Leg weights good for training?

On Mar 13, 5:30 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> The kind you wear around for a few hours or all day? Or maybe when you
> cycle?

Probably just weigh you down a bit, try spinning quicker or cycling
further instead.

Regards,

Duncan

On 13 Mar, 08:32, Duncan Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 13, 5:30 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > The kind you wear around for a few hours or all day? Or maybe when you
> > cycle?

> Probably just weigh you down a bit, try spinning quicker or cycling
> further instead.
>
> Regards,
>
> Duncan

When cycling the weight on one leg going up would be counterbalanced
via the pedals by the weight on the other going down. The effect
would just be like having a slightly heavier bike (or body).

On 13 Mar, 10:18, POHB <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 13 Mar, 08:32, Duncan Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Mar 13, 5:30 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > The kind you wear around for a few hours or all day? Or maybe when you
> > > cycle?

> > Probably just weigh you down a bit, try spinning quicker or cycling
> > further instead.

> > Regards,

> > Duncan

> When cycling the weight on one leg going up would be counterbalanced
> via the pedals by the weight on the other going down.  The effect
> would just be like having a slightly heavier bike (or body).

Hmm, not sure. I've tried this (assuming you mean the ankle cuff sort
of weights). I don't use clips or cleats, typically, so I'm not
applying power on the upstroke. With the weights on, the upstroke is
significantly more tiring than without (as you're lifting extra
weight); the downstroke is slightly easier. The effect is to shift
some of the effort from the hamstrings and gluteals to the quadriceps.

The other effect is to get in the way of your cranks/gears, and
generally drive you up the wall. It's like wearing baggy trousers
without clips.

On Mar 13, 12:30 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> The kind you wear around for a few hours or all day? Or maybe when you
> cycle?

Won't really help when cycling, as POHB said, the weights would cancel
each other out. Plus ankle weights won't work your quads. A weighted
belt or one of those weighted vests would help more.

In article <3333e62f-50ba-48d9-a084-0698223ec6f5@
13g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>, Henry Lockwood
[email protected] says...

> Hmm, not sure. I've tried this (assuming you mean the ankle cuff sort
> of weights). I don't use clips or cleats, typically, so I'm not
> applying power on the upstroke.

That implies that all the force you apply to the pedals is purely
vertical, which it isn't (unless you have slippery shoes/pedals).
When the cranks are vertical you're pushing forward on the top one and
back on the bottom one, when they go past horizontal you're pushing back
on the front one and forwards on the rear one (or should be, otherwise
you're pedalling squares when you should be pedalling circles).
Anyway there's not much point doing strength training if you're not
using all the available muscles in the first place.

In article <b530ff6f-8fcd-4e6c-8742-35350e678d89
@i7g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, [email protected]
[email protected] says...
> The kind you wear around for a few hours or all day? Or maybe when you
> cycle?

Might have some effect if you do a lot of stairs, expecially if you wear
a weight belt too, although you won't be working the muscles quite the
same as on your bike. Two stairs at a time is good, as it works your
quads through a range of movement that's more like the pedalling action.
On the bike, no point at all. Get some slower tyres, then when you put
the fast ones back on you'll fly. :)

On Mar 13, 8:26 pm, Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:
 Get some slower tyres, then when you put
> the fast ones back on you'll fly.  :)

yep, or maybe add some weight to the bike. I recall reading an article
yonks ago in one of the cycling magazines suggesting filling old water
bottles with concrete for training rides. Anyone tried it?

--
Nige Danton
Another hot day in Saigon

Nige Danton wrote:
> yep, or maybe add some weight to the bike. I recall reading an article
> yonks ago in one of the cycling magazines suggesting filling old water
> bottles with concrete for training rides. Anyone tried it?

An alternative would be to fill them with water - it only weighs about
half as much, but has the advantage that in an emergency you can drink it.

Seriously, there are all kinds of places on the average bike you could
hang weights on, but bottle mounts are usually in fairly short supply.

-dan

In article <660de8ea-eb88-43a0-94b0-2e8fcfe5b279
@d21g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, Nige Danton
[email protected] says...
> On Mar 13, 8:26 pm, Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:
>  Get some slower tyres, then when you put
> > the fast ones back on you'll fly.  :)

> yep, or maybe add some weight to the bike.

That only affects acceleration and climbing, slow wheels drag all the
time.

> I recall reading an article
> yonks ago in one of the cycling magazines suggesting filling old water
> bottles with concrete for training rides. Anyone tried it?

How very silly. Not only would you be left without anything to drink,
but I'm sure wet sand would be pretty much as effective as concrete.

On Mar 14, 10:28 pm, Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:

> How very silly.  Not only would you be left without anything to drink,
> but I'm sure wet sand would be pretty much as effective as concrete.

Im not suggesting I think it's a good idea at all. Just curious if
anyone has ever tried it.

--
Nige Danton