
the legs and that's a lot more painful than shaving, but I don't know i
any of these reasons are right. Does anyone know the definitive answer

-

Skunk wrote:
> I just don't know why some cyclists shave their legs. I have heard
> stories about aerodynamics, the massage oil people uses rips hairs from
> the legs and that's a lot more painful than shaving, but I don't know if
> any of these reasons are right. Does anyone know the definitive answer.

Fashion.

AIUI massage is easier with shaved legs, and there is likely to be less
road rash after a fall (tarmac apparently grips leg hairs, so a shaved
leg slides smoothly across tarmac while a hairy leg gets the hairs
ripped out). And there's the old joke about doing it to shave off
excess weight. But ultimately I think roadies shave because their mates
do it.

<url:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/>

Skunk wrote:
> I'm not a cycle sports spectator nor anything like a competition cyclist
> so I just don't know why some cyclists shave their legs. I have heard
> stories about aerodynamics, the massage oil people uses rips hairs from
> the legs and that's a lot more painful than shaving, but I don't know if
> any of these reasons are right. Does anyone know the definitive answer.

Easier to massage, looks better with Lycra shorts. I used to shave
every Sunday, but now I'm married I have been banned from the practice :-(

>Easier to massage, looks better with Lycra shorts. I used to shave
>every Sunday, but now I'm married I have been banned from the practice :-(

Tsk, tsk... you should introduce your better half to the joys of her shaving
the bits you cannot reach. I *guarantee* fun :)

Cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

Skunk wrote:
> I'm not a cycle sports spectator nor anything like a competition cyclist
> so I just don't know why some cyclists shave their legs. I have heard
> stories about aerodynamics, the massage oil people uses rips hairs from
> the legs and that's a lot more painful than shaving, but I don't know if
> any of these reasons are right. Does anyone know the definitive answer.

There is no reason. Its done for looks.

Vincent Wilcox wrote:
> Skunk wrote:
>> I'm not a cycle sports spectator nor anything like a competition
>> cyclist so I just don't know why some cyclists shave their legs.

> There is no reason. Its done for looks.

It works for SPD-R as well, though.

--
Guy
===

Victory is ours! Down with Eric the Half A Brain!

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> writes:

> Vincent Wilcox wrote:
>> Skunk wrote:
>>> I'm not a cycle sports spectator nor anything like a competition
>>> cyclist so I just don't know why some cyclists shave their legs.

>> There is no reason. Its done for looks.

> It works for SPD-R as well, though.

Must've been ATACsing thought process to come up with that reply. How
much time did it take?

-dan

--
"please make sure that the person is your friend before you confirm"

>>Easier to massage, looks better with Lycra shorts. I used to shave
>>every Sunday, but now I'm married I have been banned from the practice :-(
>>

> Tsk, tsk... you should introduce your better half to the joys of her shaving
> the bits you cannot reach. I *guarantee* fun :)
>
> Cheers, helen s

My ar$e is staying well and truly hairy thx very much.
I get enough stick from non-cycling friends for shaving
my legs which I shave because they look nicer!

davep

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> Vincent Wilcox wrote:
>
>>Skunk wrote:
>>
>>>I'm not a cycle sports spectator nor anything like a competition
>>>cyclist so I just don't know why some cyclists shave their legs.

>>There is no reason. Its done for looks.

> It works for SPD-R as well, though.

There were certain problems hence they released Shaved Leg versions
(SPD-SL).

in message <[email protected]>, Just zis Guy, you know?
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Vincent Wilcox wrote:
>> Skunk wrote:
>>> I'm not a cycle sports spectator nor anything like a competition
>>> cyclist so I just don't know why some cyclists shave their legs.

>> There is no reason. It's done for looks.

And time.

> It works for SPD-R as well.

;; For in much wisdom is much grief; and he that increaseth
;; knowledge increaseth sorrow.." - Ecclesiastes 1:18

> in message <[email protected]>, Just zis Guy, you know?
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
> > Vincent Wilcox wrote:

> >> There is no reason. It's done for looks.

> And time.

In what way does shaving legs have an effect on time?

Other than the time wasted doing the shaving.

Alan

Alan Holmes [email protected] opined the following...
> In what way does shaving legs have an effect on time?
> Other than the time wasted doing the shaving.

Reduced wind resistance? I doubt very much that my hairy legs are what
is holding me back in my cycling. I think that the two genuine reasons
that have been cited are:

1) For ease of access to the skin in case of accident / for massage.
2) Because it allows you to show off your muscle.

Which I guess means that there is really only one genuine reason, and
one issue of vanity!

Jon

Alan Holmes wrote:

> "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>in message <[email protected]>, Just zis Guy, you know?
>>('[email protected]') wrote:

>>And time.

not for time. If you are a member of a team with a masseur (generally
pro teams or amateur continental teams) they won't touch unshaved legs.
I assume English time triallists do it either for similar reasons or to
ape continental riders.

Someone already mentioned the fun of cleaning gravel out of hairy legs
and removing bandages etc after the frequent spills in 'massed start'
racing (hmmm I sound like a BLRC member!)

In message <[email protected]>, David
Off <[email protected]> writes

>Someone already mentioned the fun of cleaning gravel out of hairy legs
>and removing bandages etc after the frequent spills in 'massed start'
>racing (hmmm I sound like a BLRC member!)

Then why is it that off-road cyclists who fall off all the time don't
shave their legs, and road riders who seldom fall off do the shaving?

NB anyone who doesn't like stubble could wax his legs instead!

--
Sue ];:))

Sue wrote:
> In message <[email protected]>, David
> Off <[email protected]> writes
>

>> Someone already mentioned the fun of cleaning gravel out of hairy legs
>> and removing bandages etc after the frequent spills in 'massed start'
>> racing (hmmm I sound like a BLRC member!)

> Then why is it that off-road cyclists who fall off all the time don't
> shave their legs, and road riders who seldom fall off do the shaving?
>
> NB anyone who doesn't like stubble could wax his legs instead!

When I was a kid I fell and caught gravel rash. I didn't
have to scrub it out, I'm still alive.

The question I guess is why would I want to look like the
fifth member of back alley boys? Can't be arsed shaving my
****, back and chest to match. There are people out there
who go for the crack back and sack wax! Not sure whether
wearing a helmet helps?

Vincent Wilcox <[email protected]> wrote:

: The question I guess is why would I want to look like the
: fifth member of back alley boys? Can't be arsed shaving my
: ****, back and chest to match. There are people out there
: who go for the crack back and sack wax! Not sure whether
: wearing a helmet helps?

No, no. It's a back, sack and crack. You definately don't want
your helmet waxed :)

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook

Sue <[email protected]> wrote:

: Then why is it that off-road cyclists who fall off all the time don't
: shave their legs, and road riders who seldom fall off do the shaving?

Offroad racers do, offroad recreational riders don't IME.

It's the whole "I'm a racer" thing.

Arthur (saved legs)

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 01:14:36 +0100, Sue <[email protected]> wrote
in message <[email protected]>:

>Then why is it that off-road cyclists who fall off all the time don't
>shave their legs, and road riders who seldom fall off do the shaving?

I thought you did shave yours, tho, Sue?