legs burnnnnnnn

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by david462, Nov 22, 2007.

1. david462

david462 New Member

im kinda a beginner...

i rode today with a friend who races cat1's and stuff. he said it would be an easy ride, so i knew i would have a tough time but went along with it.

it was 3 hours, 50 miles. to keep up with him my bpm was 180-190 the whole time, occasionally dropped to 160, and occasionally hit close to my max (205).

all that lactic acid is killing my legs.

while i was pusing 180bpm he was at 120. but apparently ive been 'training' the wrong way for the past 4 months. i'd ride an hour at 180bpm. he told me to ride at 140-150 especially during the off season.

anyways, my legs hurt.

Tags:

2. sogood

sogood New Member

Even if you did it his way, a cyclists 4 months into the sport is fully entitled and expected to "die" on such a ride.

3. DJA

DJA New Member

He is right.
    you need to develope your aerobic capacity
    back it off a little and the LA burn should go as well.

4. david462

david462 New Member

its been 8 hours since i stopped riding today and it seems like my heart is kinda beating fast just from walking up the stairs or even just sitting. i can kinda feel my head throbbing from the heart beats.

5. sogood

sogood New Member

Classic symptom and sign of over-training. :D

6. david462

david462 New Member

im about to go to bed and ive been sitting down on my laptop for about 5 minutes with a hrm and im at 100 bpm. think it will be back to normal by the morning? i have to work 6-6 and dont want to feel like this.

7. sogood

sogood New Member

Keep yourself well hydrated.

8. dsschanze

dsschanze New Member

Your HR should be back to normal after a good night's sleep..so if you go to bed early enought :). Don't feel bad, the same thing will happen to everyone that starts (unless they are supernatural).
    Definitely do as your friend says though, do your rides at 140-150 bpm for a while to build up your aerobic capacity. Once you have done this for a while, maybe a month or so, you could add some periods (don't want to call them intervals) of shorter faster pace along with your regular ride.

Good luck with your training!

-Derek

9. daveryanwyoming

daveryanwyoming Well-Known Member

No issues with any of the advice given above, but just for the record it isn't lactic acid that you're feeling after your workouts. The idea of residual lactic acid buildup causing muscle soreness has been debunked many times but the myth persists. Check out some of these links:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/16/health/nutrition/16run.html
    http://coachdeanhebert.wordpress.com/2007/08/16/lactic-acid-myth/
    http://www.time-to-run.com/theabc/lactic.htm

or any of the dozens of similar articles you'll get if google the subject.

Anyway, the others gave you good advice, train more, train regularly, build fitness and sustainable power and you won't be so sore after riding(although a fit Cat 1 rider could put the hurt to most of us). Just don't blame it on lactic acid :)

-Dave

10. musher

musher New Member

Riding for 4 months and keeping up with a cat 1:) ,well done .
    Lactic acid is not your problem,but your LT is ,you will need to raise your LT by "accummulating time at a given Intensity"

Lactic acid :glycogen store is more rapidly depleted when large amount of lactic acid are produce and muscle performance is severely depressed a low glycogen level.

A inorganic phosphate which increase during fatigue due to breakdown of creatine phosphate ,appears to be the major cause of muscular fatigue.:eek:

www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/summary/305/5687/1112?ck=nck

www.cyclingnews.com/fitness.php?id=fitness/2004/lactic-frederick

You can look on Google under " muscle fatigue :lactic acid or inorganic phosphate the major cause". all the best, Ride hard :D Musher

11. Yojimbo_

Yojimbo_ Well-Known Member

Re the high heart rate, whenever this happened to me in the past I attributed it to not having had enough to eat or drink.