Legal Definition of Bicycle

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Wes Newport, Apr 28, 2003.

  1. Wes Newport

    Wes Newport Guest

    I would love to see serious road bikes given different a different legal status from toy bicycles
    sold to young children.

    Mike McGinley Hoffman Estates, IL

    Tags:

  2. Carol Cohen

    Carol Cohen Guest

    I would love to read your definition of a serious bike.

    C.C.

    > From: "Wes Newport" <[email protected]> Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.rides Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003
    > 13:29:25 -0500 Subject: Legal Definition of Bicycle
    >
    > I would love to see serious road bikes given different a different legal status from toy bicycles
    > sold to young children.
    >
    > Mike McGinley Hoffman Estates, IL

  3. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    The legal definition of bicycles is by the state. Perhaps we could define a motor-vehicle driven by
    a special class of driver differently from other motor-vehicles. Of course there was the effort by
    the IMBA to have bicycles defined as other than vehicles so they could ride where ever they wanted.
    Divide and conquer.

    "Wes Newport" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I would love to see serious road bikes given different a different legal status from toy bicycles
    > sold to young children.
    >
    > Mike McGinley Hoffman Estates, IL

  4. Cleanbean

    Cleanbean Guest

    Why would you want to do this? We both ride bicycles. One version goes faster then the other. The
    difference is evident by our actions and speed. We don't ride on sidewalks. The general public
    usually acquaints us as "racers" or serious cyclists. The cycling community see us as recreational
    cyclists. Why legislate what we ride? There is lots of funding to be had through programs like "Safe
    Routes to Schools" in which we can keep these toy bike riders safe within bike lanes and sidewalks.
    Funding can be had to reduce speed limits, not because of road bikes but because of our kids toy
    bikes that ride to school. These "Toy Bicycle" riders are our kids and friends to road cycling. "
    The Department of Transportation" offer grants
    (T21) to fund projects around communities. Here in Texas that have funded over $3,000,000 for Safe
    Routes To Schools. From these grants we get better roads, Bike lanes and reduced speed
    limits on cars.

    John Bean Texas Bicycle Coalitioin member- Board of Directors

    "Wes Newport" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I would love to see serious road bikes given different a different legal status from toy bicycles
    > sold to young children.
    >
    > Mike McGinley Hoffman Estates, IL

  5. "Wes Newport" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I would love to see serious road bikes given different a different legal status from toy bicycles
    > sold to young children.

    What legal status is missing for cycling? In most states cyclists enjoy the same rights and
    responsibilities as motor vehicles. The problem isn't the rights afforded by law it's the effective
    rights afforded by a certain contingent of motorists.

  6. A serious bike is a bike which never smiles. A bike ridden by a guy who never smiles. A bike which
    does not understand puns. An AMERUKUN bike. A freedom bike which eats freedom fries and hates those
    froggy cheese-eating quisling tete-de-merdes.