Lemond as UCI president?



oldbobcat

Well-Known Member
Aug 31, 2003
3,233
194
48
70
Wouldn't that be a hell of a note?

My first impression is of Greg standing on stage greeting Tour de France stage winners alongside Bernard Hinault and all the others who should have stopped supporting Lance Armstrong long before they did. But what a signal to the sport that there's a new sheriff in town and he's taking names.

I don't see it happening. Greg's been on the outside for too long, he too often says more than he has to, and his administrative talents are a complete mystery.
 

alienator

Well-Known Member
Jun 10, 2004
12,596
310
0
oldbobcat said:
Wouldn't that be a hell of a note? My first impression is of Greg standing on stage greeting Tour de France stage winners alongside Bernard Hinault and all the others who should have stopped supporting Lance Armstrong long before they did. But what a signal to the sport that there's a new sheriff in town and he's taking names. I don't see it happening. Greg's been on the outside for too long, he too often says more than he has to, and his administrative talents are a complete mystery.  
You're right, but the reactions of a few "interesting" people in the Pro Tour would be interesting, to say the least.
 

oldbobcat

Well-Known Member
Aug 31, 2003
3,233
194
48
70
Originally Posted by alienator .


You're right, but the reactions of a few "interesting" people in the Pro Tour would be interesting, to say the least.
Fershure.
 

CAMPYBOB

Well-Known Member
Sep 12, 2005
11,945
2,086
113
"Campybob would be great. He has a very LIBERAL view of doping in cycling."

Libertarian.

Ron Paul for UCI Prez!


"Campybob or LeMond?"

Lance has never brought suit against me or crushed my business in retribution! I'm qualified, I'm willing and damnit, I've got great hair!

I would make an awesome UCI dear leader. I would rule with an iron fist inside a velvet glove. In return for your adoration and a few million U.S. Dollars per year, I would bring excitement back into professional cycling. On my first day I would legalize EPO, T and Hgh. And I would mandate all Pro Tour and Pro Continental teams put in place a hiring policy of two umbrella girls for every rider.

And I would put in place a firm testing policy. For STD's.

No more of this **** of watching Froome drag Wiggins up some stupid hill while the rest of the field wilts without proper training plans. Boring!
No more sitting around watching the Spanish Train abuse a field bereft of competition benefitting from proper medical staff.

I would move the tour de France, the Giro di Italia and the Vuelta a Espana to the United States of America. Hell, we have individual states that are bigger than them countries! And better roads! And more mountains! And we have the most professionized drug programs in the world. Right here!)

Of course, the chicken yellow and nancy boy pink jerseys will be changed to red, white and blue. The golden fleece can stay the same, but that name has got to go.

I will bring back bullies, bullying and coercion. Hell, speaking of jerseys...I promise to institute a jersey for "The Most Flagrant Act of Bullying"! Or..."The Most Agressive Rider" is what we could call it. Already done?...dang. Well, that was just a number plate and certainly had nothing to do with real aggression. I'll work on it! I promise!

Lastly, If elected, I promise to personally invite Greg to hunt deer with me on my farm. He does act look too much like a turkey to safely bring him in for our two seasonal hunts.
 

CAMPYBOB

Well-Known Member
Sep 12, 2005
11,945
2,086
113
"Campybob or LeMond?"

While we're often mistaken for each other, I'm the skinny, handsome, obnoxious one...not the fat, dorky, greying obnoxious one.

And finally, I can take him in a hilly roadrace despite all the claims about his VO2 Max.!


"...and his administrative talents are a complete mystery."

Well...there is that thing about the bike brand he managed to kill off. (Blame Bush Lance!) OTOH, he has managed to find a way to build the world's most expensive Air-Dyne (cassette not included).

Change cycling now! A vote for me is a vote for me!
 

CAMPYBOB

Well-Known Member
Sep 12, 2005
11,945
2,086
113
I say...I say, boy! Better me running the UCI than that whining fat fred, LeMond. Anyone that thinks LeMond is a good choice for managing a billion dollar operation that has been fueled by drugs since the days of Henri Desgrange has been hornswoggled. Bamboozled even.

I'm offering the chance of real honesty in cycling for the first time in over a century of charades, delusion and deceit. And deception! We can't forget deception!

I will tear up any agreements with the IOC, WADA, USADA and the AFLD on my first day in office. It's time for a fresh start for cycling! And I'm just the man that can lead cycling out of the wilderness and into the light!

I will appoint Lance Armstrong, Jan Ulrich, Michael Rasmussen, Riccardo Ricco, Alejandro Valverde, David Millar to a multi-national rider panel to study the safe and effective application of performance enhancing supplements in an effort to better and more logically promote and maintain our sport in an ethical manner that is fair and just for everyone. This commission of truth in cycling will be overseen by the most honest journalist of our time, Phil Liggett, the world's foremost doctor of sports medicine, Michele Ferrari and one of cycling's greatest team managers of all time, Johan Bruyneel. Together, my friends, I am confident we can find the new, clear path for cycling as we go forward!

A vote for me is a vote for truth and reality!

Any of this gettin' thru to ya, son?
 

limerickman

Well-Known Member
Jan 5, 2004
16,130
220
63
I think it would be a great move to appoint LeMond.

McQuaid intends to run again. He has to win the nomination of the Irish Cycling Federation first in order to run.
Some of us are working at federation level to prevent his being nominated. A lot of federation members oppose his nomination but he has his supporters too unfortunately.
 

alienator

Well-Known Member
Jun 10, 2004
12,596
310
0
limerickman said:
I think it would be a great move to appoint LeMond. McQuaid intends to run again. He has to win the nomination of the Irish Cycling Federation first in order to run. Some of us are working at federation level to prevent his being nominated. A lot of federation members oppose his nomination but he has his supporters too unfortunately.
I would think everyone in cycling would see that to get a fresh start, cycling needs new faces at the UCI. It'll be a very sad day if McQuaid gets a second term.
 

slovakguy

Well-Known Member
Mar 17, 2006
1,898
66
0
Originally Posted by limerickman .

I think it would be a great move to appoint LeMond.

McQuaid intends to run again. He has to win the nomination of the Irish Cycling Federation first in order to run.
Some of us are working at federation level to prevent his being nominated. A lot of federation members oppose his nomination but he has his supporters too unfortunately.
as much as i would like to see lemond take over until a more suitable administrator can be found, i find myself in agreement with matt seaton from the guardian. he made a good, if short, endorsement for patrice clerc. clerc has the administrator's cred from his aso/tdf days, a passion for cycling, and a loss of job because he stood for clean cycling in the face of armstrong's comeback.
 

oldbobcat

Well-Known Member
Aug 31, 2003
3,233
194
48
70
Originally Posted by slovakguy .

as much as i would like to see lemond take over until a more suitable administrator can be found, i find myself in agreement with matt seaton from the guardian. he made a good, if short, endorsement for patrice clerc. clerc has the administrator's cred from his aso/tdf days, a passion for cycling, and a loss of job because he stood for clean cycling in the face of armstrong's comeback.
Clerc sounds like a fine choice for the long term. The next few years for pro cycling are going to be tricky, and leadership and administrative experience will be important. It will take someone who can learn which trees need to be shaken.
 

limerickman

Well-Known Member
Jan 5, 2004
16,130
220
63
@slovak @Bob : yeah Clerc would be an excellent choice I agree.

I didn't know that Matt Seaton was writing about this!