Leg shaving

[email protected] wrote:
> I'm not a cycle sports spectator nor anything like a competition cyclist
> so I just don't know why some cyclists shave their legs.

1. It looks good. Self-reward for all that effort.

2. If you do come off, hair makes cleaning a wound quite a bit harder
and consequently more painful than it would otherwise be. I speak from
one experience, where I did the typical going-slowly-fall-off-to-one-
side-and-scrape-knee trick. The patch of torn skin was a bit messy -
blood, grit, hair. I cleaned it with salvon patches, which I always
take with me. If the hair had been absent, it would have been much
easier.

Note plasters never stick - too much liquid around, sweat. Even if you
dry the wound, it becomes slick rapidly, since you're still sweating;
the plaster just falls off.

--
Callas

[email protected] wrote:
> I agree it is not the best look to have when you are walking around the
> uni campus in shorts with no hair on your legs!!

Speak for yourself. I've got legs like tree trunks and I think it looks
great :)

--
Callas

[email protected] wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > I'm not a cycle sports spectator nor anything like a competition cyclist
> > so I just don't know why some cyclists shave their legs.

> 1. It looks good. Self-reward for all that effort.
>
> 2. If you do come off, hair makes cleaning a wound quite a bit harder
> and consequently more painful than it would otherwise be. I speak from
> one experience, where I did the typical going-slowly-fall-off-to-one-
> side-and-scrape-knee trick. The patch of torn skin was a bit messy -
> blood, grit, hair. I cleaned it with salvon patches, which I always
> take with me. If the hair had been absent, it would have been much
> easier.

3. Preference. I think you get used to being shaved, because it feels
nice. Once you've done it for a short while, you come to prefer being
shaved because it's comfortable and your perception of hair changes; you
begin to perceive leg hair as ugly.

--
Callas

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 14:40:20 +0100 someone who may be Callas
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>3. Preference. I think you get used to being shaved, because it feels
>nice.

In my experience (of women) shaved legs only feel nice for a
relatively short time. Then they feel prickly. The nice feeling can
be restored by a thin covering of nylon and lycra though:)

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

Callas wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>>[email protected] wrote:
>>
>>>I'm not a cycle sports spectator nor anything like a competition cyclist
>>>so I just don't know why some cyclists shave their legs.

>>1. It looks good. Self-reward for all that effort.
>>
>>2. If you do come off, hair makes cleaning a wound quite a bit harder
>>and consequently more painful than it would otherwise be. I speak from
>>one experience, where I did the typical going-slowly-fall-off-to-one-
>>side-and-scrape-knee trick. The patch of torn skin was a bit messy -
>>blood, grit, hair. I cleaned it with salvon patches, which I always
>>take with me. If the hair had been absent, it would have been much
>>easier.

> 3. Preference. I think you get used to being shaved, because it feels
> nice. Once you've done it for a short while, you come to prefer being
> shaved because it's comfortable and your perception of hair changes; you
> begin to perceive leg hair as ugly.
>
> --
> Callas

So, is it really a kind of sensual thing then?

Ed