leg soreness cure?

vanman2004 wrote:
> *You did King of Jester on a Uni? Hardcore!!
>
> How'd you do? *

Lousy, because my legs locked up from the aforementioned quad injuries.
Eric (onefiftyfour) cruised up it like a champ. It helps a little that
he lives at the top of it.

Scott

--
S_Wallis - MUni-motivated, Distance-curious

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn
how to do it." Pablo Picasso
S_Wallis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1520

drew, my legs still hurt today too. i've been hobbling around the
house. it hurts more when walking downhill or down steps, or when i
squat down to pet the dog.

here's something i heard alot in the army...

--
onefiftyfour - Eric
onefiftyfour's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3495

drew, my legs still hurt today too. i've been hobbling around the
house. it hurts more when walking downhill or down steps, or when i
squat down to pet the dog.

here's something i heard alot in the army...
> pain is just weakness leaving the body

--
onefiftyfour - Eric
onefiftyfour's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3495

drew, my legs still hurt today too. i've been hobbling around the
house. it hurts more when walking downhill or down steps, or when i
squat down to pet the dog.

here's something i heard alot in the army...
> pain is just weakness leaving the body

--
onefiftyfour - Eric
onefiftyfour's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3495

drew, my legs still hurt today too. i've been hobbling around the
house. it hurts more when walking downhill or down steps, or when i
squat down to pet the dog.

here's something i heard alot in the army...
> pain is just weakness leaving the body

--
onefiftyfour - Eric
onefiftyfour's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3495

Second only to technique and experience, hard Muni, IME, is all about
fitness. And man, does it go fast. Muni fitness is also different than
street and touring fitness. For instance, over the last 6 weeks it's
been too hot to do much Muniing, so I've been practicing riding skinnies
and stair gapping and doing street stuff on my Muni. I returned back to
Santa Barbara on Sunday and just didn't have the fitness to ride the
same stuff I could ride before, despite riding 6 days a week for most of
the month. I felt like a hacker. Eyal's been riding up there week in
and week out and he just fowed down the stuff like it was nothing.

So if you're sore, it's almost certainly a reflection of your fitness.
The soreness will also go away, barring injury. Next time out, don't go
so hard and slowly ramp up the intensity and most of all stay consistant
till you can go every day and just get stronger. Meanwhile drink a ton
of fluids (I like Cytomax) and stretch.

JL

--
vivalargo - Santa Barbara Unicycle Club
vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

[...]

by the way,

the trails we rode on several days ago are adjacent to jester blvd.

drew and i rode from my house, down jester blvd and the trail head is on
the left just before the bottom of the hill. we did an exploratory loop
and had to ride back up the road to my house. there are more trails in
there than we had the energy to explore.

funny how i've lived here so long and never explored them until now.
looking forward to riding them again.

--
[...]

S_Wallis wrote:*Drew, that is exactly the shape I was
> in the week before I attempted to do the King of Jester hillclimb.
> You didn't get it when I tried to explain that to you. *

I still don't get it.
See, people held you out to be a climbing God, but on the times I ridden
with you, you've only climbed about as good as other riders.
Clearly Eric is the best *local* climber. There is a possibility that it
is AJ, but often times he simply won't (ride/compete/climb) so I can't
tell for sure.
I heard stories of you climbing the cement inclines that are around
bridges for breakfast.
So with all of that hype, you can understand why I'm still wanting to
"see how it's done."
WIth you in mind, I actually started practicing on a extremely steep
grass incline.
I think that climbing and gapping are the two most valuable skills for
off-road (because everything else gets better automatically).

--
ChangingLINKS.com - member

Drew Brown
'Changing LINKS' (http://www.ChangingLINKS.com)
ChangingLINKS.com's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5468

Unitik908 wrote:
> *may i asked what beating your leg with a hammer would do?
> Chase *

The hammer theory:
When I was in highschool, I was on the rowing team.
(6 man! Leader of the engine room! Rock!)
If you haven't tried it, rowing is intense. Moreso that even M-uni. It's
a lot like climbing Jester Hill "all out." Races are short (8-15
minutes) and participants expend all of their energy in that time.

Anyway, I had a theory:
If massages and stretching helps heal stressed muscles,
then, stressing muscles helps heal bruised muscles.

For rowing, that theory worked very well. I would stretch a lot before
the race, more than anyone else. Next, I would take a metal-working
hammer and lightly bruise my thighs, parts of my back, arms (and hit the
rest of my body).

A good way to get the mindset is to count (10-12 strikes). I would also
try to act very tired (relaxed) before the race. (It was said that these
behaviours were somewhat intimidating to the competitors - kinda like
the oil-drinking in "Over the Top").

With bruised muscles, I would begin the race. 8 minutes would go by.
During the race, we'd all give it our best and out of 6-8 boats, we'd
usually win.

Immediately after the race, some people would throw up (or at least look
like it). Most would slump in the boat. Some would be visibly crying.
I'm not just talking about our boat, but others. I would feel "down" for
about a minute or two. Sometimes I would take steroids immediately after
the race to calm my breathing. (I'd use an asthma inhaler because I have
asthma).

Quickly, I would feel "normal." Not just "normal," but "better." The
bruising was gone, and there was no cramping or stressed feeling. I
would have "more" energy than before the race. I'd be full of glee and
able to celebrate the win, while others seemed too tired to put the boat
away.

When I didn't hammer, I did not get the same results.
(In April, I competed in a dance competition, and could not shake off
the deep nervousness and "heavy" feeling until I "got violent," punched
myself a bit and jumped around.)

Perhaps this is why deep muscle massage seems to go with boxing, martial
arts, cycling and other sports.
Perhaps, I just need the mental "kickstart."

I don't know why it works for me, just that it works.
Now that I've had this problem, I will probably use the same technique
when I go out to this trail again.