LEJOG and carrying water

elyob

Guest
Hi,

Am off to do LEJOG in a months time and am wondernig about carrying
water. We're doing the ride with support and my road bike only has one
place to put a bottle. There are no holes for a second.

Am considering taking my small camelbak.

Views?

Thanks

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 06:45:33 -0700 (PDT), elyob
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Am off to do LEJOG in a months time and am wondernig about carrying
>water. We're doing the ride with support and my road bike only has one
>place to put a bottle. There are no holes for a second.
>
>Am considering taking my small camelbak.
>
>Views?

I've cycled a lot with a camelback, I think they're good, but you can
get caught out and find yourself empty if it's the only source :)
I've never felt the extra weight of my small one a problem - but I did
end up with neck/shoulder aches when I had the SLR and more in the
slightly larger camelback.

Your other option is a cage behind the seat - e.g. <URL:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDeta...&N=Profile Aqua Rear Mount Bottle Cage System

Give you two more bottles without a problem.

Jim.

elyob wrote:

> Am off to do LEJOG in a months time and am wondernig about carrying
> water. We're doing the ride with support and my road bike only has one
> place to put a bottle. There are no holes for a second.
>
> Am considering taking my small camelbak.
>
> Views?

Jim's points are good, another option is a bum-bag with in integrated
bottle holster, which will also give you some space for snacks etc.
Since a belt might interfere with jersey back pockets, or you may not
have them, that would make up for that.
Not especially keen on anything on my back on a longer ride, just makes
it sweatier for little gain. A Camelbak has its uses off-road,
certainly, in giving you a hands-free and more likely muck-free drink,
but that's not really an issue on the tarmac.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Jim Ley wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 06:45:33 -0700 (PDT), elyob
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am off to do LEJOG in a months time and am wondernig about carrying
>> water. We're doing the ride with support and my road bike only has one
>> place to put a bottle. There are no holes for a second.
>>
>> Am considering taking my small camelbak.
>>
>> Views?

> I've cycled a lot with a camelback, I think they're good, but you can
> get caught out and find yourself empty if it's the only source :)
> I've never felt the extra weight of my small one a problem - but I did
> end up with neck/shoulder aches when I had the SLR and more in the
> slightly larger camelback.
>
> Your other option is a cage behind the seat - e.g. <URL:
> http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDeta...&N=Profile Aqua Rear Mount Bottle Cage System
> Give you two more bottles without a problem.

There is an American website I saw ages ago that had many solutions to
adding extra bottles to your bike.

Minoura do a handle bar mount for bottle cages (BH95), which apparently
also attaches to seat posts.

e.g.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Minoura-BH-95-Bottle-Cage-Holder/dp/B000P1OB2W
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-...rsal-Handlebar-Mount-for-Bottle-Cage-5797.htm

This might attach to the frame of a road bike, if the tube diameter is
in the right range.

I think I have also seen a dual bottle holder, that attaches to one set
of cage bolts, although this could potentially get in the way.

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 15:01:03 GMT, Martin Dann <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Jim Ley wrote:
>> Your other option is a cage behind the seat - e.g. <URL:
>> http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDeta...&N=Profile Aqua Rear Mount Bottle Cage System
>> Give you two more bottles without a problem.

>There is an American website I saw ages ago that had many solutions to
>adding extra bottles to your bike.
>
>Minoura do a handle bar mount for bottle cages (BH95), which apparently
>also attaches to seat posts.
>
>e.g.
>http://www.amazon.co.uk/Minoura-BH-95-Bottle-Cage-Holder/dp/B000P1OB2W
>http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-...rsal-Handlebar-Mount-for-Bottle-Cage-5797.htm
>
>This might attach to the frame of a road bike, if the tube diameter is
>in the right range.
>
>I think I have also seen a dual bottle holder, that attaches to one set
>of cage bolts, although this could potentially get in the way.

Or you could fit aero bars and a use an aero bar mount - same
accessibility to fluid as the camelback, but carried on the bike...

Jim.

On Apr 22, 2:45 pm, elyob <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am off to do LEJOG in a months time and am wondernig about carrying
> water. We're doing the ride with support and my road bike only has one
> place to put a bottle. There are no holes for a second.
>
> Am considering taking my small camelbak.
>
> Views?
>
> Thanks

Like Peter, I hate carrying anything on my back on a long ride.

On my last bike, which had only a single set of bottle bosses, I added
a second bottle cage with a pair of small jubilee clips to clamp the
cage to the seat tube. A piece of old inner tube under the clips
protected the paintowrk. Ugly, but effective.

Somthing similar, but a less agricultural:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-...rsal-Handlebar-Mount-for-Bottle-Cage-5797.htm

....and lots of other shops have similar gizmos.

There are lots of other options, including handlebar mounted cages,
behind the saddle single or double cages, a third water bottle hanging
below the downtube (though they tend to get dirty down there), etc.

Two large (750ml) bottles has been plenty for me for anything I've
done. I can only recall one occasion on which I ran out and couldn't
get a refill.

On long tour, unless you're really hammering along it, or having a
very bad day, you're going to be on the road during daylight hours
anyway.
You can top up with more water at or shop, and there lots of pubs,
24hr garages, Tesco outlets etc. if you are stuck outside normal shop
hours.

Keep an eye on the route map, and if you have a long day ahead out in
the sticks, add a 2lt. bottle of water in the luggage, but IME, it's
rarely really necessary - you're better off carrying less rather than
more, and water is one thing you can get fairly easily en-route.

hth,

bookieb.

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 06:45:33 -0700 (PDT)
elyob <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am off to do LEJOG in a months time and am wondernig about carrying
> water. We're doing the ride with support and my road bike only has one
> place to put a bottle. There are no holes for a second.

One bottle should be ample for riding: you're never impossibly far
from a refill on this island.

If you want more - maybe for overnight with no supply - you could
always put a spare bottle in your panniers. That needn't be a
cycling bottle: a supermarket bottle would do just nicely to
replenish the one you're drinking from.

--
not me guv

On 22 Apr, 16:28, bookieb <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 22, 2:45 pm, elyob <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,

> > Am off to do LEJOG in a months time and am wondernig about carrying
> > water. We're doing the ride with support and my road bike only has one
> > place to put a bottle. There are no holes for a second.

> > Am considering taking my small camelbak.

> > Views?

> > Thanks

> Like Peter, I hate carrying anything on my back on a long ride.
>
> On my last bike, which had only a single set of bottle bosses, I added
> a second bottle cage with a pair of small jubilee clips to clamp the
> cage to the seat tube. A piece of old inner tube under the clips
> protected the paintowrk.  Ugly, but effective.
>
> Somthing similar, but a less agricultural:
>
> http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Minoura-Minoura-BH-95-Cage-Holder-...
>
> ...and lots of other shops have similar gizmos.
>
> There are lots of other options, including handlebar mounted cages,
> behind the saddle single or double cages, a third water bottle hanging
> below the downtube (though they tend to get dirty down there), etc.
>
> Two large (750ml) bottles has been plenty for me for anything I've
> done. I can only recall one occasion on which I ran out and couldn't
> get a refill.
>
> On long tour, unless you're really hammering along it, or having a
> very bad day, you're going to be on the road during daylight hours
> anyway.
> You can top up with more water at or shop, and there lots of pubs,
> 24hr garages, Tesco outlets etc. if you are stuck outside normal shop
> hours.
>
> Keep an eye on the route map, and if you have a long day ahead out in
> the sticks, add a 2lt. bottle of water in the luggage, but IME, it's
> rarely really necessary - you're better off carrying less rather than
> more, and water is one thing you can get fairly easily en-route.
>
> hth,
>
> bookieb.

The fun part of this is that I'm doing the LEJOG without a single
map ... well, without a paper map. Just taking a GPS :)

We do have a support van and mobiles, so there shouldn't be any
emergency. However I want to carry enough without too much trouble.
The seat post seems the best one so far ... apart from the £25 price
tag ...

Have you all seen my lejog blog? :)

--
http://lejog.elyob.com

elyob wrote:

>The fun part of this is that I'm doing the LEJOG without a single
>map ... well, without a paper map. Just taking a GPS :)

I tried doing that on a tour of churches west of Peterborough
yesterday. I ended up heading off up the A47 instead of heading along
the A605 to the A1and thence the lanes beyond Chesterton. I think I
need to figure out exactly how the auto-routing works ;-\

To make things worse I had also wandered off the bit of paper map that
I had printed out. Luckily I had the OS map I needed to figure out an
escape "back to route" on my PDA

Quoting elyob <[email protected]>:
>Am off to do LEJOG in a months time and am wondernig about carrying
>water. We're doing the ride with support and my road bike only has one
>place to put a bottle. There are no holes for a second.
>Views?

We did it with 3 75cl bottles between two in September - and in Cornwall
in September it's still summer - and we never ran out of water, although
we did have to be careful to scrounge some up at every lunch stop.
Today is Stilday, April - a weekend.

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Am off to do LEJOG in a months time and am wondernig about carrying
>water. We're doing the ride with support and my road bike only has one
>place to put a bottle. There are no holes for a second.
>
>Am considering taking my small camelbak.
>
>Views?

When I did the Raid Pyreanean 6 or 7 years ago I put a 3L camelbak in
my rear pannier with an extention tube to my front handlebars. The
system worked reasonablly well - though it took quite a suck to bring
the water up from ankle height.

Quoting Martin Dann <[email protected]>:
>Minoura do a handle bar mount for bottle cages (BH95), which apparently
>also attaches to seat posts.

I've got one of these on the bars of my 650B roadster. Works fine, and
relatively easy to fit.
Today is Stilday, April - a weekend.

In article <e9a7795a-2bb0-46a6-a84d-a041b8c6c75a@
24g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>, elyob
[email protected] says...
> Hi,
>
> Am off to do LEJOG in a months time and am wondernig about carrying
> water. We're doing the ride with support and my road bike only has one
> place to put a bottle. There are no holes for a second.
>
> Am considering taking my small camelbak.
>
> Views?

Get a 4 litre water bladder and carry it in a handlebar bag, along with
your pork pies, fruit cake and bananas. That should keep you going for
a while.

"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> Am off to do LEJOG in a months time and am wondernig about carrying
> water. We're doing the ride with support and my road bike only has one
> place to put a bottle. There are no holes for a second.
>
> Am considering taking my small camelbak.

I took a Camelback Mule for my water supplies and kept wine, cider or beer
in my bottle cages. That's why they're called bottle cages innit :)

David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote in
news:pJi*[email protected]:

> Quoting elyob <[email protected]>:
>>Am off to do LEJOG in a months time and am wondernig about carrying
>>water. We're doing the ride with support and my road bike only has one
>>place to put a bottle. There are no holes for a second.
>>Views?

> We did it with 3 75cl bottles between two in September - and in Cornwall
> in September it's still summer - and we never ran out of water, although
> we did have to be careful to scrounge some up at every lunch stop.

I'd tend to support that - I know I never drink enough but I've never
needed more than two one litre bottles on any ride (upto 400km). You can
generally get a top up almost anywhere. And - that mix of orange juice and
whatever you can get at the garage tastes really .... er..... interesting.

Rob Morley wrote:
> In article <e9a7795a-2bb0-46a6-a84d-a041b8c6c75a@
> 24g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>, elyob
> [email protected] says...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am off to do LEJOG in a months time and am wondernig about carrying
>> water. We're doing the ride with support and my road bike only has one
>> place to put a bottle. There are no holes for a second.
>>
>> Am considering taking my small camelbak.
>>
>> Views?
>>

> Get a 4 litre water bladder and carry it in a handlebar bag, along with
> your pork pies, fruit cake and bananas. That should keep you going for
> a while.

I use a Platypus - rolls up small when not in use and expands to the
volume of water carried so it can be packed away in a corner.