Legal alternatives

Discussion in 'Doping in Cycling' started by Billsworld, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Billsworld

Billsworld New Member

Are any of the over the counter "bodybuilding" suppliments illegal . Things such as creatine, DHEA, inordinate amounts of arginine,glutamine etc... How bout for nationals, track, age group etc..

Tags:

2. iliveonnitro

iliveonnitro New Member

Few questions: why do you need these supplements, or any for that matter?

Creatine basically fills your muscles with water. Water gain = not muscle gain, especially in the short term - so your cycling will suffer.
    DHEA is illegal last I checked.
    Also, arginine and glutamine dont have any extra benefits over proper training, so I don't think they're illegal.

None of these are really helpful unless you're a sprinter who doesn't care much about body mass...

3. Billsworld

Billsworld New Member

I am a 44 yr old sprinter who doesnt care much about body mass. I am very lean @ 195 lbs.. I also dont like cheaters and dont want to labeled as one. Just not sure of the rules. I guess I am asking about uci rules. I haved used creatine for years (off and on) and it is a great supplement for power and endurance. Glutamine is also very safe and healthy to take . DHEA, not sure about the saftey of it. Thanks BW

4. wiggles

wiggles New Member

Creatine won't help cyclists too much actually, unless they sprint constantly. Creatine phosphate is used by Type II a and b fibres (white fibres), which are both used for long and short anaerobic activity. Unless you plan on doing a lot of sprinting, you're not going to see a vast improvement.

Most cycling only involves these fibres for brief periods of time, and otherwise relies on type I (red) fibres, which specialize for aerobic activity. They use triglycerides.

5. Frigo's Luggage

Frigo's Luggage New Member

What makes you think that cyclists don't care about Type II muscles? Ever done a crit?

6. otherworld

otherworld New Member

Then don’t take supplements if you don’t want to cheat. What’s legality got to do with it? If you are getting it out of a bottle instead of working for it then that’s cheating in my book.

Jay

7. Billsworld

Billsworld New Member

Craetine and vitamins isnt cheating:rolleyes:

8. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

cheater.......cheater......cheater :)

count me in as well

I have a well stocked cabinet, but unfortunately I am now at the age where Saw Palmetto is my number one supplement. :eek: J/K

9. Billsworld

Billsworld New Member

You need to become a trackie. No weights in 4 mos. I got down to 185 or so. Right now 190 and shreaded . No weights.(or 17" arms) You live near a drome. Gooooo and check it out

10. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

There is a track somewhere down in Atlanta.

I live in a mixed up mental state. I love weights and I would make a better sprinter, but I want to become a better climber. Truely I am messed up in the head as the two activities (weights and hill climbing) are in opposition to each other. Or at least it seems that way when I am lugging my carcass up the hill.

I have a 25 year addiction to lifting.
    I know that is blasphemy on this forum :)

11. Billsworld

Billsworld New Member

Missed this post.........I am no expert felty, but you are no climber. There are so many events on the track that you can find something you are suited for and still lift. If you are not a great sprinter you might be a persuiter or kilo rider. All that lifting might go to some use other than extra weight to lug up a hill:) Come over to the dark side

12. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

I can hand out power bars at a booth at the track. (and eat a few while I am at it like a real powerlifter would do)

Conserve calories, eat more calories, more bodyweight equals more leverage equals pushing heavier weight.

Yep....I can volunteer at a booth. :)

13. Billsworld

Billsworld New Member

I will keep trying to sell the idea. I might be heading to Atlanta for a few days on business and also hitting the track. You could focus on the kilo or persuit , still do all your lifting and even make use of all the climbing you like to do. Its just a TT , no other maniacs to knock you off the bike. Its a blast! The Kilo is 1+ minutes of hell, persuit is 5 minutes of hell. Besides it gives you a good reason to go bike shopping..........and your wife can watch you ride..........and you dont get hit by cars...........and when your with trackies you dont look like a baboon on a bike, you fit in with muscles.

14. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

I bought another road bike a couple months ago. I can see my wife's patience starting to slip.

Actually I wouldn't mind giving it a try just to see what would happen.
    thinks to self, "shouldn't have admitted that to Bill" :)

15. helmutRoole2

helmutRoole2 New Member

True that. I think anything above 90 psi in your tires is cheating. And, bicycles over 20lbs is cheating as well. Brakes... cheating. Handlebars... that's cheating. Pedals are okay and a chain isn't cheating either, but chainrings over 50 teeth are cheating. Also, training when the weather is nice... yep, that's cheating. Altitude tents... that's a no brainer. Shaving your legs is cheating.

There's a lot of things people do that's cheating but they think it's just apart of the "sport."

Please.

Cheats abound.

16. Billsworld

Billsworld New Member

Skinsuits? Powermeters? Waterbottle with anything but water in it? Carbon fiber bikes. Crap!! I just banned myself