Lemond vs. Trek

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by gmilo2, Feb 25, 2004.

1. gmilo2

gmilo2 New Member

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Lemond Zurich vs. Buenos Aires? It seems that the Zurich has nicer components overall, so why is the Buenos Aires so much more? Is it really worth the extra 500-600?

Also, in comparing to the Trek Bikes, it seems I'd have to spend around $2000 in say a 5000 or 2300 to get the same.

What am I missing?

I'm riding an old Raleigh Technium and can hold my own for awhile at 18-19 mph avg, but want to get something lighter that will let me keep up with other riders.

Tags:

2. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

The Zurich should be more.You don't get better of everything for less. Unless you are riding alot of big hills, a few pounds will make no difference.Train harder.

3. fushman

fushman New Member

before they went with the carbon steel mix, the zurich was definately the best deal in the lemond line. but i dunno if thats true anymore since it looks like youre getting the same frame. i think i might go with the buenos aires and just upgrade the wheels, since the zurich comes with bontrager race wheels now, instead of the race lites it was speced with before. you could use the money you save on the buenos aires to get some race x lites, or mavic ks or campy euros wheels or whatever, although that will set you back a bit more.

4. Allen H

Allen H New Member

You must be talking about different year models for the Zurich to be less than the Buenos Aires.

In the 2004s, the Zurich is ~$300 more than the BA, IIRC. The only difference is full Ultegra instead of 105 in the brakes, BB, and front derailleur.

I didn't think those spec differences were critical for the price difference, and my LBS gave me a discount on the Buenos Aires even though the '04 model was brand new, maybe because my size was in stock. I still like the fit and ride so well, I'm a very happy Buenos Aires rider.

5. shokhead1

shokhead1 New Member

04 Zurich,$2297. Just got back from lbs

6. fushman

fushman New Member

ya good point, i missed that in the original post. i wonder if they meant to say something else tho.

anyways, the wheels are also different on the bikes but theres only a 50 dollar diff between the models -race and selects. also you get a better and bar and stem, and saddle on the zurich, and like you said a full ultegra group vs a 105 ultegra mix