Lemond Ripoff?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Picky, Jun 20, 2003.

  1. Picky

    Picky Guest

    Hi,

    A colleague at work is trying to sell me a "Lemond Gan" bike, he says it is about 10 years old and
    wants £120 for it.

    I am starting triathlon and want a cheap bike to start on, will this be ok? Is he ripping me off?

    Cheers,

    Picky

    Tags:

  2. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "Picky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > A colleague at work is trying to sell me a "Lemond Gan" bike, he says it is about 10 years old and
    > wants £120 for it.
    >
    > I am starting triathlon and want a cheap bike to start on, will this be ok? Is he ripping me off?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Picky

    Just so I'm clear on this: you'd trust a free opinion offered on a newsgroup from someone you don't
    know over the opinion of a colleague at work, and use it as evidence that he's ripping you off?

  3. David

    David Guest

    if it is in decent shape and fits, I am not familiar with the model. or the age. But if it has
    downtube shifters, and is 6-7 speed, 120 lbs might be a little steep. still not bad for a road bike.

    david

    "Picky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > A colleague at work is trying to sell me a "Lemond Gan" bike, he
    says
    > it is about 10 years old and wants £120 for it.
    >
    > I am starting triathlon and want a cheap bike to start on, will this be ok? Is he ripping me off?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Picky

  4. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    > Hi,
    >
    > A colleague at work is trying to sell me a "Lemond Gan" bike, he says it is about 10 years old and
    > wants £120 for it.
    >
    > I am starting triathlon and want a cheap bike to start on, will this be ok? Is he ripping me off?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Picky

    When your "starting" triathlon you better start with cheap stuff indeed. £120 for a bike is cheap so
    why not. It doesn't matter how old the bike is. I even ride the bike my father had when he raced in
    the junior-category about 30 years ago. The thing still works. That's enough. Ofcourse i feel like
    buying a new modern bike but you won't ride a km/h faster with a new one.

  5. There's no way to tell if you're being ripped off, or not, from what you've told us.

    If the bike offered has a funky blue, red, yellow, orange paint job, and decals stating that the
    tubeset is "GLX", what you're looking at is a frameset that in it's day, was a very nice, very light
    frameset. I had one, loved it.

    If you're being offered a Lemond GAN frame that's purple, it's probably the slightly less nice(but
    still perfectly nice)frame.

    Hope this helps.

    [email protected] (Picky) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > A colleague at work is trying to sell me a "Lemond Gan" bike, he says it is about 10 years old and
    > wants £120 for it.
    >
    > I am starting triathlon and want a cheap bike to start on, will this be ok? Is he ripping me off?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Picky

  6. Max Watt

    Max Watt Guest

    [email protected] (Picky) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > A colleague at work is trying to sell me a "Lemond Gan" bike, he says it is about 10 years old and
    > wants £120 for it.
    >
    > I am starting triathlon and want a cheap bike to start on, will this be ok? Is he ripping me off?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Picky

    Depends on what condition it's in. It is cheap, but if it needs £200 work, like new bottom bracket,
    headset, wheels? tires? it may not be so good cheap.

    And if it doesn't fit you it's no bargain at any price.

  7. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    That sounds like one of the original LeMond bikes from before he sold out to Trek. They were pretty
    good bikes but perhaps the geometry was a little slack for your tastes. Try riding it before buying.

    "Picky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:e3[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > A colleague at work is trying to sell me a "Lemond Gan" bike, he
    says
    > it is about 10 years old and wants £120 for it.
    >
    > I am starting triathlon and want a cheap bike to start on, will this be ok? Is he ripping me off?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Picky

  8. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "> That sounds like one of the original LeMond bikes from before he sold
    > out to Trek. They were pretty good bikes but perhaps the geometry was a little slack for your
    > tastes. Try riding it before buying.

    That's OK, just get a Control Tech seatpost and flip it around the other way to get instant "aero"
    positioning!

    Mike

  9. Etong41561

    Etong41561 Guest

    If it's the Lemond GAN team bike with the GLX tubing from Excel it's a good deal, provided it's
    in decent shape. If you don't want to buy it, tell your friend to email me a pic of it. What
    size is it?

    Ernie

  10. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Etong41561" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > If it's the Lemond GAN team bike with the GLX tubing from Excel it's
    a good
    > deal, provided it's in decent shape. If you don't want to buy it,
    tell your
    > friend to email me a pic of it. What size is it?

    Excel was extremely light tubes as I recall. I don't know if they used stiffer tubes on the larger
    sizes. I remember an MTB made by one of the Santa Cruz local Gurus that was made out of Excel tubes
    and it would pop like a beer can as you flexed the seat tube with your fingers. Scary. But it never
    broke and it didn't seem too flexible for an MTB.

  11. Andresmuro

    Andresmuro Guest

    The gan lemond was a very good steel bike, as most lemonds. and it would make a very fine racing
    bike even today, provided that it fits you.

    Try to get a sense of how to fit a bike and then ride it for a few hours. If it is in good
    condition, get it.Before actually buying it, I would take it to a bike shop and ask them what kind
    of repairs it would need, and how much they would charge for a tune up. Also, if the shop does bike
    fitting I would pay some money to determine what size of bike would fit you properly.

    Even if you don't get this bike, you will at least know how to get a well fitted bike for you
    body type.

    Also, if it needs a lot of money in tune up or repairs, you can negotiate the price with the guy
    trying to sell you the bike.

    Andres

  12. Picky

    Picky Guest

    Duuurrrrrr

    Yes you fool because he will make 120 pound from the deal while the good people of NNTP will gain
    nothing by offering their impartial advice.

    Are you a "troll"??

    "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Picky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > A colleague at work is trying to sell me a "Lemond Gan" bike, he says it is about 10 years old
    > > and wants £120 for it.
    > >
    > > I am starting triathlon and want a cheap bike to start on, will this be ok? Is he ripping
    > > me off?
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > >
    > > Picky
    >
    > Just so I'm clear on this: you'd trust a free opinion offered on a newsgroup from someone you
    > don't know over the opinion of a colleague at work, and use it as evidence that he's ripping
    > you off?

  13. Picky

    Picky Guest

    Hi,

    Thanks all for the advice.

    I am taking it for a spin on Thursday.

    I think its blue.

    I forgot to say, it hasnt got any wheels.

    (Oh and before anybody clever wonders how I will test ride it I am borrowing some wheels!)

    news:<[email protected]>...