Legacy Fund, doesn't this sound vaguely familiar???

Apr 11, 2005
Let's do the time warp again........

Below you will find the most recent announcement of the CCA-Hamilton Legacy Fundation and below that the same announcement from February 2004. They are almost identical except that 14 months were wasted doing nothing.

Look at the committee and then the members. Hutsebaut resigns but he is still a member???? What's that about? Nothing changed, the committee and members are about the same only Lacelle has been added.

What the hell is going on?

Fourteen months to do nothing and then they announce the thing again.

Have you heard the phrase credibility gap?

Furthermore, the manner in which this legacy fund is being used is a joke.

Linda Jackson say, “We are very pleased to have finalized the Bylaws and be in a position to begin supporting the development of Canada’s next generation of cycling talent”.

Supporting talent? All this Foundation will do is give out an additional $10,000 to $20,000, that's one or two projects more a year. It changes nothing. It is a Band-aid, nothing more.

Read for yourself and try to explain the 14 months delay.

What is it going to take people?
June 23, 2005 (Ottawa) - Linda Jackson, President of the CCA-Hamilton 2003 Road Cycling Foundation and Bill Kinash, President of the Canadian Cycling Association, are pleased to announce the set-up of the Road Cycling Foundation. The Foundation, headquartered at the CCA’s office in Ottawa, is a result of the $1.2 million legacy generated by the 2003 Road World Championships, held in Hamilton October 9-13, 2003. The Foundation is established with approximately $640,000.

The Board has undergone some changes from the original set-up and now consists of the following individuals:
Linda Jackson, President - Previous National team member
Brian Jolly, Vice President -Former CCA President and Member of the UCI Road
Commission
Ross Chafe, Secretary-Treasurer - Previous National team member
Steve Lacelle, Ex officio Director - CCA Chief Operating Officer

The Foundation board accepted Pierre Hutsebaut’s resignation as Director and Secretary Treasurer in February of 2005. Ross Chafe was elected to replace Pierre; and Steve Lacelle, the CCA Chief Operating Officer, was added as an Ex Officio director. The Foundation has two additional members: Pierre Hutsebaut and Steve Bauer, previous national team member and recent Hall of Fame inductee.

“We are very pleased to have finalized the Bylaws and be in a position to begin supporting the development of Canada’s next generation of cycling talent”, stated Linda Jackson. “We have a strong team of individuals with substantial business and sport knowledge whose goals are to fund appropriate CCA initiatives to ensure the support of Canada’s developing road cyclists for
years to come”.

“Now that we've completed the set-up of the Foundation I am satisfied that
the extra effort will pay dividends as we leverage both the outstanding cycling experience and business/marketing skills of all of the Foundation members”, added Bill Kinash.

The primary objective of the Foundation is to support the CCA’s programs regarding long term development of young road racing cyclists. Projects submitted to the Foundation for consideration must come through the CCA Chief Operating Officer. The Foundation will study the projects and make decisions on funding before the end of December of each year.

For more information on the Foundation, contact Steve Lacelle at the Canadian Cycling Association, 613-248-1353 #2601.

And from February 2004:

February 27/04 11:30 pm EST - Hamilton Legacy Announced Posted by Editor February 27, 2004 11:23:25 PM Worlds Legacy Report

Today the Hamilton Road Worlds organization performed one of their last duties, when they held a press conference announcing the legacy and economic impact of the Road Worlds last fall. Briefly, the legacy from the Road Worlds will be over $500,000 each to the CCA and the Hamilton National Cycling Centre. The economic impact has been calculated at $48.3 million.

The legacy has been used to set up two legacy funds, one to the CCA for the national team program, and one for the Hamilton NCC. Taking them each in turn:

CCA

The Foundation has been incorporated with a Board of five members:

Pierre Hutsebaut (CCA Director-General)
Brian Jolly (past CCA President and UCI Technical Delegate)
Steve Bauer
Linda Jackson
Ross Chafe

The CCA foundation will be able to access both interest and capital and, according to Hutsebaut, the objective is "to develop young road athletes. We will have programs in Canada, a European base, a talent identification program and, hopefully, scholarships. The Board will receive proposals and will make decisions, based on the mandate to manage funds according to the CCA Board."

"This is the first time in Canadian cycling history that we have this opportunity. It is what we dreamed about when we began the process (of hosting the Worlds), and it represents the whole rational - to leave something behind for cycling in Canada."

Hutsebaut said that the first meeting of the foundation Board should take place in the next month (March 2004!!! there's that credibility gap...), when they begin to set up operational guidelines.

Notice how Van de Wille stays clear of commenting on stories that make his buddies at the CCA look bad?

Here is a news stories that deals with the by-laws 14 months after the Foundation was originally supposed to be up and running.

If you search on the Pedal Forum (since I can't) you will find comments from Van de Wille about how he doesn't care about the by-laws and they are not important but this news release tells us that it is important that they are now doen.

14 months, the same people in almost the same places and nothing has been accomplished.

Since nobody wants to prove me right, I'll do it myself. Here are Van de Wille's own words on the by-laws and how they are unimportant, how we do not need them to find out what's going on. How it is all boilerplate and therefore should be done in no time....

So, Paddy tell us what went on? What is the latest press release about? Bylaws. Why did it take 14 months for boilerplate stuff? What else did they do. If it is unimportant why make it the topic of the CCA press release?

Nothing went on.

Remember Kinash told us back in October 2004 , the November 2004 and then December 2004 that the by-laws woud be ready "shortly"

Now, June 23, 2005 they are finally ready, or so they say. The annual report promised from the Foundation for Decembr 2004 was never made public if it was ever written.

Here is what Van de Wille had to say:

Patty the Lapsed Canuck

[url="http://forum.pedalmag.com/templates/subSilver/images/icon_minipost.gif"]http://forum.pedalmag.com/templates/subSilver/images/icon_minipost.gif[/url]Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:15 am Post subject: [url="http://forum.pedalmag.com/templates/subSilver/images/lang_english/icon_quote.gif"]http://forum.pedalmag.com/templates/subSilver/images/lang_english/icon_quote.gif[/url] So you don't trust me: forgive me for not giving a sh*t. I was critical of the CCA on occasion back then. I still am. But where an article every couple of months that's critical might be seen as being constructive, a daily onslaught of **** and unanswerable questions is not. When it comes to open criticism, some is good but more is not necessarily better.

As far as a foundation goeas, Ed, I think you may be the only person who needs the by-laws of an organization to tell you what a foundation does.

-Spongebob Squarepants

Patty the Lapsed Canuck

[url="http://forum.pedalmag.com/templates/subSilver/images/icon_minipost.gif"]http://forum.pedalmag.com/templates/subSilver/images/icon_minipost.gif[/url]Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:47 am Post subject: [url="http://forum.pedalmag.com/templates/subSilver/images/lang_english/icon_quote.gif"]http://forum.pedalmag.com/templates/subSilver/images/lang_english/icon_quote.gif[/url] So lemme get this straight. Ed chases relentlessly after something that's of no value whatsoever, sending pestering e-mails to members of a board asking them for a silly chunk of boilerplate that none of them has ever seen or read. He gets no answer, so begins accusing people of a massive cover-up. I mention as much, so he springs a hard-on and lights into me.

And in the end, it turns out that the by-laws are... wait... just a silly bunch of boilerplate that noone has ever read or cared about!? Wow! Who would have guessed!

Ed, you're like a boxer who takes ten body blows to land a puny jab and thinks he's winning anyway. Like Frank Zappa said: "You coulda made more money as a butcher."

-Spongebob Squarepants

this is too much, it's like the guy that says "if you don't believe me just ask me"

Can you say I'm wroing?

Of course not.

What have they done so far in 14 months???? (It has really been 21 months, since the Foundation was founded long before the Feb. 2004 press release.

They finished on June 23, 2005 writing the by-laws that Kinash said would be ready "shortly" last October.

Hutsebaut was fired as CCA Director General and he resigns from the CCA Foundation but he is still a member?

All they have doen is shuffle the cards, the game is the same.

Frankly, what is amazing is that Steve Bauer would lend his name to this shell game.

Answer a simple question, what has that committee done in 14 months? Where was the annual report Kinash promised last December. It was never made public if it was never written.

There's your transparency. Lacelle is no better than anybody there before him. Same hide and seek with trying to figure out what's going on.

Don't ask the right questions, Jimmy and don't look for answers that way you can keep racing for peanuts, like a monkey

Most of this thread was sent out via email to the sports media, provinces and CCA.

I did add this:

On another note, Kim Sebrango, the CCA's new Director of Marketing Operations is wondering:

What's the Legacy Fund?
Who are Pierre Hutsebaut, Linda Jackson and Brian Jolly (please, please tell me she is NOT wondering who Steve Bauer is...!)
What happened in Hamilton in 2003.
What did CCA President Bill Kinash write in December 2003
There's a national cycling centre at McMaster?
What do they do there? (don't feel about this one, Kim, nobody knows the answer to that.)
Does Canada have a domestic racing scene?
Where are the races?
What's a criterium?
We sanction downhill but we do not support it? (again, Kim, nobody gets this one either)

So many questions, so little time.

Had the CCA hired somebody who knew something of the sport and its history maybe there would not be as many questions.

See you at the next cycling tournament.......

Hey, Kim, you know we have red flags in cycling, just like soccer, but our red flags are a good thing, they indicate 1 kilometre to go to the finish and they are usually MARKETED to a sponsor. Steve Lacelle can fill you in (or maybe not!). Just one more thing to keep in mind.
-30-

I find it very amusing that Van de Wille is still not commenting on this. He has adopted the full-on Pedal Magzine and Canadian Cyclist mode of journalism, bury one's head in the sand and avoid at all cost pointing out obvious and important failures. Of course, Van de Wille would have to eat more of his words as we see above. He's been doing a lot of that lately.

I am also trying a small experiment.

At this time, 10:48AM Montreal time, June 28, 2005 there were only 213 views of this before I sent out the email. I'll be tracking how many and how fast more views are added once the email begins to circulate.

Mr. Arzouian,

I think the way you revel in having so many views on your craziness is akin to the way the fat, skanky girl who sleeps with every single guy she meets makes her "sexy" and that they each "love me."

Good day Sir.

Eddie Arzouian said:
Most of this thread was sent out via email to the sports media, provinces and CCA.

I did add this:

On another note, Kim Sebrango, the CCA's new Director of Marketing Operations is wondering:

What's the Legacy Fund?
Who are Pierre Hutsebaut, Linda Jackson and Brian Jolly (please, please tell me she is NOT wondering who Steve Bauer is...!)
What happened in Hamilton in 2003.
What did CCA President Bill Kinash write in December 2003
There's a national cycling centre at McMaster?
What do they do there? (don't feel about this one, Kim, nobody knows the answer to that.)
Does Canada have a domestic racing scene?
Where are the races?
What's a criterium?
We sanction downhill but we do not support it? (again, Kim, nobody gets this one either)

So many questions, so little time.

Had the CCA hired somebody who knew something of the sport and its history maybe there would not be as many questions.

See you at the next cycling tournament.......

Hey, Kim, you know we have red flags in cycling, just like soccer, but our red flags are a good thing, they indicate 1 kilometre to go to the finish and they are usually MARKETED to a sponsor. Steve Lacelle can fill you in (or maybe not!). Just one more thing to keep in mind.
-30-

I find it very amusing that Van de Wille is still not commenting on this. He has adopted the full-on Pedal Magzine and Canadian Cyclist mode of journalism, bury one's head in the sand and avoid at all cost pointing out obvious and important failures. Of course, Van de Wille would have to eat more of his words as we see above. He's been doing a lot of that lately.

I am also trying a small experiment.

At this time, 10:48AM Montreal time, June 28, 2005 there were only 213 views of this before I sent out the email. I'll be tracking how many and how fast more views are added once the email begins to circulate.

As I said I would I have been following the progression of views to this post. I must admit it has been a bit disappointing given that this is an important issue dealing with $600,000 of your tax dollars and the development of the sport. It is strange that a joke posted here would get 1216 views but a story meriting serious concern gets only 314. but then American Idol get more viewers than the local news.

I would explain it in this way, it is so obvious this ia a major failure, that nobody involved wants to get anywhere near it. Like Van de Wille who tried to defend this inaction eight months ago, he knows the latest press release is ridiculous. Far better to try to bury it than try defend it.

Anyway, here is how it prgressed through the day

When the email about this went out the count was at:
10:50 213
11:15 229
12:15 258
1:15 270
2:15 298
6:00 302
Midnight 303
Now 314