Leg's running on empty

zipp2001

Mar 30, 2007
Had a very busy day at work, and by the end of the day I was dragging. Driving home I still wanted to go for a ride, so I decided to take out the TT bike for a little 15 mile loop. Dead leg's and a 54 tooth makes for some good suffering, oh how I enjoy days like this.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
Love the music, AC/DC fan here!

Those running on empty rides make for the best workouts sometimes. My wife worked 13 hours couple Fridays back. Got home at 8:30 pm. Went out for a spaghetti dinner then got up in the morning and cranked out a 60 miler! :cool:

If it had been me at work for the 13 hours, I would have stayed in bed the next morning in a fetal position! :D

Reactions: zipp2001
If it had been me at work for the 13 hours, I would have stayed in bed the next morning in a fetal position! :D

I would be in that same position if I had worked that long. But not in the fetal position, hahahaaah. When I am stressed out, I don't have the energy to even walk much more to ride. Riding is fun for me and it relieves my stress, that's during normal times when my body would cooperate. But when I am fatigued, all I want is to sit in front of the tv with feet up on the sofa.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
wow, running on empty for me would be kind of dangerous.

I have problems with my blood sugar levels, so I always have to reminding myself to have some protein and glucose.

I had a bad day yesterday, 4 hour spin with the last hour being sheer torture. Weak legs, wrong gearing and going out too hard too fast.

I paid the price in the last 60 minutes.

Reactions: zipp2001
I am definitely a cyclist who prefers to hit the road early. I often ride as soon as i wake up, often at 6 am or a tad earlier (depending on season). My speed doesn't suffer too much when riding in the evening, but it feels more draining to ride when I get out of work at around 6pm. a few things that help when riding later are these:

1-Don't eat too much junk food before hand and hydrate a lot before an evening ride.Bring enough food and hydration, most of us can muddle through really tough rides by having enough nutrition.
2-Walk around some during the day, especially if you have a desk job like myself.
3-Ride with others after work for a little motivation;)

Personally, I prefer shorter, speed sessions after work. Even though I'll feel more tired, an hour without stops is achievable even on my worse day. It also gets rid of stress that can build up during a day.

When I was younger, I would've probably done what you did. But now that I'm of a more mature age, I'm worried about suffering health complications if I attempted this. But it's a great share and thanks for giving us a detailed viewpoint of what you experienced.

So your leg is running on empty. Which one is it, the left one or the right one?