Lemond Accuses Armstrong?

So what's the basis of the suspicion? His performance? By that standard, the last four 5-time winners are also suspect.

Armstrong has incredible genetoc potential, so it makes sense he could tie the four other 5-time winners. Everyone seems to be doping crazed these days. Sheesh.

cydewaze said:
So what's the basis of the suspicion? His performance? By that standard, the last four 5-time winners are also suspect.

Armstrong has incredible genetoc potential, so it makes sense he could tie the four other 5-time winners. Everyone seems to be doping crazed these days. Sheesh.

for that matter, the last several 3-time winners would be suspect, no?

why should Lemond be exempt from doping suspicion? because he was never accused previously, and therefore hasn't had to defend himself year in and year out?

"People ask me what I'm on.

What am I on?

I'm on my bike — busting my ass — six hours a day. What are you on?"

What is the source of this article? It says Yahoo!, but it doesn't have any author's name or news agency. And notice also that it is coming from Paris. Is Lemond in Paris? What's he doing over there? The race is nowhere near Paris.

This sounds like race propaganda targeting one American against another. I don't believe that Lemond really made this statement. I think it is designed to foment discord at just the opportune time during the Tour--right before the Pyrenees.

Who knows who dreamed that one up.

I just did a google search, and it appears that perhaps Lemond actually did make those comments to LeMonde magazine in France. But he admits that he really knows nothing other than the allegations in the book and rumors that have been around for years. So the reason it is making press is not because of new knowledge, but because of stature of the former rider.

If he had known something a few years ago, and failed to mention it until now, that seems a little harder to believe than if he would have gone to press earlier. It seems like a lousy time to bring forth suspicions. But then again, I am not convinced that French magazine properly quoted Lemond, given the timing of the press release.

I think that Lemond is a has been and can't stand seeing Armstrong do so well.
I say boycott Greg Lemond and all his products!

The same story on MSN news just says "Associated Press"

If it is true, It's terrible that another American cycling icon is accusing Armstrong....

TheDL said:
The same story on MSN news just says "Associated Press"

If it is true, It's terrible that another American cycling icon is accusing Armstrong....

France's ultimate goal

I mean, the fact that there is not author/source makes this article B.S. from the start. I am hoping, GL is being quoted falsly.

This is some tactic to try to throw Lance off his mental course. The book obviously failed to break him, so they (and by they, I am meaning France) are trying this now...

More breaking news...

Breaking news

Lemond has commented in the past about Lance's alleged drug taking. Lance addresses this in his second book. Lemond supported the French drug investigation against Lance in 2000-01 and was quoted as saying, "Lance is one of the greatest frauds in the history of cycling." So I wouldn't be surprised if Lemond made these recent accusations.

I'm not sure what Lemond's motive is for attacking Lance other than sour grapes. Lemond's victories were over ten years ago and in the shadow of Indurain's incredible 5-year Tour reign.

Does Lemond mountain bike?? I think he may have stumbled on some Mendo county "dope" up in the woods to run off like that at the mouth...Sure gonna **** a lot of folks off
I don't know, I think, regardless (ie...if Lance is doing it they are all doing it and not getting caught)...Lance is about the only sports figure I see on the TV that deserves our American brand of hero worship. He works harder in an hour then a football or baseball player does in a day...after beating cancer...and still has to sell Subaru's to pull in the same kind of money. Shoot- see? It's already ****** me off and I don't know if it's the real deal or not...Time to calm down and go for a ride
Cheers

gsabin said:
I think that Lemond is a has been and can't stand seeing Armstrong do so well.
I say boycott Greg Lemond and all his products!

Totally. What sour grapes.

I expected more class from Lemond.

Here is a link to the original article in LeMonde. Sorry but it is in French.
http://www.lemonde.fr/web/article/0,1-0@2-3248,36-372691,0.html

LeMond has some pretty strong words. I wonder how Trek is going to handle this as they own LeMond Bicycles?

What I don't friggin' understand is if all of these accusations are true why in the hell did it take almost 5 years for people to come forward? Why is LeMond, O'Reilly, and who else knows coming out now? I have read about ten diffferent versions of these stories and each one gets a more and more convoluted. Seems fishy to me.

Anyways, GO LANCE AND USPS!

Cyclism said:
Lemond has commented in the past about Lance's alleged drug taking. Lance addresses this in his second book. Lemond supported the French drug investigation against Lance in 2000-01 and was quoted as saying, "Lance is one of the greatest frauds in the history of cycling." So I wouldn't be surprised if Lemond made these recent accusations.

I'm not sure what Lemond's motive is for attacking Lance other than sour grapes. Lemond's victories were over ten years ago and in the shadow of Indurain's incredible 5-year Tour reign.

I've heard that Greg LeMond's wife is quoted in the new contriversial book by David Walsh "LA Confidential". Supposedly they weren't able to quote Greg himself because of contractual obligations that he has with Trek. Allegedly LeMond's wife overheard a phone conversation that Greg had with Lance regarding doping allegations that LeMond had made against Lance in the past. It sounded like Armstrong called LeMond and was outraged, while LeMonds wife overheard Greg's end of the conversation. Don't know much more about it. But anyway, it's true that this wouldn't be the first time that LeMond has insinuated doping by Armstrong. It's really sad.

One thing people seem to overlook when they're making these allegations is that cyclists take these drugs in order to be able to train harder and hopefully gain tenths of a second on their competition. It's not like the stuff is some miracle substance that turns an average rider into Superman!!! If it did, we'd have multiple Tour de France winners in Richard Verenque, David Millar, and other cyclists who have either openly admitted to, or have been tested positive for using them! Most of the cyclists who have been busted frankly haven't accomplished much. And in the case of Verenque, his performance hasn't declined significantly since he has returned to cycling. Yet people make it sound like Armstrong uses these substances and it elevates him from mediocre pro cyclist to the best in the world. Hahaha! Ummm... sorry, but NOT POSSIBLE!!!

Not only that, Armstrong has tested negative every time he has been tested (and he's been tested more than any other cyclist). It's obvious that the folks making these allegations simply don't like Armstrong for one reason or another (envy in LeMond's case perhaps) and are looking for any way that they can to knock him down. Very sad indeed.

meehs said:
Yet people make it sound like Armstrong uses these substances and it elevates him from mediocre pro cyclist to the best in the world. Hahaha! Ummm... sorry, but NOT POSSIBLE!!!
Excellent point!

meehs said:
Not only that, Armstrong has tested negative every time he has been tested (and he's been tested more than any other cyclist). It's obvious that the folks making these allegations simply don't like Armstrong for one reason or another (envy in LeMond's case perhaps) and are looking for any way that they can to knock him down. Very sad indeed.
Keep in mind that before the cancer, Lance was known to be not the nicest of people. It's possible that he stepped on some toes and made some enemies. Perhaps this is some sort of revenge.

meehs said:
I've heard that Greg LeMond's wife is quoted in the new contriversial book by David Walsh "LA Confidential". Supposedly they weren't able to quote Greg himself because of contractual obligations that he has with Trek. Allegedly LeMond's wife overheard a phone conversation that Greg had with Lance regarding doping allegations that LeMond had made against Lance in the past. It sounded like Armstrong called LeMond and was outraged, while LeMonds wife overheard Greg's end of the conversation. Don't know much more about it. But anyway, it's true that this wouldn't be the first time that LeMond has insinuated doping by Armstrong. It's really sad.

One thing people seem to overlook when they're making these allegations is that cyclists take these drugs in order to be able to train harder and hopefully gain tenths of a second on their competition. It's not like the stuff is some miracle substance that turns an average rider into Superman!!! If it did, we'd have multiple Tour de France winners in Richard Verenque, David Millar, and other cyclists who have either openly admitted to, or have been tested positive for using them! Most of the cyclists who have been busted frankly haven't accomplished much. And in the case of Verenque, his performance hasn't declined significantly since he has returned to cycling. Yet people make it sound like Armstrong uses these substances and it elevates him from mediocre pro cyclist to the best in the world. Hahaha! Ummm... sorry, but NOT POSSIBLE!!!

Beautiful. Well written. I applaud you! This should knock some sense into people

TrekDedicated said:
Beautiful. Well written. I applaud you! This should knock some sense into people

Unfortunately, it won't knock sense into some people. Sadly, there are too many people, particularly among cyclists I'm afraid, who are so petty and such little tiny twisted souls that they can only sneer and put down what they are utterly incapable of accomplishing themselves.

Need proof? Just read this board....