LeMond Alp d'Huez

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Per Moerch Jensen, Jun 11, 2004.

  1. Hi,
    I have just purchased a LeMond "Alp d'Huez". It is a Aluminiun frame,
    but
    not a slop model, the top tube is horizontal! When I look at
    www.lemondbikes.com
    the model LeMond "Alp d'Huez" in aluminium is a slop frame. So my
    model seems to be diiferent from what Lemond presents.

    The Frame is produced in Taiwan.
    And it does not look like the original model in steel or aluminium.
    How can I be sure I have not bought a cheap illegal copy model. The
    labels on
    the frame is LeMond "Alp d'Huez".

    Any ideas are wellcome.
    Per

    Tags:

  2. "Per Moerch Jensen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi,
    > I have just purchased a LeMond "Alp d'Huez". It is a Aluminiun frame,
    > but
    > not a slop model, the top tube is horizontal! When I look at
    > www.lemondbikes.com
    > the model LeMond "Alp d'Huez" in aluminium is a slop frame. So my
    > model seems to be diiferent from what Lemond presents.
    >
    > The Frame is produced in Taiwan.
    > And it does not look like the original model in steel or aluminium.
    > How can I be sure I have not bought a cheap illegal copy model. The
    > labels on
    > the frame is LeMond "Alp d'Huez".
    >
    > Any ideas are wellcome.
    > Per

    The models shown on the web-site are 2004 models. Pehaps yours is not a 2004
    mode. Earlier Apl d'Huez had horizontal top tubes, as yours does. See the
    2003 Lemond archives here:
    http://www.lemondbikes.com/2004_bikes/index.shtml# and click on "visit our
    bike archive"

  3. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    Dave Thompson wrote:

    > "Per Moerch Jensen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Hi,
    >> I have just purchased a LeMond "Alp d'Huez". It is a Aluminiun frame,
    >> but
    >> not a slop model, the top tube is horizontal! When I look at
    >> www.lemondbikes.com
    >> the model LeMond "Alp d'Huez" in aluminium is a slop frame. So my
    >> model seems to be diiferent from what Lemond presents.
    >>
    >> The Frame is produced in Taiwan.
    >> And it does not look like the original model in steel or aluminium.
    >> How can I be sure I have not bought a cheap illegal copy model. The
    >> labels on
    >> the frame is LeMond "Alp d'Huez".
    >>
    >> Any ideas are wellcome.
    >> Per

    > The models shown on the web-site are 2004 models. Pehaps yours is not
    > a 2004 mode. Earlier Apl d'Huez had horizontal top tubes, as yours
    > does. See the 2003 Lemond archives here:
    > http://www.lemondbikes.com/2004_bikes/index.shtml# and click on
    > "visit our bike archive"

    Originally that model had a typical steel frame, but they changed it to an
    aero-looking aluminum one for a few years around '98 or '99. I know because a
    friend has one of the old orange steel ones, which I wanted but they changed it
    on me. Now it's back to steel again (I think).

    Matt O.

  4. Jeff Starr

    Jeff Starr Guest

    "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Originally that model had a typical steel frame, but they changed it to an
    > aero-looking aluminum one for a few years around '98 or '99. I know because a
    > friend has one of the old orange steel ones, which I wanted but they changed it
    > on me. Now it's back to steel again (I think).
    >
    > Matt O.

    Hi Matt, I know that the 2002 and 2003 were steel, but the 2004 is now
    aluminum. Here take a look:
    http://www.lemondbikes.com/2004_bikes/alpe_d_huez.jsp

    Life is Good!
    Jeff

  5. flatline

    flatline Guest

    Lemond had at least three "Aeroaluminum" models from about '98 to 2000
    or so. They all had the same level top tube frame but with different
    paint jobs and with different groups. The models were the L'Alpe
    d'Huez, Chamberry, and Maillot Juane. These frames were decently
    made, ride pretty good, and still surface on Ebay periodically. I
    have two Maillot Juanes, one aluminum and the other in steel.