Leg shaving

in message <[email protected]>, marc
('marccdimspamremovedimspamto [email protected]') wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, usenet-
> [email protected] says...
>> I'm not a cycle sports spectator nor anything like a competition
>> cyclist so I just don't know why some cyclists shave their legs. I
>> have heard stories about aerodynamics, the massage oil people uses
>> rips hairs from the legs and that's a lot more painful than shaving,
>> but I don't know if any of these reasons are right. Does anyone know
>> the definitive answer.
>>

> 'cos that's what cyclists do and your not a real cyclist unless you
> do! What more reason is needed?

It's all these Frenchies and Eytalians. They all shave their legs and
wear perfume and carry handbags, and some misguided pansies in British
cycling think they have to immitate this.

;; not so much a refugee from reality, more a bogus
;; asylum seeker

wardie2000 <[email protected]> wrote:

: Having a leg massage with hair makes no difference in my opinion at
: all. The only reason to do with massages is that it makes the masseurs
: job easier.

If you are a pro though, that's very important. I had a chat with the
guy that does massages for the British team when they go abroad and he
was not keen on doing hairy legs - said they were much more hard work,
couldn't get a smooth, deep stroke and used loads more oil.

(This was at a training camp. Being a polite chap he of course did the
guys with hairy legs as well with no complaints).

: I agree it is not the best look to have when you are walking around the
: uni campus in shorts with no hair on your legs!!

Depends. I like the look personally, as do a surprising number of women.
Some women really dislike it though.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook

Simonb <[email protected]> wrote:
: marc wrote:

:> 'cos that's what cyclists do and your not a real cyclist unless you
:> do! What more reason is needed?

: Replace 'cyclists' with 'racers' and you've got a point.

What? There's a difference?

--

On Tue, 18 May 2004 08:35:06 GMT, Simon Brooke wrote:

> It's all these Frenchies and Eytalians. They all shave their legs and
> wear perfume and carry handbags, and some misguided pansies in British
> cycling think they have to immitate this.

Xenophobe and homophobe, are you?
--
Michael MacClancy
Random putdown - "A modest little person, with much to be modest about."-

Skunk <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm not a cycle sports spectator nor anything like a competition cyclist
> so I just don't know why some cyclists shave their legs. I have heard
> stories about aerodynamics, the massage oil people uses rips hairs from
> the legs and that's a lot more painful than shaving, but I don't know if
> any of these reasons are right. Does anyone know the definitive answer.

Vanity.

--
Dave...

On 18 May 2004 09:58:49 GMT, Arthur Clune wrote:

> Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>: Xenophobe and homophobe, are you?
>
> I think you missed the humour there...

I think you missed mine, too.....
--
Michael MacClancy
Random putdown - "His mother should have thrown him away and kept the

in message <[email protected]>, Michael
MacClancy ('[email protected]') wrote:

> On Tue, 18 May 2004 08:35:06 GMT, Simon Brooke wrote:
>
>> It's all these Frenchies and Eytalians. They all shave their legs and
>> wear perfume and carry handbags, and some misguided pansies in
>> British cycling think they have to immitate this.

> Xenophobe and homophobe, are you?

Now don't 'ee be a-callin oi all those larng high-falutin names, sithee,
moi lad. That's nart p'lite, that's nart.

,/| _.--''^``-...___.._.,;
/, \'. _-' ,--,,,--'''
{ \ `_-'' ' /
`;;' ; ; ;
._..--'' ._,,, _..' .;.'
(,_....----''' (,..--''

"davek" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I read something recently (was it here?) about swimmers shaving off all body
> hair up to and including their eyebrows for aerodynamic* advantage only for
> some scientist to discover that eyebrow hairs actually help to *reduce* drag
> in the water - a bit like an otter's fur.

IME swimmers used to remove all body hair because lightly oiled skin
was the best material for cutting through the water (also explains
minimally cut costumes/trunks). Now they remove all body hair because
those sharkskin suits are incredibly tight and not as smooth on the
skin as they are on the water. Ouch!

Sarennah

Arthur Clune wrote:

> Simonb <[email protected]> wrote:
> : marc wrote:
>
> :> 'cos that's what cyclists do and your not a real cyclist unless you
> :> do! What more reason is needed?
>
> : Replace 'cyclists' with 'racers' and you've got a point.
>
> What? There's a difference?

Gosh, you know, having read all this I'm glad I'm a girly now. My legs
are hairless, cycling or not ;-)

I don't have to worry whether it's worth it, or what others'd think of
me if I *did* shave 'em...

--

Velvet

>Gosh, you know, having read all this I'm glad I'm a girly now. My legs
>are hairless, cycling or not ;-)

Sometimes being a girlie has its advantages :)

Cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

>>Gosh, you know, having read all this I'm glad I'm a girly now. My legs
>>are hairless, cycling or not ;-)

> Sometimes being a girlie has its advantages :)
>
> Cheers, helen s

Just a shame the rest of me is so lacking in aerodynamic properties...

I'm absolutely positive that the potential benefits of shaven-leggedness
don't even make the tiniest move toward outweighing the
anti-aerodynamicness that is me :)

--

Velvet

>Just a shame the rest of me is so lacking in aerodynamic properties...

Nah, just look on it has having ample natural fairings ;-)

Cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

>>Just a shame the rest of me is so lacking in aerodynamic properties...

> Nah, just look on it has having ample natural fairings ;-)
>
> Cheers, helen s

LOL!!! Nice description, I like that :)

--

Velvet

>LOL!!! Nice description, I like that :)

It works for me :)

Cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

Velvet wrote:
>>Just a shame the rest of me is so lacking in aerodynamic properties...

and Helen suggested:
> Nah, just look on it has having ample natural fairings ;-)

Perhaps you both need recumbents, where an aerobelly is an advantage.

Maybe I need to start eating at the pub every lunchtime, instead of just
Fridays, in order to go a bit faster :)

<url:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/>

Velvet <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Gosh, you know, having read all this I'm glad I'm a girly now. My legs
> are hairless, cycling or not ;-)
>
> I don't have to worry whether it's worth it, or what others'd think of
> me if I *did* shave 'em...

My partner in a recent Duo Normand refused to shave his legs on the
grounds that he's a customs officer chasing (though almost never
catching) smugglers in boats. He wears shorts on the patrol boat and
reckons his life would not be worth living if he shaved.

--
Dave...

Pete Biggs wrote:
> Skunk wrote:
> > I'm not a cycle sports spectator nor anything like a competition
> > cyclist so I just don't know why some cyclists shave their legs. I
> > have heard stories about aerodynamics, the massage oil people uses
> > rips hairs from the legs and that's a lot more painful than shaving,
> > but I don't know if any of these reasons are right. Does anyone know
> > the definitive answer.

> Yes, it's because leg hairs get caught in the bottle cage and front
> mech. Well, that seems no more silly than the road rash theory to me.
> Wouldn't the hair be ripped off along with the skin? Or if the graze
> wasn't bad enough to do that then would there be a problem anyway?
> ~PB

Having come off (definition been knocked of by some damn car) on
couple of occasions i can say from experence the following

-shaved legs are alot easier to clean at the time and thus reduceds th
risk of infection. -easier to deal with when it comes to bandages
plaster, etc. Although your your leg hairs grow back quicker then th
wounds heal. -Wounds take longer to heal when i had not shaved my legs
and i have no idea why. :confused: -It is great fun to play with th
minds of your non-cycling friends and coworks minds about shaving o
waxing, if your male. -My wife likes them this way. :

-