Lemond poprad os specialized sequoia elite?????

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by bakhurts, Jul 20, 2004.

  1. bakhurts

    bakhurts New Member

    Joined:
    May 18, 2004
    Guys, I am just getting back into cycling. I want to ride about 1-1.5 k per year, not race. I'll do a couple of charity rides, ride about 20-50 miles at a time 3-4 times a week for part of the year and goof off some. I tried both bikes in a parking lot, and can't decide. i will get around to trying to borrow or rent these bikes for a longer ride, but so far it is a wash. i would appreciate any information or opinions, realizing these are subjective. I tried thr regular seqoia and the sequoia elite to see if the different seatstays make a difference and over a short ride i can't tell

    i'm not young, and my bak hurts, specially when i try and go too aero. any other ideas or bikes??

    thanks
    bh

    Tags:

  2. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    bakhurts wrote:
    > Guys, I am just getting back into cycling. I want to ride about 1-1.5
    > k per year, not race. I'll do a couple of charity rides, ride about
    > 20-50 miles at a time 3-4 times a week for part of the year and goof
    > off some. I tried both bikes in a parking lot, and can't decide. i
    > will get around to trying to borrow or rent these bikes for a longer
    > ride, but so far it is a wash. i would appreciate any information or
    > opinions, realizing these are subjective. I tried thr regular seqoia
    > and the sequoia elite to see if the different seatstays make a
    > difference and over a short ride i can't tell

    If neither bike "feels" better to you, then buy the one with better
    components or nicer paint job or cheaper price or (insert various subjective
    judgements here).

    > i'm not young, and my bak hurts, specially when i try and go too aero.
    > any other ideas or bikes??

    Visit another shop or two and try some more brands/models.

    Bill "the right one will appear" S.

  3. RWM

    RWM Guest

    "bakhurts" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Guys, I am just getting back into cycling. I want to ride about 1-1.5 k
    > per year, not race. I'll do a couple of charity rides, ride about 20-50
    > miles at a time 3-4 times a week for part of the year and goof off some.
    > I tried both bikes in a parking lot, and can't decide. i will get around
    > to trying to borrow or rent these bikes for a longer ride, but so far it
    > is a wash. i would appreciate any information or opinions, realizing
    > these are subjective. I tried thr regular seqoia and the sequoia elite
    > to see if the different seatstays make a difference and over a short
    > ride i can't tell
    >
    > i'm not young, and my bak hurts, specially when i try and go too aero.
    > any other ideas or bikes??

    My advice is to do some more "real" test rides before you decide. If it
    doesn't feel great on a short ride then you will probably be unhappy
    long-term.

    If you have back problems then you might want to checkout the geometry of
    the specific models that you are interested in. The Lemond bikes have a
    longer top tube that most brands. Usually people with bad backs want a
    shorter reach and a long top tube is the last thing that they want.

  4. bakhurts

    bakhurts New Member

    Joined:
    May 18, 2004
    My advice is to do some more "real" test rides before you decide. If it
    doesn't feel great on a short ride then you will probably be unhappy
    long-term.

    If you have back problems then you might want to checkout the geometry of
    the specific models that you are interested in. The Lemond bikes have a
    longer top tube that most brands. Usually people with bad backs want a
    shorter reach and a long top tube is the last thing that they want.[/QUOTE]

    Thanks fo rthe info. Any ideas on a tyep of specific bike? I think i want something with relaxed angles, a fairly upright sitting position and slightly large tires. I know i just described the mtb i currently ride, but i would really like to try a road like bike again.

    bh

  5. RWM

    RWM Guest

    "bakhurts" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > My advice is to do some more "real" test rides before you decide. If
    > it
    > doesn't feel great on a short ride then you will probably be unhappy
    > long-term.
    >
    > If you have back problems then you might want to checkout the geometry
    > of
    > the specific models that you are interested in. The Lemond bikes have
    > longer top tube that most brands. Usually people with bad backs want
    > shorter reach and a long top tube is the last thing that they want.
    >

    > Thanks fo rthe info. Any ideas on a tyep of specific bike? I think i
    > want something with relaxed angles, a fairly upright sitting position and
    > slightly large tires. I know i just described the mtb i currently ride,
    > but i would really like to try a road like bike again.

    You should be fine with a road bike that fits you. I had a bad spine injury
    and ride a road bike about half the time. I spent years on a walker,
    followed by a cane, and am fused from ass to tea kettle, but still ride a
    lot.

    You didn't say where you lived so it is hard for people to recommend a bike
    shop but find a good shop and explain your situation and goals for biking.
    The shop should be able to find a bike to fit. I think that the biggest
    issues will be a top tube that fits along with a raise stem. I ride with a
    Salsa 40 degree stem so that my bars are equal with my seat. The rise in
    the stem also brings the bars closer to you. Good luck!