leg strength inequality

bulaboy

Jan 5, 2006
I've read some threads re: weight training and cycling and have been convinced that it doesn't help performance on the bike except for short duration efforts. However if one leg is significantly stronger than the other, how important is it to build the strength in the weaker leg? Let me also say that the strength imbalance doesn't "seem" to affect my riding ability in a negative way although I can't say for sure since this is such a long standing condition. Thanks in advance for the help.

I have the same issue. Right leg is stronger than the left. You can even see better muscle definiton on the right. I go to the gym to try and fix the problem. Here is a test. Pedal one legged. Make sure your cadence is the same for both legs and that you go over the same ground. Use your power meter or computer to tell the difference.

As an aside the alternative to the gym is PowerCranks.

http://www.powercranks.com/

bulaboy said:
However if one leg is significantly stronger than the other, how important is it to build the strength in the weaker leg? Let me also say that the strength imbalance doesn't "seem" to affect my riding ability in a negative way although I can't say for sure since this is such a long standing condition.
When you do longer rides or higher intensity periods like climbs, does the weaker leg 'give out' first or in some way limit your riding? If not then I wouldn't see any reason to worry about it.