Lemond Arrivee Titanium VS Cannodal R1000



jon

New Member
Jul 26, 2003
16
0
0
Okay, Okay, I have made my choice. A little drum roll please, as this is too funny, or maybe I should say weird!
Every other day I have made my journey from one shop to the other riding the Cannondale R1000 and then on to test ride the Lemond Arrivee. Yes, like many of you I am starting to feel like a "bike stalker".
Always as I go the Lemond dealer, the bike shop owner suggests that I ride the titanium Lemond, then a aluminum Trek 2300, a Lemond steel frame and "by the way, just try this Trek 5200 carbon composite bike so you can really get a feel for how the Titanium rides compared to all the other frame materials. Fine, fine....back to sneak in another ride on the Cannondale R1000 with aluminium frame at another dealer.... light, nice handling, great sprinter.... what a great bike!
Just one more time to try the Lemond Ti and ride the other bikes as a comparision....got to keep in the back of my mind how the Cannondale R1000 rides to compare again....taking mental notes.
Well, after about the umtenth time... I found myself driving by another Trek dealer, I suddenly make a U turn and into the shop I go to ride that darn Trek 5200 composite frame bike that the first shop keeps having me to ride along with all the other frames to test the ride of the Lemond TI.
Light comes on in the head, enough of this nonsense, what am I thinking as I politely thank the dealer. I jump into my car and head to my original local dealer in my neighborhood.
I enter the store and the owner just kind of shakes her head and moves in a direction away from me, as I say to her, Excuse me, Excuse me, I would like to order a new 2004 TREK 5200 in 62cm, have any idea how long it will take to arrive"?
Thanks everyone for you kind input on the Lemond Arrivee Titanium VS The Cannodnale R1000!
I will finally sleep well tonight, content that I found the perfect bike for me!
 

Scuba Steve

New Member
Jun 21, 2003
44
0
0
I wouldn't be able to sleep until it actually came in. Then I would still be waking in the middle of the night to go look at it some more. There is a passion between a man and his bike that a wife (orGF) will never understand!!!! Just don't ever attempt to explain this to them and you will be alright!! Enjoy your new ride.

Scuba Steve
 

Ralph Ray

New Member
Jun 26, 2003
73
0
0
60
Go for the LeMond. If anything you will have that extra "ZOOT" factor just knowing that your riding what the "master" rides. The placebo effect just might make a difference on a tough ride.
 

BaCardi

New Member
Jul 6, 2003
638
0
0
Originally posted by jon
Okay, Okay, I have made my choice. A little drum roll please, as this is too funny, or maybe I should say weird!
Every other day I have made my journey from one shop to the other riding the Cannondale R1000 and then on to test ride the Lemond Arrivee. Yes, like many of you I am starting to feel like a "bike stalker".
Always as I go the Lemond dealer, the bike shop owner suggests that I ride the titanium Lemond, then a aluminum Trek 2300, a Lemond steel frame and "by the way, just try this Trek 5200 carbon composite bike so you can really get a feel for how the Titanium rides compared to all the other frame materials. Fine, fine....back to sneak in another ride on the Cannondale R1000 with aluminium frame at another dealer.... light, nice handling, great sprinter.... what a great bike!
Just one more time to try the Lemond Ti and ride the other bikes as a comparision....got to keep in the back of my mind how the Cannondale R1000 rides to compare again....taking mental notes.
Well, after about the umtenth time... I found myself driving by another Trek dealer, I suddenly make a U turn and into the shop I go to ride that darn Trek 5200 composite frame bike that the first shop keeps having me to ride along with all the other frames to test the ride of the Lemond TI.
Light comes on in the head, enough of this nonsense, what am I thinking as I politely thank the dealer. I jump into my car and head to my original local dealer in my neighborhood.
I enter the store and the owner just kind of shakes her head and moves in a direction away from me, as I say to her, Excuse me, Excuse me, I would like to order a new 2004 TREK 5200 in 62cm, have any idea how long it will take to arrive"?
Thanks everyone for you kind input on the Lemond Arrivee Titanium VS The Cannodnale R1000!
I will finally sleep well tonight, content that I found the perfect bike for me!


:rolleyes:
I don't believe it. You get us to go through all this rigamorole to help you choose and point out the plusses and minuses of two bikes of which you don't even pick. Your total indecision is mindboggling. Sounds like you got tired of it all and felt sorry for all the dealers that spent forever talking to you. And you went and got the most expensive bike in the place. :rolleyes: This is the last time I say anything constructive about this.
 

Babbar

New Member
Aug 10, 2003
163
0
0
76
Originally posted by BaCardi
:rolleyes:
I don't believe it.

I say congratulations to him. He picked an excellent bike, better than the R1000 and at least as good, if not better, than the Arrivee.

Jon, congratulations on your bike. Keep is up to date on how it handles, feels, and your experiences.
 

jon

New Member
Jul 26, 2003
16
0
0
Originally posted by Babbar
I say congratulations to him. He picked an excellent bike, better than the R1000 and at least as good, if not better, than the Arrivee.

Jon, congratulations on your bike. Keep is up to date on how it handles, feels, and your experiences.

Thanks Babbar, your comments are greatly appreciated.
I will keep you up to date on the Tek 5200.

:)
 

Babbar

New Member
Aug 10, 2003
163
0
0
76
Originally posted by jon
Thanks Babbar, your comments are greatly appreciated.
I will keep you up to date on the Tek 5200.:)

I know exactly what you went through. First, I wanted a Cannondale R800, then a Lemond Alpe D'Huez or a Trek 2000. Then a Lemond Buenos Aires or Trek 2200. Then a Lemond Zurich.....then a Cannondale R1000.................

It gets so darned confusing and frustrating. I bet when you decided to order the Trek you felt 100% better and when it arrives and you first ride it, you will probably beel 10000% better!

I can't wait for that feeling!
 

hillclimber

New Member
Aug 3, 2003
21
0
0
Originally posted by Babbar
I know exactly what you went through. First, I wanted a Cannondale R800, then a Lemond Alpe D'Huez or a Trek 2000. Then a Lemond Buenos Aires or Trek 2200. Then a Lemond Zurich.....then a Cannondale R1000.................

It gets so darned confusing and frustrating. I bet when you decided to order the Trek you felt 100% better and when it arrives and you first ride it, you will probably beel 10000% better!

I can't wait for that feeling!
Babar, Which one dod you get ?:cool:
 

Babbar

New Member
Aug 10, 2003
163
0
0
76
Originally posted by hillclimber
Babar, Which one dod you get ?:cool:

None, yet. My wife has allotted $2000 for my birthday next year. The way it stands now, the R1000 is at the top of my list, in a near dead heat with the Lemond Zurich, with the Trek 2300 not far behind.

Starting next March, armed with all the information I have gathered, I will start test riding.

:confused:
 

jmv

New Member
Aug 11, 2003
5
0
0
61
Originally posted by BaCardi
I'm opinionated yes, but check the geometry on the Lemond and the Canondale. I'm in agreement with Greg's general ideas about geometry, slacker seat tube angles + longer top tubes. Greg was known for pioneering a more relaxed aero position in the pro peleton. He had his saddle set with his knee positioned even BEHIND the peddle spindle. That's what I call laid back! This allows better leverage climbing while in the saddle. The longer top tube stretches out the upper body for better breathing and weight distribution. His ideas were tested by then French coach and physiologist Cyrille Guimard in the 80s. Hinault adopted these ideas later in his career and it really revolutionized the way racers adjusted their bike position for better efficiency. His ideas have trickled into a lot of manufacturers bikes. Fit is the most important aspect. Material second.

On to material, I think you'll find the titanium much much more comfy due to titanium's inherent flexiness. The Canondale will be stiffer, but stiffer is not necessarily better. A good friend of mine rode a Canondale and he thought it was too stiff and rode like an ironing board. He's 6'3 and 185 lbs. When he went to a steel bike, he says it was a tremdous difference. When you buy a Canondale, you're getting an expensive sticker on a yuppie item. Ride on some chip and seal roads and the Canondale will rattle
your body raw at the end of the day while the Lemond titanium will be smooth as butter. And that's what's it all about.

Please remember folks that Ti is indeed stiffer than aluminum, but has a higher yield and UTS. It also, a higher percent elongation. This allows the frame builders to use smaller diameter tubing. Aluminum also has no endurance limit. Therefore, it will eventually fail. This is one of the many reasons the tubing must be made larger.

There is much more to this, but I think I get the point across.

By the way, my Cannondale Hybrid H300 is stiffer than you-know-what. But again, it had to be made that way.

I will go for a Merlin for next years new toy!!
 

baileyrsb

New Member
Aug 4, 2004
2
0
0
I purchased a 2003 Lemond Arrivee in April. Ultegra all around (except front drlr) I paid $1799 and absolutely love the bike. Someone else did too. It was stolen from my garage two days ago . I plan to replace it with an identicle bike if I can find one.
I use it to ride MS bike tours (between 50 and 150 miles) and sprint triathlons. I had close to 1000 miles on it when it was stolen. Never a moments problem, smooth shifts, short stops, good acceleration. You won't go wrong with this bike.
 

MeesterBond

New Member
Jul 5, 2004
20
0
0
For what it's worth, I did a very similar thing to Jon here... on paper I'd decided on a shortlist of mainly Ti frames, Merlin, Litespeed etc, with a steel alternative as well... tried a few options and left having ordered a Cannondale six13. Frankly, it felt far better to ride than the Litespeed Vortex I compared it with. Quicker, more comfortable, handled like a dream.

If people are put off Cannondale because they perceive them as 'yuppie' toys then fine. Their loss.
 

CannonChick

New Member
Jul 19, 2004
62
0
0
for what it's worth, I have been riding a r1000 for almost 5 years. I'm very happy with it. It's stiff, but it handles and climbs great. As long as you like what you spent YOUR hard earned money on, who cares what lance or greg rides? I think those guys would probably win races on huffys....lol:p
As they say... there's an ass for every seat.
enjoy your new trek.:)