Lendrick Hill

Bernie Hughes

Guest
I braved the snow, wind & mist to make the short climb up Lendrick Hill in the Ochils this morning.
Visibility so poor I could hardly see the trig point from the summit 30 yards away. I had intended
to go on to Innerdouny, but didn't fancy scrambling about directionless in the South Queich ravine,
so chucked it & came home. Some areas sodden with rain, others a few inches in snow.

--

Bernie Get back on the wagon to reply..

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 18:22:43 -0000, "Bernie Hughes"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I braved the snow, wind & mist to make the short climb up Lendrick Hill in the Ochils this morning.
>Visibility so poor I could hardly see the trig point from the summit 30 yards away. I had intended
>to go on to Innerdouny, but didn't fancy scrambling about directionless in the South Queich ravine,
>so chucked it & came home. Some areas sodden with rain, others a few inches in snow.

Shame, as the view is a very fine one. I did Innerdouney on a day like that though.. Quite a grope
through deep soddin heather. Summit is not wooded BTW.

On saturday I was up th Balquidder Creag Mhor. Cold enough to be dry, ie the snow was not
wetting. No views!

As for Greatmoor Hill yesterday, no more to be said, save Yuch!

Richard Webb

"RJ Webb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I did Innerdouney on a day like that though.. Quite a grope through deep soddin heather. Summit is
> not wooded BTW.

I'd gathered that from Sub3000. From which direction did you approach Innerdouney? The car park
at NO016082?

> On saturday I was up th Balquidder Creag Mhor. Cold enough to be dry, ie the snow was not wetting.
> No views!

I've stood on the col between this & Beinn Stacath/CnB and peered up at it through the mist.
Fortunately my companion at the time refused to attempt it, which saved me having to make the
decision...
--

Bernie Get back on the wagon to reply..

> I've stood on the col between this & Beinn Stacath/CnB and peered up at it through the mist.
> Fortunately my companion at the time refused to attempt it, which saved me having to make the
> decision...

Best way of doing it.. Saves tussles with forestry! No way was I going to continue to any of the
Beinn Bhreac tops on Saturday - will be happy with the bivvy I once had on Ceann Baintaighearna.

Creag Mhor will not be the highlight of your hillbashing life, but was an ideal adversary for
last Saturday.

Richard Webb

"> I'd gathered that from Sub3000. From which direction did you approach
> Innerdouney? The car park at NO016082?

The forest road at NO012070 followed it round, a long way until a heathry large clear area
at NO036082.

There is a field below the summit to the Southwest, but how well defended it is by Sitka I dont
know... It was a very foul day indeed, unlike the glorious Lendrick-Cleuch day.

The OS maps are a shower here, and IIRC Harvey's dont extend east of the Dunning Road.

Richard Webb

"Richard Webb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The forest road at NO012070 followed it round, a long way until a heathry large clear area at
> NO036082.

Thanks for the tip.

> There is a field below the summit to the Southwest, but how well defended it is by Sitka I
> dont know...

I'm sure I read somewhere that the ridge can be followed from Mellock Hill over Black Law to the top
of Innerdouney without too much trouble.

Was the Greatmoor you mentioned the one next to Cauldcleuch Head?
--

Bernie Get back on the wagon to reply..

Bernie Hughes wrote
> Richard Webb wrote
>
> > The forest road at NO012070 followed it round, a long way until a heathry large clear area at
> > NO036082.
>
> Thanks for the tip.

Ran that way a few years back after a big dump of snow then the usual big thaw. The forest track had
big patches of ice and it was very churned up around 027078 by tree harvesting machinery and
lorries. Follow the track right round the back of the hill to where it goes through a gate and
starts to descend then turn right and take a heathery/tussocky break to the summit.

> > There is a field below the summit to the Southwest, but how well defended it is by Sitka I dont
> > know...
>
> I'm sure I read somewhere that the ridge can be followed from Mellock Hill over Black Law to the
> top of Innerdouney without too much trouble.

Ran back that way without much hindrance but ISTR we did not go as far as Mellock Hill but went down
Third Hill to the road near Littlerig - tussock and old thistle stalks were the only hazard.

Graham

>Was the Greatmoor you mentioned the one next to Cauldcleuch Head?

There are two in those parts... Mine was the one to the east, above Sundhope

Richard Webb

"Graham Benny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > I'm sure I read somewhere that the ridge can be followed from Mellock
Hill
> > over Black Law to the top of Innerdouney without too much trouble.
> >
> Ran back that way without much hindrance but ISTR we did not go as far as Mellock Hill but went
> down Third Hill to the road near Littlerig - tussock and old thistle stalks were the only hazard.

Ideal, thanks.

--

Bernie Get back on the wagon to reply..

"RJ Webb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> >Was the Greatmoor you mentioned the one next to Cauldcleuch Head?
>
> There are two in those parts... Mine was the one to the east, above Sundhope

That was the one I meant. I've got it pencilled in to visit with Cauldcleuch Head, probably
anticlockwise from Priesthaugh. Eventually.
--

[email protected] (Richard Webb) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> The forest road at NO012070 followed it round, a long way until a heathry large clear area at
> NO036082.
>
> There is a field below the summit to the Southwest, but how well defended it is by Sitka I dont
> know... It was a very foul day indeed, unlike the glorious Lendrick-Cleuch day.

I went up Innerdouney yesterday morning. I got to the top bang on 9am in absolutely glorious
sunshine. Rather than retrace my steps down the forest road, I dived into a fire-break, and had the
inevitable dispute with the Sitka, but contrary to all expectation I managed to extract myself onto
the road below in a relatively short space of time. Excellent views of Steele's Knowe, the main bulk
of the Ochils with some snow patches still visible on Ben Cleuch, and the Highland line in one
direction, with the Lomonds etc in the other. There were signs of recent felling of a large area of
the trees, so hopefully it will open up a bit further soon.

Bernie