Lemond Ripoff?

Picky

Guest
Hi,

A colleague at work is trying to sell me a "Lemond Gan" bike, he says it is about 10 years old and
wants £120 for it.

I am starting triathlon and want a cheap bike to start on, will this be ok? Is he ripping me off?

Cheers,

Picky

"Picky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> A colleague at work is trying to sell me a "Lemond Gan" bike, he says it is about 10 years old and
> wants £120 for it.
>
> I am starting triathlon and want a cheap bike to start on, will this be ok? Is he ripping me off?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Picky

Just so I'm clear on this: you'd trust a free opinion offered on a newsgroup from someone you don't
know over the opinion of a colleague at work, and use it as evidence that he's ripping you off?

if it is in decent shape and fits, I am not familiar with the model. or the age. But if it has
downtube shifters, and is 6-7 speed, 120 lbs might be a little steep. still not bad for a road bike.

david

"Picky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> A colleague at work is trying to sell me a "Lemond Gan" bike, he
says
> it is about 10 years old and wants £120 for it.
>
> I am starting triathlon and want a cheap bike to start on, will this be ok? Is he ripping me off?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Picky

> Hi,
>
> A colleague at work is trying to sell me a "Lemond Gan" bike, he says it is about 10 years old and
> wants £120 for it.
>
> I am starting triathlon and want a cheap bike to start on, will this be ok? Is he ripping me off?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Picky

When your "starting" triathlon you better start with cheap stuff indeed. £120 for a bike is cheap so
why not. It doesn't matter how old the bike is. I even ride the bike my father had when he raced in
the junior-category about 30 years ago. The thing still works. That's enough. Ofcourse i feel like
buying a new modern bike but you won't ride a km/h faster with a new one.

There's no way to tell if you're being ripped off, or not, from what you've told us.

If the bike offered has a funky blue, red, yellow, orange paint job, and decals stating that the
tubeset is "GLX", what you're looking at is a frameset that in it's day, was a very nice, very light
frameset. I had one, loved it.

If you're being offered a Lemond GAN frame that's purple, it's probably the slightly less nice(but
still perfectly nice)frame.

Hope this helps.

[email protected] (Picky) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi,
>
> A colleague at work is trying to sell me a "Lemond Gan" bike, he says it is about 10 years old and
> wants £120 for it.
>
> I am starting triathlon and want a cheap bike to start on, will this be ok? Is he ripping me off?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Picky

[email protected] (Picky) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi,
>
> A colleague at work is trying to sell me a "Lemond Gan" bike, he says it is about 10 years old and
> wants £120 for it.
>
> I am starting triathlon and want a cheap bike to start on, will this be ok? Is he ripping me off?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Picky

Depends on what condition it's in. It is cheap, but if it needs £200 work, like new bottom bracket,
headset, wheels? tires? it may not be so good cheap.

And if it doesn't fit you it's no bargain at any price.

That sounds like one of the original LeMond bikes from before he sold out to Trek. They were pretty
good bikes but perhaps the geometry was a little slack for your tastes. Try riding it before buying.

"Picky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> A colleague at work is trying to sell me a "Lemond Gan" bike, he
says
> it is about 10 years old and wants £120 for it.
>
> I am starting triathlon and want a cheap bike to start on, will this be ok? Is he ripping me off?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Picky

"> That sounds like one of the original LeMond bikes from before he sold
> out to Trek. They were pretty good bikes but perhaps the geometry was a little slack for your
> tastes. Try riding it before buying.

That's OK, just get a Control Tech seatpost and flip it around the other way to get instant "aero"
positioning!

Mike

If it's the Lemond GAN team bike with the GLX tubing from Excel it's a good deal, provided it's
in decent shape. If you don't want to buy it, tell your friend to email me a pic of it. What
size is it?

Ernie

"Etong41561" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> If it's the Lemond GAN team bike with the GLX tubing from Excel it's
a good
> deal, provided it's in decent shape. If you don't want to buy it,
tell your
> friend to email me a pic of it. What size is it?

Excel was extremely light tubes as I recall. I don't know if they used stiffer tubes on the larger
sizes. I remember an MTB made by one of the Santa Cruz local Gurus that was made out of Excel tubes
and it would pop like a beer can as you flexed the seat tube with your fingers. Scary. But it never
broke and it didn't seem too flexible for an MTB.

The gan lemond was a very good steel bike, as most lemonds. and it would make a very fine racing
bike even today, provided that it fits you.

Try to get a sense of how to fit a bike and then ride it for a few hours. If it is in good
condition, get it.Before actually buying it, I would take it to a bike shop and ask them what kind
of repairs it would need, and how much they would charge for a tune up. Also, if the shop does bike
fitting I would pay some money to determine what size of bike would fit you properly.

Even if you don't get this bike, you will at least know how to get a well fitted bike for you
body type.

Also, if it needs a lot of money in tune up or repairs, you can negotiate the price with the guy
trying to sell you the bike.

Andres

Duuurrrrrr

Yes you fool because he will make 120 pound from the deal while the good people of NNTP will gain
nothing by offering their impartial advice.

Are you a "troll"??

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Picky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi,
> >
> > A colleague at work is trying to sell me a "Lemond Gan" bike, he says it is about 10 years old
> > and wants £120 for it.
> >
> > I am starting triathlon and want a cheap bike to start on, will this be ok? Is he ripping
> > me off?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Picky
>
> Just so I'm clear on this: you'd trust a free opinion offered on a newsgroup from someone you
> don't know over the opinion of a colleague at work, and use it as evidence that he's ripping
> you off?

Hi,

Thanks all for the advice.

I am taking it for a spin on Thursday.

I think its blue.

I forgot to say, it hasnt got any wheels.

(Oh and before anybody clever wonders how I will test ride it I am borrowing some wheels!)

news:<[email protected]>...