leg soreness cure?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by ChangingLINKS.com, Jul 26, 2005.

  1. Eric L. and I found a new trail two days ago. It's on a hillside.
    Long story short, I did a lot more climbing than usual.

    My thighs, (from knee to hip) are very sore.
    No other muscles are sore enough to mention.
    The thighs are so sore I have trouble walking and such.

    I have tried various solutions with no effect:
    1. I tried stretching the thighs (even laying with my feet under my
    butt). Got stuck there :rolleyes:
    2. I tried using a hammer to bruise the muscle, but could not do it as
    long as usual. In the past that worked well.
    3. I tried lightly punching the muscle for 15 minutes.
    4. I tried using a massage machine (that vibrates) for an hour
    5. I tried Icy Hot
    6. I tried using a hot pack

    I did all of this on the left thigh (to see if it would get better
    faster than the right). It did NOT.

    I'm guessing that guys like AspenMike have solutions for leg soreness
    (aside from "don't overdo it). The soreness was cool and funny at first,
    but it looks like I'm going into a 3rd day with this pain. It's getting
    to be "unfashionable."

    I need to heal so I can get back to that trail . . .

    --
    ChangingLINKS.com - member

    Drew Brown
    'Changing LINKS' (http://www.ChangingLINKS.com)
    ChangingLINKS.com's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5468

  2. Catboy

    Catboy Guest

    Do it again and again, and eventually your body will get stronger and
    get used to it, and you will lessen soreness.

    Or quit bieng a sissy.

    --
    Catboy - I enjoy the taste of dirt!!!

    'I have the amazing power to talk to cats! =^.^='
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Catboy)

    'UPD T-Shirts FOR SALE SOON!!! (Click Me)'
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/album661)

  3. Catboy

    Catboy Guest

    Do it again and again, and eventually your body will get stronger and
    get used to it, and you will lessen soreness.

    Or quit bieng a sissy.

    --
    Catboy - I enjoy the taste of dirt!!!

    'I have the amazing power to talk to cats! =^.^='
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Catboy)

    'UPD T-Shirts FOR SALE SOON!!! (Click Me)'
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/album661)

  4. Well, I just got back from the doctor . . .

    (how? you may ask? I went to Walgreens and there was a guy there at
    230am??!!)

    . . and he said take electrolytes, drink fluids, rest.
    He said that I tore muscle, built up lactic acid and need to let that
    flush out of the muscle.
    He dismissed the idea of using arnica, balm, and other stuff I threw
    out. I even guessed that excercise may help.
    I trust his answer because I've tried everything short of (and
    including) masochism to fix this.

    I guess I should be asking for drug recommendations at this point.
    I need something to reduce the sharp pain so that my knee doesn't lock
    backwards when I hobble.

    I'm willing to try other stuff also.
    Hopefully, the new day will meet me with some suggestions.

    --
    ChangingLINKS.com - member

    Drew Brown
    'Changing LINKS' (http://www.ChangingLINKS.com)
    ChangingLINKS.com's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5468

  5. Well, I just got back from the doctor . . .

[...]

  6. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    I've been reading the 'Cycling Performance Tips'
    (http://www.cptips.com/) web site lately. There's a page there about
    'Exercise Induced Muscle Pain, Soreness, and Cramps'
    (http://www.cptips.com/muspain.htm). It offers a basic description
    about what's going on and offers a few tips.

    For soreness after the ride (delayed onset muscle soreness), which is
    probably what you've got, the solution is to ramp up activity gradually
    so your muscles get used to the demands. Gradually increase your riding
    on that trail till you can survive the day after without soreness.
    Easier said than done. I get sore the day after when I go on bigger
    muni rides than I'm used to. Unless you train and ride constantly all
    the time you're going to get sore after long hard rides.

    Signing up for a professional unicycling team that has it's own massage
    expert would also be a good way to get the muscles rubbed down after a
    big ride. :)

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
    Gallery: '' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs)
    ' Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
    'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3) >>>'Click Me'
    (http://tinyurl.com/7lvbu)<<<

  7. john_childs

[...]

  8. onebyone

    onebyone Guest

    Soreness is a build up of lactic acid and can occur to a point where it
    almost poisens the system.

    Some recovery methods are bi carb soda in small amounts (the racehorse
    industry is famous for it) andd is usually the main constituent in
    recovery drinks or some recovery amino acids available from health
    stores and gyms (they work). Some people are just not into supplements.
    Its up to the individual.

    Total rest is best if you have the time.

    Good luck!

    --
    onebyone

    Bill Blogs is an alian!
    www.municycle.com.au
    onebyone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10014

  9. onebyone

    onebyone Guest

    Soreness is a build up of lactic acid and can occur to a point where it
    almost poisens the system.

    Some recovery methods are bi carb soda in small amounts (the racehorse
    industry is famous for it) andd is usually the main constituent in
    recovery drinks or some recovery amino acids available from health
    stores and gyms (they work). Some people are just not into supplements.
    Its up to the individual.

    Total rest is best if you have the time.

    Good luck!

    --
    onebyone

    Bill Blogs is an alian!
    www.municycle.com.au
    onebyone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10014

  10. onebyone

    onebyone Guest

  11. onebyone

    onebyone Guest

  12. Unitik908

    Unitik908 Guest

    may i asked what beating your leg with a hammer would do?

    Chase

    --
    Unitik908 - The Lone Clothespin....

    All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...
    R.I.P Unibiker
    R.I.P Gazzaloddi
    R.I.P Paul Hester
    R.I.P James Doohan
    R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
    R.I.P Pope John Paul II
    R.I.P James_Potters_Cat
    YAMS

  13. Unitik908

    Unitik908 Guest

    may i asked what beating your leg with a hammer would do?

    Chase

    --
    Unitik908 - The Lone Clothespin....

    All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...
    R.I.P Unibiker
    R.I.P Gazzaloddi
    R.I.P Paul Hester
    R.I.P James Doohan
    R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
    R.I.P Pope John Paul II
    R.I.P James_Potters_Cat
    YAMS

  14. U-Turn

    U-Turn Guest

    Yeah, I'd recommend stop beating on your leg with a hammer as the most
    effective, most realistic, and least expensive solution.

    --
    U-Turn - Cool water for the flame

    'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
    -- Dave Stockton

  15. U-Turn

    U-Turn Guest

    Yeah, I'd recommend stop beating on your leg with a hammer as the most
    effective, most realistic, and least expensive solution.

    --
    U-Turn - Cool water for the flame

    'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
    -- Dave Stockton

  16. S_Wallis

    S_Wallis Guest

    U-Turn wrote:
    > *Yeah, I'd recommend stop beating on your leg with a hammer as the
    > most effective, most realistic, and least expensive solution. *

    Leave him alone. I'm sure his head appreciates the break.

    Drew, that is exactly the shape I was in the week before I attempted to
    do the King of Jester hillclimb. You didn't get it when I tried to
    explain that to you. Maybe now you can relate.
    It took me 3 weeks to really get over it. It was much worse than even 3
    days of CMW, which was painful enough.

    --
    S_Wallis - MUni-motivated, Distance-curious

    "I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn
    how to do it." Pablo Picasso
    S_Wallis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1520

  17. S_Wallis

    S_Wallis Guest

    U-Turn wrote:
    > *Yeah, I'd recommend stop beating on your leg with a hammer as the
    > most effective, most realistic, and least expensive solution. *

    Leave him alone. I'm sure his head appreciates the break.

    Drew, that is exactly the shape I was in the week before I attempted to
    do the King of Jester hillclimb. You didn't get it when I tried to
    explain that to you. Maybe now you can relate.
    It took me 3 weeks to really get over it. It was much worse than even 3
    days of CMW, which was painful enough.

    --
    S_Wallis - MUni-motivated, Distance-curious

    "I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn
    how to do it." Pablo Picasso
    S_Wallis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1520

  18. vanman2004

    vanman2004 Guest

    S_Wallis wrote:
    > *Drew, that is exactly the shape I was in the week before I attempted
    > to do the King of Jester hillclimb. *

    You did King of Jester on a Uni? Hardcore!!

    How'd you do?

    --
    vanman2004 - ...
    vanman2004's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9184

  19. S_Wallis

    S_Wallis Guest

    vanman2004 wrote:
    > *You did King of Jester on a Uni? Hardcore!!
    >
    > How'd you do? *

    Lousy, because my legs locked up from the aforementioned quad injuries.
    Eric (onefiftyfour) cruised up it like a champ. It helps a little that
    he lives at the top of it.

    Scott

    --
    S_Wallis - MUni-motivated, Distance-curious

    "I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn
    how to do it." Pablo Picasso
    S_Wallis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1520

  20. S_Wallis

    S_Wallis Guest