Lemond Alpe D' Huez Opinions

Dsat

Guest
Considering this bike for first road bike to be used for fitness riding and an ocassional 20+ mile
trip. I did a test ride over the weekend. Just looking for opinions on this model. This model seems
to be right at my budget limit.

I tested several bikes with compact geometry and they seem too short in the top tube length.

I am comfortable with the shop that I would purchase from concerning the fit and
service/maintenance.

The Lemond bikes are great if you have a longer torso.

I recently purchased a Lemond Victoire, and absolutely love the Unique Lemond Geometry. I've ridden Fujis, Raleighs, Diamond Backs, Cannondales, and Treks, but none seem to have quite the same feel as Lemond. If it feels good and the price is right, I say go for it. A comfortable bike is a bike that gets more use.

Here's a site that does reviews from users.

http://www.roadbikereview.com/psc2002,Bikes/2002,Road,Bike/LeMond,Bicycles,A
lpe,DeHuez,Triple/PRD_101430_4229crx.aspx#reviews

Steve B.

"DSat" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Considering this bike for first road bike to be used for fitness riding and an ocassional 20+ mile
> trip. I did a test ride over the weekend. Just looking for opinions on this model. This model
> seems to be right at my budget limit.
>
> I tested several bikes with compact geometry and they seem too short in the top tube length.
>
> I am comfortable with the shop that I would purchase from concerning the fit and
> service/maintenance.

> Considering this bike for first road bike to be used for fitness riding and an ocassional 20+ mile
> trip. I did a test ride over the weekend. Just looking for opinions on this model. This model
> seems to be right at my budget limit.
>
> I tested several bikes with compact geometry and they seem too short in the top tube length.
>
> I am comfortable with the shop that I would purchase from concerning the fit and
> service/maintenance.

The Alpe D'Huez is a solid machine with no funny places where someone's cut corners etc. And if
you're comfortable with the shop, that counts for a lot. You can keep expanding your options until
you're never sure what's best (becoming a professional shopper), but then you lose out on some great
days to ride!

[email protected] (DSat) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Considering this bike for first road bike to be used for fitness riding and an ocassional 20+ mile
> trip. I did a test ride over the weekend. Just looking for opinions on this model. This model
> seems to be right at my budget limit.
>
> I tested several bikes with compact geometry and they seem too short in the top tube length.
>
> I am comfortable with the shop that I would purchase from concerning the fit and
> service/maintenance.

i don't have any experience with the alpe de huez, but i've had a lemond poprad for about two years
and love it. the geometry fits me well, but i am a tall clydesdale. i did have to raise the bars
with a different stem. it's a lot more comfortable for me when the seat and bars are level. smokey

news:<[email protected]>...
> "japple" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > The Lemond bikes are great if you have a longer torso.
>
> Scoot the seat forward a half inch and they fit like anything else.

???

Unless I've been on drugs for a long time, saddle fore-aft movement is meant to position your knee
relative to the pedal spindle, *not* to adjust cockpit length.

I own one and I'm afraid they do cut some corners, specifically the brakes. They are not 105 but
generic knock-offs and both of mine needed repair at less than 500 miles. See if your LBS will
upgrade your brakes. Otherwise it is a fine bike.

Geoff Baere

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote in message ...
>> Considering this bike for first road bike to be used for fitness riding and an ocassional 20+
>> mile trip. I did a test ride over the weekend. Just looking for opinions on this model. This
>> model seems to be right at my budget limit.
>>
>> I tested several bikes with compact geometry and they seem too short in the top tube length.
>>
>> I am comfortable with the shop that I would purchase from concerning the fit and
>> service/maintenance.
>
>The Alpe D'Huez is a solid machine with no funny places where someone's cut corners etc. And if
>you're comfortable with the shop, that counts for a lot. You can keep expanding your options until
>you're never sure what's best (becoming a professional shopper), but then you lose out on some
>great days to ride!
>
>--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Tom D" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > "japple" <[email protected]> wrote in
message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> > > The Lemond bikes are great if you have a longer torso.
> >
> > Scoot the seat forward a half inch and they fit like anything else.
>
> ???
>
> Unless I've been on drugs for a long time, saddle fore-aft
movement is
> meant to position your knee relative to the pedal spindle,
*not* to
> adjust cockpit length.

Don't blame the drugs, when it's apparent you just didn't learn anything in trigonometry class.

Matt O.

> I own one and I'm afraid they do cut some corners, specifically the
brakes.
> They are not 105 but generic knock-offs and both of mine needed repair at less than 500 miles. See
> if your LBS will upgrade your brakes. Otherwise
it
> is a fine bike.

What was the problem with your brakes? We've had no issues that I'm aware of. They're not Shimano,
but generally the dual-pivot road brake works because of design, not super-duper machining or such.
When I've switch brakes from '105 to DuraAce, for example, I didn't notice much, if any, difference.

"Trevian Bookshop" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I own one and I'm afraid they do cut some corners, specifically the
brakes.
> They are not 105 but generic knock-offs and both of mine needed repair at less than 500 miles. See
> if your LBS will upgrade your brakes. Otherwise
it
> is a fine bike.
>
> Geoff Baere
>
> Mike Jacoubowsky wrote in message ...
> >> Considering this bike for first road bike to be used for fitness riding and an ocassional 20+
> >> mile trip. I did a test ride over the weekend. Just looking for opinions on this model. This
> >> model seems to be right at my budget limit.
> >>
> >> I tested several bikes with compact geometry and they seem too short in the top tube length.
> >>
> >> I am comfortable with the shop that I would purchase from concerning the fit and
> >> service/maintenance.
> >
> >The Alpe D'Huez is a solid machine with no funny places where someone's
cut
> >corners etc. And if you're comfortable with the shop, that counts for a lot. You can keep
> >expanding your options until you're never sure what's best (becoming a professional shopper), but
> >then you lose out on some
great