Triathlon · Public discussion

legs vs. lungs, running vs. cycling

Started by Matt Daly · · Last activity · 3 posts · 1,885 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Triathlon
Published
8 August 2003
Last activity
11 August 2003
Original author
Matt Daly
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,885
Views / 30 days
5

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have found that the limiting factor in my running is my lung power: I run out of breath before my
    legs give out. In cycling, it's the reverse: I can often easily breathe through my nose only while
    my legs scream with pain. At around 160 BPM, I am breathing hard while running but not at all when
    cycling. Why the discrepancy? Does this indicate a relative weakness in one of the two disciplines?
    Any VO2 or LT implications? I'm about a 40 min 10K runner and can do about a 65 min 40K bike TT, if
    that makes any difference.

    Appreciate any input on this...

  2. [email hidden] (Matt Daly) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I have found that the limiting factor in my running is my lung power: I run out of breath before
    my legs give out. In cycling, it's the reverse: I can often easily breathe through my nose only
    while my legs scream with pain. At around 160 BPM, I am breathing hard while running but not at
    all when cycling. Why the discrepancy?

    For most people the opposite would be true. Your LT is typically ~10 beats lower for cycling than
    running so you should be working harder when cycling at 160 BPM. The best way to check is to measure
    your LT in both sports. In my case they are about 3 BPM apart, running higher than cycling.

    Quoted message said:

    Does this indicate a relative weakness in one of the two disciplines? Any VO2 or LT implications?
    I'm about a 40 min 10K runner and can do about a 65 min 40K bike TT, if that makes any
    difference.

    It doesn't look like you are weak in either sport but a little more data might shed some light on
    the situation.

    Steve W.

  3. [email hidden] (Matt Daly) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I have found that the limiting factor in my running is my lung power: I run out of breath before
    my legs give out.

    Me too. Now, I'm not a triathlete, I used to be a cyclist, now I'm a runner who rides a little.

    When I was a cyclist, my legs and lungs were a matched set, but as I dropped cycling and took up
    running, my leg strength dropped while my lungs didn't. Now my legs aren't strong enough to keep up
    with my lungs when I'm riding.

    -JimV

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.