lemon cookies

Julia Altshuler

Guest
A short while ago I posted asking for how to get an intense lemon flavor in lemon cookies. I'm
slowly working my way through everyone's ideas. That's slowly because this is a pet home project,
not something for a bakery. I only get a yen for cookies every few weeks so I experiment then.

Here's what I've got so far.

Ingredients:

1.5 sticks of butter 1 cup sugar 1 egg .5 tsp. vanilla 1 lime, zest and juice 1 cup unbleached white
flour .5 cup King Arthur brand white whole wheat flour .5 cup oat flour .5 tsp. baking powder

Explanation of the ingredients:

I use salted butter and leave out the table salt.

The original recipe calls for 2 cups of white flour, but I like to vary that. Some white wheat flour
seems to be necessary since the cookie gets too crumbly without it. I make oat flour by taking
Quaker rolled oats and processing them in the food processor with the steel blade. It doesn't get
fine enough for all of it to go through a sifter which I like. It gives the cookie a little texture.
Someone on this list recommended King Arthur white whole wheat flour. I love the stuff and have been
using it in all my baking.

For last night's experiment, I used a lime instead of lemon only because limes were on sale at
the supermarket. There's no strong difference in flavor. I thought the green flecks were
festive looking.

Method:

Cream butter and sugar. Add egg, vanilla, grated lime zest and 2 Tablespoons of the lime juice. Mix
well. Sift in dry ingredients. Add unsifted oat flour. Mix. Form into a log wrapped in wax paper and
plastic wrap. Refrigerate over night. Cut cookies a quarter inch thick with a serrated knife. Place
on parchment paper on cookie sheet. With a pastry brush, brush remaining lime juice on tops of
cookies. Bake at 350 degrees until lightly browned on bottom, about 10 minutes. Let cool on cookie
sheet for a few minutes before trying to remove as they crumble easily.

Results:

I'm pleased. I especially like the texture from the oat flour. The cookie stays moist and tastes
buttery. The lime juice with no extra sugar on top is getting closer to the intense flavor I want.
I'm still going for more. Y'all had suggestions for lemon oil and frozen concentrate. I'll try them
and report back.

--Lia

"Julia Altshuler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
: A short while ago I posted asking for how to get an intense
lemon flavor
: in lemon cookies. I'm slowly working my way through everyone's
ideas.

<snip>

The lime juice with no extra
: sugar on top is getting closer to the intense flavor I want.
I'm still
: going for more. Y'all had suggestions for lemon oil and frozen concentrate. I'll try them and
: report back.
:
:
: --Lia
: ========

Sounds good Lia. Looking forward to trying them once you've perfected your recipe!

--
Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> A short while ago I posted asking for how to get an intense lemon flavor in lemon cookies. I'm
> slowly working my way through everyone's ideas. That's slowly because this is a pet home project,
> not something for a bakery. I only get a yen for cookies every few weeks so I experiment then.

Lemon cookies! I suggest you send them to me for expert analysis.

Brian Rodenborn

"Julia Altshuler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:3_ARb.129720$sv6.688583@attbi_s52... <snip>
> I'm pleased. I especially like the texture from the oat flour. The cookie stays moist and tastes
> buttery. The lime juice with no extra sugar on top is getting closer to the intense flavor I want.
> I'm still going for more. Y'all had suggestions for lemon oil and frozen concentrate. I'll try
> them and report back.
>

> --Lia

Lemon oil, lime oil, or orange oil will all serve to intensify the flavor. Just be sure not to
overdo it...too much will cause a bitter aftertaste, especially in baked items.

kimberly

"Julia Altshuler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> A short while ago I posted asking for how to get an intense lemon flavor in lemon cookies.
<snip>

> --Lia

Lia, Here's a recipe I got from one of my favorite Pastry Chefs...Cindy Mushet. These are very
lemony, and the chocolate is the perfect accompaniment.

Baci di Dama

Pans & Prep: 2 sheet pans, lined with parchment paper Double boiler, or similar set up (two pans or
bowl and pan) Food processor & stand mixer

Ingredients:
7/8 cup (4 1/2 oz) blanched almonds
8/2 cup + 2 Tbsp (4 1/2 oz) sugar 1 cup + 1 Tbsp (4 1/2 oz) butter 1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
9/2 tsp lemon oil zest of 2 large or 3 medium lemons pinch salt 1 cup minus 1 Tbsp (4 1/2 oz)
unbleached flour 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate

Place almonds and sugar in the processor and pulse until the almonds are ground to the texture of
fine sand.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, place the almond/sugar mixture,
butter, vanilla, lemon oil, lemon zest, and salt. Beat on med-high until very light in color- nearly
white- about 4-5 minutes. Remove the bowl from the mixer and sift the flour over the top. Gently
fold, being careful not to overwork the dough, until the mixture is homogenous. Chill 30 min or up
to overnight

Preheat oven to 350*f. Use a small ice cream scoop or melon baller to shape the dough into small
rounds. Place each mound 1 1/2" apart on the cookie sheets, and use the heel of your hand to
slightly flatten to about 3/8 inch thick. If possible, chill again briefly before baking. Bake until
very delicate golden brown, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and place on racks to cool
completely.

Finely chop chocolate and place in top half of double boiler. In double boiler bottom, bring an inch
or so of water to a boil. Turn off the heat and place top half containing chocolate over the water.
Stir frequently, until smooth and evenly melted. When the cookies are cool, spread the bottoms and
sandwich them together. Chill briefly to set chocolate.

Mangia!

kimberly

Nexis wrote:

> Lia, Here's a recipe I got from one of my favorite Pastry Chefs...Cindy Mushet. These are very
> lemony, and the chocolate is the perfect accompaniment.
>
> Baci di Dama

I've got it printed out. Thanks! That's a little more in the way of ingredients and equipment than I
usually go for, but I may try these anyway on a special occasion.

--Lia

Nexis wrote:

> Lemon oil, lime oil, or orange oil will all serve to intensify the flavor. Just be sure not to
> overdo it...too much will cause a bitter aftertaste, especially in baked items.
>
> kimberly

I'm familiar with that aftertaste which is why I've avoided lemon oil so far. Still, so many people
have suggested it that I have to get some and begin experimenting.

> Nexis wrote:
>
> > Lia, Here's a recipe I got from one of my favorite Pastry Chefs...Cindy
Mushet.
> > These are very lemony, and the chocolate is the perfect accompaniment.
> >
> > Baci di Dama
> >

> I've got it printed out. Thanks! That's a little more in the way of ingredients and equipment than
> I usually go for, but I may try these anyway on a special occasion.
>

> --Lia

Do try them...they're worth the effort, and it's really not as complicated as it sounds :) You
can use the microwave to melt the chocolate, but I find I get more consistent results with a
double boiler.

kimberly

>I used a lime instead of lemon

Use a microplane zester--the zest comes out like snow--no bitter white pith.

Gtwy4cb wrote:
>>I used a lime instead of lemon
>

> Use a microplane zester--the zest comes out like snow--no bitter white pith.

I did! Another good idea I got from this list. --Lia

On 28 Jan 2004 23:34:46 GMT, [email protected] (Eveningg) wrote:

>Has anyone ever used citric acid to add tartness? I'm just curious.
>
>Eve

I was thinking of citric acid (aka "sour salt").too. Another idea would be to use undiluted frozen
lemonade, perhaps in the glaze.