leg strapped lights

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides' started by Beach Runner, Sep 15, 2005.

  1. Beach Runner

    Beach Runner Guest

    YEARS back I had lights that strapped onto my theighs. They weren't
    very bright but they were very visible.

    Does anyone make them?

    Tags:

  2. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    "Beach Runner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > YEARS back I had lights that strapped onto my theighs. They weren't very
    > bright but they were very visible.
    >
    > Does anyone make them?

    I used to have one of these, but I haven't seen them in years.

    I did some Googling and found a reference here:
    http://www.bhsi.org/lights.htm
    "For tail lights I started with two leg lights, showing red to the rear and
    white to the front. Those have the advantage of going up and down,
    attracting attention and identifying the bike."
    But this seems to be a guy who's rigged up a car headlight, and uses one of
    those big orange barricade flashers in the rear. For all I know, maybe this
    means he's surgically implanted lights into his legs.

    This site says: "The days of the French Wonder Light leg lights are gone."
    http://www.crw.org/CheapLights.htm
    and maybe they are. Certainly I no longer see the Wonder headlights
    anywhere, unless my old ones are hiding somewhere in the basement. The
    Wonder headlights had those odd-sized batteries you could only buy at bike
    shops (in the U.S.). Another bad idea gone by the wayside. The Wonder leg
    lights at least used standard batteries.

    There's also this nostalgic comment at http://www.uscoles.com/bike1980.htm
    "our standard lighting in these days [1980] was a leg light, a single-bulbed
    light powered by two C cells which you strapped on your lower left leg. The
    bulb had a yellow lens in front and a red one behind and it didn't light up
    shit, but it did wave around a lot as you pedalled and presumably made you
    more visible. They were always getting knocked "on", so our standard
    practice was to remove the top, reverse one battery, and put the top back
    on."

    Here's one on Ebay. Bidding starts at 99 cents plus $5 shipping, and there
    are no bids -- which tells you something right there. Auction ends in 3
    days.
    <<http://cgi.ebay.com/Bicycle-Arm-Leg-Light-Vintage-NOS-Lamp_W0QQitemZ7182527580QQcategoryZ42319QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>>

  3. mark

    mark Guest

    I remember the Wonder lights only too well. The weight of 2 alkaline "C"
    cells would compress the contact spring at the bottom of the light, so that
    the + terminal of the battery wouldn't quite reach the upper contact. After
    I learned to shim up the contact spring I was all right until some other
    part of that cheap piece of crap decided to give up on me.

    A long, long time ago I got a fix-it ticket from an Oakland, CA motorcycle
    cop because my Wonder light was attached to me instead of my bike. He also
    cited me for rolling a stop sign (right turn, deserted residential
    neighborhood). I'm not sure if they cut off his credit at the doughnut shop
    that night, or if I just looked like an easier target than the typical North
    Oakland resident of those days. Got a few points on my driver's license for
    that one, which I didn't bother fighting because I didn't own a car at the
    time.
    --
    mark

  4. Beach Runner

    Beach Runner Guest

    I missed the auction.

    Mike Kruger wrote:
    > "Beach Runner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>YEARS back I had lights that strapped onto my theighs. They weren't very
    >>bright but they were very visible.
    >>
    >>Does anyone make them?

    > I used to have one of these, but I haven't seen them in years.
    >
    > I did some Googling and found a reference here:
    > http://www.bhsi.org/lights.htm
    > "For tail lights I started with two leg lights, showing red to the rear and
    > white to the front. Those have the advantage of going up and down,
    > attracting attention and identifying the bike."
    > But this seems to be a guy who's rigged up a car headlight, and uses one of
    > those big orange barricade flashers in the rear. For all I know, maybe this
    > means he's surgically implanted lights into his legs.
    >
    > This site says: "The days of the French Wonder Light leg lights are gone."
    > http://www.crw.org/CheapLights.htm
    > and maybe they are. Certainly I no longer see the Wonder headlights
    > anywhere, unless my old ones are hiding somewhere in the basement. The
    > Wonder headlights had those odd-sized batteries you could only buy at bike
    > shops (in the U.S.). Another bad idea gone by the wayside. The Wonder leg
    > lights at least used standard batteries.
    >
    > There's also this nostalgic comment at http://www.uscoles.com/bike1980.htm
    > "our standard lighting in these days [1980] was a leg light, a single-bulbed
    > light powered by two C cells which you strapped on your lower left leg. The
    > bulb had a yellow lens in front and a red one behind and it didn't light up
    > shit, but it did wave around a lot as you pedalled and presumably made you
    > more visible. They were always getting knocked "on", so our standard
    > practice was to remove the top, reverse one battery, and put the top back
    > on."
    >
    > Here's one on Ebay. Bidding starts at 99 cents plus $5 shipping, and there
    > are no bids -- which tells you something right there. Auction ends in 3
    > days.
    > <<http://cgi.ebay.com/Bicycle-Arm-Leg-Light-Vintage-NOS-Lamp_W0QQitemZ7182527580QQcategoryZ42319QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>>

  5. Couldn't you just attach a couple of very small LED lights to your leg?

    ============
    "Beach Runner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:TFm[email protected]
    > YEARS back I had lights that strapped onto my theighs. They weren't very
    > bright but they were very visible.
    >
    > Does anyone make them?

  6. Ted

    Ted Guest

    I use reflective ankle straps on my ankles. They just wrap around your
    ankle and use velcro to stay attached. I can then use a standard
    flashing LED light with a belt clip to attach to the ankle strap.

  7. C

    C Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Thomas Wentworth <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Couldn't you just attach a couple of very small LED lights to your leg?

    Pet stores sell LED pet collars that will probably work as leg lights.

  8. Pat

    Pat Guest

    "Ted" : I use reflective ankle straps on my ankles. They just wrap around
    your
    : ankle and use velcro to stay attached. I can then use a standard
    : flashing LED light with a belt clip to attach to the ankle strap.

    So, which way do you point them?
    :