Leith Hill - Surrey England

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Russ, Mar 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Russ

Russ Guest

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has had a run-in with the local green wellie brigade,
    or indeed the national trust. Today (2nd time in as many times as I've ridden this trail), I was
    'lectured' by a member of the national trust for riding my 'bicycle' down a slope. This slope is
    pretty hairy, steep and long and is off limits to ramblers but not to rock climbers. It runs out
    onto a small green. It originates further up the hill from a bridleway (yes, a bridleway) close to
    the Leith Hill Cricket Club. But apparently, 'bicycles' are not allowed there. We were given no
    reason apart from the 'fact' that what we were doing was 'stupid'.

Har har de har har.

I think I coped a lot better this time, because last time i nearly had blood on my hands.

Please, Mr Green wellie national trust man, go throw your stick for your dog somewhere safe, where
    you won't put someone's eye out because I noticed some people sitting on a bench nearby looking
    pretty scared.

(Mike Vandeman, I have found your UK alter ego, if you want, I can get you his number so you can
    both go have a good time together, discussing stuff ;-)

Kindest Regards

Russ.

Tags:

2. Nick Drew

Nick Drew Guest

I've been there, but not recently. Last time was about 6 months ago, before the weather turned
    shonky. Had a problem with a runner who got stroppy - he was running very slowly in the middle of
    the path. Tried to go round him and he went that way etc. My mate nearly decked him - I was
    pissing myself...

Other than that, I haven't had any problems, and to be honest, at the tower at the top (with the
    sandwich stall), they seem quite happy to see bikers. I think the main problem is that it's a very
    popular place with walkers, so you're always going to get some self righteous muppets trying to
    throw their weight around. In the past I've just been courteous and said thanks for the info and
    ridden off.

If it's a real bother, there are some other pretty good hills round there, along that line of hills
    and forest, slightly closer to Guildford, although I forget their names.

I wish I was out today actually...

Cheers Nick
    --
    r e p l a c e s p a m w i t h n i c k t o r e p l y

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.