Legendary Jim Muellner completes Salt Lake!!

Cycle America/N

Guest
Here is Mighty Jim as he first enters Salt Lake City, then leaves it for more hot and dry. There is
also news about his reception in Salt Lake City, including the newspaper article that appeared the
day after. All I can say is we are truly watching a Legend in action:

Hi Again:

Today started as a down hill, but that was a trick, it only lasted a couple of miles then a 15 mile
up hill with 7% grade ensued. Then a nice 12 to 15 mile down hill, again a trick because there were
numerous 5 mile up hills all day long. I can hardly believe I made it.

The beauty of the country, despite the heat and hills, continues mile after mile. There are similar
flowers to what I have described earlier.

Chris, Bryon and I wheeled into Park City and enjoyed our second Mexican meal of the day. The guys
assured me that we could find a camp site along the bike trail out of town. Sure enough, they found
a neat spot that even had a heated bathroom, we could not shower, but washing up with hot water was
a real treat.

The temperature when we got up this morning was 42, burrrrrr. But, they wanted to be sure to get me
over the last mountain range, along the Morman trail, the last one appropriately called Little
Mountain, named by the Mormans. The last 12 miles down immigration cannon was wonderful and sad. It
is always wonderful to make good friends with fellow riders during this brief week, and then you are
on to the next challenge.

Bryon and Chris have been wonderful to me, waiting for me in the sun at the worst no shade area's
you can imagine, and they never complained when I was late. Rather they would ask how I felt, if I
was okay. It gave me a very warm feeling toward my new friends.

This morning however I asked them to promise me that when they were 67 they would do a ride like
this from Steamboat to Salt Lake City (400 miles of scorching temperatures and incessant climbing,
ed) in 5 days. They asked, "Isn't being impressed with your performance enough?"

Thanking them, I told them that I wanted to challenge them to keep up their biking skills throughout
their lives.

I am looking forward to the presentation.

His report about what took place in Salt Lake City will appear at the reception page that I will
soon be announcing but here is the newspaper article that Chris Butson's girlfriend, Diane Urbani,
wrote in the "Deseret News" (no that is not a misspelling):
http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,510037169,00.html

And here is what Lisa Romney had to say about her Mayor and National Bicycle Greenway Day in Salt
Lake City:

We had a happy reception at the Oasis Cafe here in Salt Lake City for three cyclists biking the heat
as a part of the National Bicycle Greenway National Mayors' Ride. I particularly enjoyed meeting Jim
Muellner whose travels I have been reading about since last May and Chris Butson and Bryon Wright,
bikers from our city, who answered our call for riders to join Jim for his ride in from Steamboat
Springs, CO.

A reporter and photographer from the Desert News showed up to cover the event as our Mayor Ross
Anderson read the National Bicycle Greenway Day proclamation and talked with the riders about their
journey as well as what is being done here in Salt Lake City to make it easier to ride a bike.
Despite the fact that we as city government employees are pulled in a million different directions,
both the Mayor and myself were glad we were able to make time for this worthy event and the genuine
people that are a part of it!

Lisa Romeny Salt Lake City Environmental Affairs Coordinator

And here is more from one truly Mighty Man as he keeps powering thru the heat:

Hi Eveyone and Happy 4th of July:

Even though I have plenty of time for this next section, I decided to get on with it on a quiet
weekend. I thought drivers would be friendlier on this weekend. In Salt Lake City, there was lots of
construction and parades and therefore less traffic as the smart drivers took other routes.

Rode past a sign that said "Jumpers". On a horse barn, it was the first one I have ever seen.

Riding past Lake Utah there were several large flocks of white Pelicans. Some time back I had seen
three of them soaring in the sky, playing in the air currents. The Blue Angels had nothing on these
guys as they circled right and then left. It was beautiful to watch. Sometimes one would fall behind
and with a flap or two they would be back in formation. They also have black wing tips which gives
them a crisp look. I loved it. The local contractor must have too, he called it Pelican Point.

There are few flowers except for the small sun flowers that show up periodically along the road.

One thing is certain, there are no trees, as in **NO TREES**. Glad I have my umbrella, even if it is
a little broken. May have to shop for a new one, like the golfers have.

After stopping in for lunch with my good friends Vic and Shirley Williams from my former life in
Smarte Carte, I continued on. Later after camping in an abandoned house, I determined that some
night riding would make things cooler. This despite the fact that I got a great night's sleep. You
see no one knocked on the door or rang the bell

Have a great weekend.

btw: My messages may be limited for next few days as there are few places to call or send from. Park
service does not seem to think anyone needs a table or covered area out here. Last place I want to
sit and write, even though it is comfortable, is on my trike after hours of riding.

btw2: I am trying my best to respond to each message I receive. And I do want to keep any promises I
made about getting together after the ride is over. However, in the process I may have lost your
e-mail address or phone number. If you think I have forgotten something just send me a note
reminding me. There are so many things going on that it is impossible to keep everything straight.
Please forgive me.

67 year old, trike riding Jim Muellner can be found at
http://www.bikeroute.com/NationalMayorsRide/JimMuellner His email on the road is:
[email protected]

You can meet Bryon at: http://www.nationalbicyclegreenway.com/Events/Mayors_Ride/bios/bryon_wri
ght.php While Chris can be found at:
http://www.nationalbicyclegreenway.com/Events/Mayors_Ride/bios/christoph er_butson.php Their email
on the road is: [email protected]

If you want to start from the beginning and/or follow Jim our other NBG relay riders as they move
forward in the National Mayors' Ride at
<http://NationalBicycleGreenway.com/Events/Mayors_Ride/schedule.php>, point to their blog at
<http://www.nationalbicyclegreenway.com/Events/Mayors_Ride/reports.php>. All of this excitement will
al be consummated at the second annual Santa Cruz NBG Bike Fest  on Sunday August 17 c/:eek:
<http://www.nationalbicyclegreenway.com/Events/Festival>:

btw: If you want to become a rider, we WANT you!! Go to
<http://NationalBicycleGreenway.com/Events/Mayors_Ride/getstarted.php>, to find out how!! btw2: We
have pictures from the various ride legs on line at
http://www.nationalbicyclegreenway.com/gallery/2003Mayors btw3: If you want to see who these
cyclists are, go to <http://www.nationalbicyclegreenway.com/Events/Mayors_Ride/bios>.

--
MARTIN KRIEG: "Awake Again" Author c/o BikeRoute.com 79 & 86 TransAms, nonprofit Nat. Bicycle
Greenway CEO

Ever wanted anything so bad U were willing to die for it? Really die? By moving thru clinical death
and reversing paralysis, *I saw God* when I answered that question.

Cycle America/Nat. Bicycle Greenway wrote:
> The temperature when we got up this morning was 42, burrrrrr. But, they wanted to be sure to get
> me over the last mountain range, along the Morman trail, the last one appropriately called Little
> Mountain, named by the Mormans. The last 12 miles down immigration cannon was wonderful and sad.
> It is always wonderful to make good friends with fellow riders during this brief week, and then
> you are on to the next challenge.

Emmigration is probably the most popular canyon road round these parts. Gentle grade, savvy local
drivers. The road surface could be improved though.

> Riding past Lake Utah there were several large flocks of white Pelicans. Some time back I had seen
> three of them soaring in the sky, playing in the air currents. The Blue Angels had nothing on
> these guys as they circled right and then left. It was beautiful to watch. Sometimes one would
> fall behind and with a flap or two they would be back in formation. They also have black wing tips
> which gives them a crisp look. I loved it. The local contractor must have too, he called it
> Pelican Point.
>
> There are few flowers except for the small sun flowers that show up periodically along the road.
>
> One thing is certain, there are no trees, as in **NO TREES**. Glad I have my umbrella, even if it
> is a little broken. May have to shop for a new one, like the golfers have.

He means "Utah Lake." No mention of smells. Utah Lake is fairly stagnant. And there ARE trees, he's
just not up high enough. :)

Isn't it a great wonder that Jim Muellner could be such a legend and that I've never heard of him.
It smacks of jazz festivals where every single player is billed as ...legendary!! Or maybe the
legendary refers to the end of his leg??

Who is Jim Muellner??

"Gearóid Ó Laoi/Garry Lee" wrote:

> Isn't it a great wonder that Jim Muellner could be such a legend and that I've never heard of him.
> It smacks of jazz festivals where every single player is billed as ...legendary!! Or maybe the
> legendary refers to the end of his leg??
>
> Who is Jim Muellner??

Martin Krieg is a crusader and therefore inclined to excessive hyperbole. I suggest either accepting
this or ignoring his posts completely. Criticism will just be viewed as a sign that you have yet to
be converted to the cause, and will not influence Mr. Krieg's future (cross)posting behavior.

"Gearóid Ó Laoi/Garry Lee" <[email protected]> brightened my day with his incisive wit when
in news:[email protected] he conjectured that:

> Isn't it a great wonder that Jim Muellner could be such a legend and that I've never heard of him.
> It smacks of jazz festivals where every single player is billed as ...legendary!! Or maybe the
> legendary refers to the end of his leg??
>
> Who is Jim Muellner??

http://www.bikeroute.com/NationalMayorsRide/JimMuellner/

Use the link Luke.

--
Walter Mitty.

"They're not gonna catch us. We're on a mission from God!"

Tom Sherman wrote:
> "Gearóid Ó Laoi/Garry Lee" wrote:
>
>>Isn't it a great wonder that Jim Muellner could be such a legend and that I've never heard of him.
>>It smacks of jazz festivals where every single player is billed as ...legendary!! Or maybe the
>>legendary refers to the end of his leg??
>>
>>Who is Jim Muellner??
>

> Martin Krieg is a crusader and therefore inclined to excessive hyperbole. I suggest either
> accepting this or ignoring his posts completely. Criticism will just be viewed as a sign that you
> have yet to be converted to the cause, and will not influence Mr. Krieg's future (cross)posting
> behavior.
>
> Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

> Use the link Luke.
>
> --
> Walter Mitty.

So a legend is someone for whom you need a link to find out about him....

I think there's a link missing somewhere...

Garry Darwin.

"Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> brightened my day with his incisive wit
when in news:[email protected] he conjectured that:

>> Use the link Luke.
>>
>> --
>> Walter Mitty.
>
> So a legend is someone for whom you need a link to find out about
him....

> I think there's a link missing somewhere...
>
> Garry Darwin.

It's all a bit of tongue in cheek. And besides, one mans legend is anothers jam sandwich.

--
Walter Mitty.

> It's all a bit of tongue in cheek. And besides, one mans legend is anothers jam sandwich.

I knew it was tongue in cheek but have you ever tried a legend sandwich or did you ever hear of the
jammary Jim Muellner??