Legal interpretation of riding on footpaths in Victoria

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Alan Erskine, Sep 5, 2003.

  1. troyq <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Deep Flayed Mar wrote:
    > > That reminds me. When a green right-turning arrow is displayed (but a red for through
    > > traffic), is it illegal to go through an intersection from the curb? There is no crossover
    > > between the bikes path and the
    cars
    > > path, but it still seems like a dodgy thing to do.
    > > ---
    > > DFM
    >

    > Assuming that you are facing a red light? then yes it would be...

    It could be deadly too if the straight ahead red light changes to green when you don't expect it.

    > Which also begs an interesting question... picture a t-intersection where you as a cyclist are
    > travelling across the top of the T i.e. there is a footpath to the left of you all the way through
    > the intersection.

    In that situation, I often just continue straight on, depending on how many cars are waiting at the
    intersection and how law abiding I am feeling.

    > On my commute I have often witnessed other cyclists mount the footpath to the left (with a red
    > light at the intersection) and then rejoin the road on the other side of the intersection. Now
    > they must be committing some offence but which one is it? Riding on the footpath or running a
    > red light?

    Both, but you could probably use the good-old 'safety' defence should anyone complain.
    ---
    DFM

  2. "Glen F" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It's interesting that Victoria, too, has departed from the "uniform" national road rules on this
    > one, but in entirely the opposite direction to Qld and ACT (which permit footpath cycling by all).
    > What happened to the dispensation for adults supervising under 12s on a footpath? Why was that
    > deleted?

    It wasn't!

    http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf/randl/part_15.pdf

    Rule 250 sub-rule (2) allows Vicroads to give specific dispensation. As I understand it, and spelled
    out elsewhere one their website, this allows adults supervising kids under 12 to ride on footpaths.
    'National uniformity' survives. :)

    Cheers Peter

  3. Tom N

    Tom N Guest

    Being allowed to ride on footpaths doesn't compel you to ride on them - it allows you a choice.

    Around my sleepy suburb, I tend to ride on the footpath to pass parked cars if there is any traffic
    around. I don't trust the drivers to be able to figure out that two parked cars on either side of
    the road plus bicycle plus Pajero don't fit side by side down a suburban street.

    Having one dork nearly kill me in the situation described above has convinced me I'd rather take the
    risk of knocking down a little old lady riding on the footpath for 20m than risk being splattered
    down the side of a Commodore. It's also bloody hard to see whether the car behind you is going to
    slow down.

    And there's also the risk of being "doored", as Melbournians are hopeless at looking before opening
    car doors, and will even leap out in front of vehicles let alone bikes. They just assume you'll
    avoid them.

    I presume that the bicycle paths around Melbourne must be designated as such somehow to allow you to
    ride on them.

    "Peter Signorini" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > Good point. Doing 60kph down a footpath unable to see the cars that are about to reverse in
    > > front of me isn't my idea of fun. Doing 60kph alongside a car going down the adjacent road - now
    > > that's fun :)
    >
    > Yes, I'm quite happy in that scenario. But even if I'm only doing 35 kmh
    and
    > riding across town for 15 kms on the footpath I would not be happy, what with cars backing out,
    > peds. wandering, and having no right of way at any
    of
    > the 200 cross streets I have to deal with.
    >
    > Footpath riding maybe OK to take the littlies for a ride(1) or visiting
    the
    > local store (but then they don't want you riding at the shops). To cover
    any
    > sort of distance across Melbourne you need to be able to ride safely and skilfully in traffic.
    >
    > Cheers Peter
    >
    > (1) Ever since my kids were able to ride their own bikes we have ridden
    with
    > them on the roads and taught them correct traffic skills. Now at 10 and 12 they are quite
    > competent riders on the road, getting themselves to school and around the local streets. They
    > don't ride footpaths and are happy
    riding