Length of BB

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by gjt70, Mar 30, 2006.

  1. gjt70

    gjt70 Guest

    Dear All,

    I have recently purchased a frame from Ribble (their half price audax
    frame). However, I have no idea what length of bottom bracket I
    require. I have emailed ribble but no response. I was therefore
    wondering if someone might be able to help. (This has become more
    critical since the freewheel on my commuter broke this morning: Only a
    three mile walk home!).

    I am intending to fit a shimano 105 triple chainset to the bike. I
    realise that it needs to be octalink and I am sure that it will be a
    british thread (therefore 68). Would I also be correct in assuming a
    118 length?

    Thanks for the help,

    Gordon

    Tags:

  2. M-gineering

    M-gineering Guest

    gjt70 wrote:
    > Dear All,
    >
    > I have recently purchased a frame from Ribble (their half price audax
    > frame). However, I have no idea what length of bottom bracket I
    > require. I have emailed ribble but no response. I was therefore
    > wondering if someone might be able to help. (This has become more
    > critical since the freewheel on my commuter broke this morning: Only a
    > three mile walk home!).
    >
    > I am intending to fit a shimano 105 triple chainset to the bike. I
    > realise that it needs to be octalink and I am sure that it will be a
    > british thread (therefore 68). Would I also be correct in assuming a
    > 118 length?

    yes

    --
    ---
    Marten Gerritsen

    INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
    www.m-gineering.nl

  3. gjt70 wrote:

    > I am intending to fit a shimano 105 triple chainset to the bike. I
    > realise that it needs to be octalink and I am sure that it will be a
    > british thread (therefore 68). Would I also be correct in assuming a
    > 118 length?

    A 68mm/English thread BB shell is the norm for *most* framesets sold in
    the UK these days, even many of those made in Italy. A quick web search
    suggests a 118.5mm (so effectively your 118 was right) BB spindle will
    suit. Hope this helps.

    David Belcher

  4. Jon_H

    Jon_H Guest

    "David E. Belcher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > gjt70 wrote:
    >
    > > I am intending to fit a shimano 105 triple chainset to the bike. I
    > > realise that it needs to be octalink and I am sure that it will be a
    > > british thread (therefore 68). Would I also be correct in assuming a
    > > 118 length?
    > >

    > A 68mm/English thread BB shell is the norm for *most* framesets sold in
    > the UK these days, even many of those made in Italy. A quick web search
    > suggests a 118.5mm (so effectively your 118 was right) BB spindle will
    > suit. Hope this helps.
    >
    > David Belcher

    here's something that may be of use to you and others thinking the same
    thing.

    http://sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html#105

    cheers
    Jon_H

  5. Jon_H wrote:

    > "David E. Belcher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > gjt70 wrote:
    > >
    > > > I am intending to fit a shimano 105 triple chainset to the bike. I
    > > > realise that it needs to be octalink and I am sure that it will be a
    > > > british thread (therefore 68). Would I also be correct in assuming a
    > > > 118 length?
    > > >

    > > A 68mm/English thread BB shell is the norm for *most* framesets sold in
    > > the UK these days, even many of those made in Italy. A quick web search
    > > suggests a 118.5mm (so effectively your 118 was right) BB spindle will
    > > suit. Hope this helps.
    > >
    > > David Belcher
    > >

    > here's something that may be of use to you and others thinking the same
    > thing.
    >
    > http://sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html#105

    Thanks for that - didn't realise (but guess I should've twigged) that
    spline-fitting BBs have their own set of length standards distinct from
    square-taper ones.

    David Belcher