LeMond Alp d'Huez

Per Moerch Jensen

Guest
Hi,
I have just purchased a LeMond "Alp d'Huez". It is a Aluminiun frame,
but
not a slop model, the top tube is horizontal! When I look at
www.lemondbikes.com
the model LeMond "Alp d'Huez" in aluminium is a slop frame. So my
model seems to be diiferent from what Lemond presents.

The Frame is produced in Taiwan.
And it does not look like the original model in steel or aluminium.
How can I be sure I have not bought a cheap illegal copy model. The
labels on
the frame is LeMond "Alp d'Huez".

Any ideas are wellcome.
Per

"Per Moerch Jensen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
> I have just purchased a LeMond "Alp d'Huez". It is a Aluminiun frame,
> but
> not a slop model, the top tube is horizontal! When I look at
> www.lemondbikes.com
> the model LeMond "Alp d'Huez" in aluminium is a slop frame. So my
> model seems to be diiferent from what Lemond presents.
>
> The Frame is produced in Taiwan.
> And it does not look like the original model in steel or aluminium.
> How can I be sure I have not bought a cheap illegal copy model. The
> labels on
> the frame is LeMond "Alp d'Huez".
>
> Any ideas are wellcome.
> Per

The models shown on the web-site are 2004 models. Pehaps yours is not a 2004
mode. Earlier Apl d'Huez had horizontal top tubes, as yours does. See the
2003 Lemond archives here:
http://www.lemondbikes.com/2004_bikes/index.shtml# and click on "visit our
bike archive"

Dave Thompson wrote:

> "Per Moerch Jensen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Hi,
>> I have just purchased a LeMond "Alp d'Huez". It is a Aluminiun frame,
>> but
>> not a slop model, the top tube is horizontal! When I look at
>> www.lemondbikes.com
>> the model LeMond "Alp d'Huez" in aluminium is a slop frame. So my
>> model seems to be diiferent from what Lemond presents.
>>
>> The Frame is produced in Taiwan.
>> And it does not look like the original model in steel or aluminium.
>> How can I be sure I have not bought a cheap illegal copy model. The
>> labels on
>> the frame is LeMond "Alp d'Huez".
>>
>> Any ideas are wellcome.
>> Per

> The models shown on the web-site are 2004 models. Pehaps yours is not
> a 2004 mode. Earlier Apl d'Huez had horizontal top tubes, as yours
> does. See the 2003 Lemond archives here:
> http://www.lemondbikes.com/2004_bikes/index.shtml# and click on
> "visit our bike archive"

Originally that model had a typical steel frame, but they changed it to an
aero-looking aluminum one for a few years around '98 or '99. I know because a
friend has one of the old orange steel ones, which I wanted but they changed it
on me. Now it's back to steel again (I think).

Matt O.

"Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Originally that model had a typical steel frame, but they changed it to an
> aero-looking aluminum one for a few years around '98 or '99. I know because a
> friend has one of the old orange steel ones, which I wanted but they changed it
> on me. Now it's back to steel again (I think).
>
> Matt O.

Hi Matt, I know that the 2002 and 2003 were steel, but the 2004 is now
aluminum. Here take a look:
http://www.lemondbikes.com/2004_bikes/alpe_d_huez.jsp

Life is Good!
Jeff

Lemond had at least three "Aeroaluminum" models from about '98 to 2000
or so. They all had the same level top tube frame but with different
paint jobs and with different groups. The models were the L'Alpe
d'Huez, Chamberry, and Maillot Juane. These frames were decently
made, ride pretty good, and still surface on Ebay periodically. I
have two Maillot Juanes, one aluminum and the other in steel.