LeMond: Lance threatened me

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by sploush, Jun 25, 2006.

1. sploush

sploush New Member

In an interview with French Sports daily L'Equipe, Greg LeMond has claimed Lance Armstrong threatened him after criticising his involvement with a doctor linked with a drugs scandal.

"he [Armstrong] threatened my wife, my business, my life.""All that I can say, is that the last four or five years haven't been very pleasant for me. His biggest threat against me was that he would find ten people to testify that I took EPO. Evidently, he didn't find anyone."

Why is Lemond saying this now?

Tags:

2. ilpirata

ilpirata New Member

Not only this. Lemond has stated that doping has become so prevalent that unless a cyclists dopes, they certainly cannot be in the top 50 of the gc at the tour de france. And that the UCI bears the total responsability for the situation, not the cyclists. He in fact recommends that cycling be under the control of Dick Pound and WADA. The UCI is needless to say very upset with him, and is looking at legal avenues of response.

With regards to Armstrong, Lemond has previously stated that Armstrong revealed to him that he used PEDs.

3. rule62

rule62 New Member

I'll take Envy for $100 Alex.

4. bobke

bobke New Member

Lemond is saying this because he and wise wife were deposed in the insurance 5 million dollar dispute between Lance and the SPorts Co that owed him the 5 mill for winning the 2004 TdF.

As will be well known, the insurance co tried to deny payment based onthe rumors that Lance had used PEDsand hence had not "really"won the 2004 TdF-using primarily David Walsh's POS book.

Long story short, Lance won, the insurance co lost...
    BUT!!
    there was a secrecy agreement that no details etc no testimony would ever come out. Lance would pocket the 5 mill and the 2.5 mill in dmamages period.
    The case was settled in February. No one knew.

NOW LeMonde the newspaper and L'Equipe got hold of Andreu's testimony, violating the leaking decision, implying that Lance used drugs.

Mrs. Andreu in her deposition and testimony indicated not only that she heard Lance admit he had used basi cally evry PED known to man, but that she and Mr. and Mrs. Lemond ware in cahoots, had talked about this about 50 times, and THE LEMONDS TESTIFIED UNDER OATH THAT MRS ANDREU TOLD THEM LANCE HAD CALLED HER DESPERATE TO OBTAIN EPO AND THAT SHE HAD SEEN HIM INJECT IT.

Mrs. Andeu denied this at the trial. You can read her depositons and testimony at the Austin American Statesmen. Clearly she and the Lemonds were trying to spread rumors and bring Lance down.
    Well they have been taken off the website but here are the pdf files.

She sounds ,no offense Frankie, like a foolish bumbling idiot with not much good will toward Lanc,e she basicallystated she hates him.

5. shokhead

shokhead New Member

LeMond has a big ego and mouth.

6. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

7. wolfix

wolfix New Member

It's all about money. Lemond has business interests that are hurt because of the popularity of LA. Just last year he lost a major account because he was not well known . And he isn't. Except by hard core cyclists in America.

And considering the doping culture that was going on when he won the TDF he really should not question anyone else. The doping culture then was far bigger then it is today...

LA is real well known here in America. When riding down the streets today young kids yell "hey Lance" at most American bikers.

Last year or the year before Lemond went on a major recrerational rider called RAGBRAI which is actually really large. Cyclists knew who he was, but no one else..... This year the word is out that LA is riding it, [probably a rumour] and everyone who goes on it that would'nt know Merckx from General DeGaulle is all excited.

I have been around Lemond before he went to Europe. I then followed his career. Lemond, and he is my all time favorite cyclist, has been known to be a "blamer." I have a feeling his business operations may not be real strong at this point. I think TRek owns Lemond bikes.... And I bet soon they will go forth with a LA line.... And that may slow sales on the Lemond line.

8. discobean7

discobean7 New Member

As far as LeMond attacking LA, this is nothing new. He's had a go at LA a few times over the last 3-4 years, but nothing has come of it. For business, LeMond bikes are owned by Trek and I don't even think LeMond has any control of the company anymore. I've always been a big LeMond fan since he's the reason I started following cycling in '86. His attacks of LA have always smacked of jealousy. Again this is nothing new since he used to attack Chiapucci back in the day (used to call him Cappucino I think). As for PEDs, doesn't LeMond have THE fastest non-prologue ITT of all time. It was short (19km I think), but still he only had Scott clip-ons and a disc wheel and none of the wind tunnel testing, skinsuits, and gear of today's racers.

9. wilmar13

wilmar13 New Member

What are you talking about? Doping didn't hit the pro peloton until Lance started doing it when he was unable to wean himself from the cancer treatments, then everyone else needed it just to keep up. I am sure Lemond is squeaky clean ;) .

10. shokhead

shokhead New Member

Yep and you think its bad now,what if LA comes out with his name on a bike or better yet,they drop LeMond and stat with LA bikes. Yea baby.

11. davidbod

davidbod New Member

I wonder what the 15+ conversations between Mrs. Andreu and this Comptom guy at SCA were all about?

12. wolfix

wolfix New Member

After reading the legal papers we know either the Lemonds or Ms Andreu is really twisting the truth. And Frankie testified differently then his wife did. I would think they would have had their act together before the deposition. She sure seemed anxious to call everyone.

And I have a feeling that Ms Andreu did tell the Lemonds everything they said she did. But I am surprised that the Lemonds carried out what she said to them...... [Calling the NY paper and contacting the Oakley rep.] I would think Greg would want to distant himself from this.

I think Greg's reputation is going to take a hit after this.

13. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

You ar correct sir, the bicycle was only invented a few years previous to this by a chap named Eddie Merckx.

14. bobke

bobke New Member

Yes I wonder too, but since Lance's lawyers were the ones trying to bring this out...was she trying to extort? I mean Lance's people are to smart to try and influence a potential witness.

She comes off a half a whack job.
    Shooting death glares at a SCA executive so obvious the lawyer has to ask her.
    Carrying around scraps of paper that say "why do I hate Lance?"
    She is pretty far out there.

15. tcklyde

tcklyde New Member

Lemond, just another evil Lance hater like Frankie Andreau.

So how about reopening the Doping forum for tiresome threads like this one?

16. TrekDedicated

TrekDedicated New Member

oh snap! lol.

This is ridiculous. LeMond, we're all sorry you didn't win when the TdF was as popular as it is today. But, get ovaaaa yourself.

17. strummer_fan

strummer_fan New Member

As I understand it, LeMond and Armstrong have been feuding about whether or not Armstong's comeback could have been accomplished without illegal performance enhancing drugs since at least 2001 or so. LeMond pointed to Armstrong's pre-1996 TdF performances and those from 1999 forward.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=1841300

Trek (who makes both Armstrong's team's bikes and Lemond's bike range) used their economic ties to both of them to get them to stop fighting in public.

This is nothing new. It is simply a matter of whether you believe LeMond's criticisms or Armstrong's side of things.

18. mitosis

mitosis New Member

Armstrong has a bigger ego and a bigger mouth. ;)

Sounds like there is not much love lost between them.

19. shokhead

shokhead New Member

LA can back up his ego and yes,plenty of big mouths except LeMond speaks without a question,at least LA waits for one. BTW,does anyone know what charities LeMond does?

20. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

"He needs power (LA) - with money, or with women. He will never find happiness."

Right on Greg !