Leonardo Bertagnolli - Cardiac Arrhythmia - UCI Investigation

Carmine Clamenza

Guest
See the cyclingnews.com excerpt below. Leonardo Bertagnolli started his pro
career just 6 years ago and recently recovered from cardiac arrhythmia. Is
the UCI wondering if his cardiac arrhythmia is related to doping? Doesn't
the UCI believe that EPO renders the blood dense and causes serious vascular
problems like cardiac arrhythmia? Is the UCI going to open an investigation
into the true cause of Leonardo's victory? I will not be surprised if they
do.

-----------------------------------

"Leonardo Bertagnolli has marked a splendid return to his best by winning
the 27th edition of the Clásica San Sebastián today in Spain. The 29
year-old Italian of Team Liquigas escaped at 11 kilometres remaining of the
225-kilometre race with Juan Manuel Gárate (Quick.Step Innergetic) to then
overpower the Spaniard in a head to head sprint on the hot finishing
straight along the Bay of Biscay. A small chase headed by Alejandro Valverde
(Caisse d'Epargne) and Alessandro Ballan (Lampre-Fondital) finished around a
half-minute back.

The sixth-year professional from Trento had to stop for a month this spring
for what doctors diagnosed as cardiac arrhythmia but he was able to build
back to top-form and mark his first win after 17 months."

Source:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2007/aug07/sansebastian07/?id=results

On Aug 4, 1:05 pm, "Carmine Clamenza" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> See the cyclingnews.com excerpt below. Leonardo Bertagnolli started his pro
> career just 6 years ago and recently recovered from cardiac arrhythmia. Is
> the UCI wondering if his cardiac arrhythmia is related to doping? Doesn't
> the UCI believe that EPO renders the blood dense and causes serious vascular
> problems like cardiac arrhythmia? Is the UCI going to open an investigation
> into the true cause of Leonardo's victory? I will not be surprised if they
> do.
>
> -----------------------------------
>
> "Leonardo Bertagnolli has marked a splendid return to his best by winning
> the 27th edition of the Clásica San Sebastián today in Spain. The 29
> year-old Italian of Team Liquigas escaped at 11 kilometres remaining of the
> 225-kilometre race with Juan Manuel Gárate (Quick.Step Innergetic) to then
> overpower the Spaniard in a head to head sprint on the hot finishing
> straight along the Bay of Biscay. A small chase headed by Alejandro Valverde
> (Caisse d'Epargne) and Alessandro Ballan (Lampre-Fondital) finished around a
> half-minute back.
>
> The sixth-year professional from Trento had to stop for a month this spring
> for what doctors diagnosed as cardiac arrhythmia but he was able to build
> back to top-form and mark his first win after 17 months."
>
> Source:http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2007/aug07/sansebastian07/?id=results

Cardiac arrythmia is not a vascular problem. It's a cardiac problem,
and it may not be a problem at all. Lot's of people have various
forms of arrythmia with no ill effect at all, and it's not caused by
doping.

Darbepoetin alfa (rINN) (IPA: [d??(?)b?'p??t?n]) is a synthetic form of
erythropoietin. It stimulates erythropoiesis (increases red blood cell
levels) and is used to treat anemia, commonly associated with chronic renal
failure and cancer chemotherapy. Darbepoetin is marketed by Amgen under the
trade name Aranesp.

Like EPO its use increases the risk of cardiovascular problems, including
cardiac arrest, seizures, A-R-R-H-Y-T-H-M-I-A or strokes, hypertension and
hypertensive encephalopathy, congestive heart failure, vascular thrombosis
or ischemia, myocardial infarction and edema.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darbepoetin_alfa

---------------------------------------

"Carmine Clamenza" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> See the cyclingnews.com excerpt below. Leonardo Bertagnolli started his
> pro career just 6 years ago and recently recovered from cardiac
> arrhythmia. Is the UCI wondering if his cardiac arrhythmia is related to
> doping? Doesn't the UCI believe that EPO renders the blood dense and
> causes serious vascular problems like cardiac arrhythmia? Is the UCI
> going to open an investigation into the true cause of Leonardo's victory?
> I will not be surprised if they do.
>
> -----------------------------------
>
> "Leonardo Bertagnolli has marked a splendid return to his best by winning
> the 27th edition of the Clásica San Sebastián today in Spain. The 29
> year-old Italian of Team Liquigas escaped at 11 kilometres remaining of
> the 225-kilometre race with Juan Manuel Gárate (Quick.Step Innergetic) to
> then overpower the Spaniard in a head to head sprint on the hot finishing
> straight along the Bay of Biscay. A small chase headed by Alejandro
> Valverde (Caisse d'Epargne) and Alessandro Ballan (Lampre-Fondital)
> finished around a half-minute back.
>
> The sixth-year professional from Trento had to stop for a month this
> spring for what doctors diagnosed as cardiac arrhythmia but he was able to
> build back to top-form and mark his first win after 17 months."
>
> Source:
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2007/aug07/sansebastian07/?id=results

On Aug 4, 11:55 pm, "Carmine Clamenza" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Darbepoetin alfa (rINN) (IPA: [d??(?)b?'p??t?n]) is a synthetic form of
> erythropoietin. It stimulates erythropoiesis (increases red blood cell
> levels) and is used to treat anemia, commonly associated with chronic renal
> failure and cancer chemotherapy. Darbepoetin is marketed by Amgen under the
> trade name Aranesp.
>
> Like EPO its use increases the risk of cardiovascular problems, including
> cardiac arrest, seizures, A-R-R-H-Y-T-H-M-I-A or strokes, hypertension and
> hypertensive encephalopathy, congestive heart failure, vascular thrombosis
> or ischemia, myocardial infarction and edema.
>
> Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darbepoetin_alfa
>
> ---------------------------------------
>
> "Carmine Clamenza" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:D[email protected]...
>

> > See the cyclingnews.com excerpt below. Leonardo Bertagnolli started his
> > pro career just 6 years ago and recently recovered from cardiac
> > arrhythmia. Is the UCI wondering if his cardiac arrhythmia is related to
> > doping? Doesn't the UCI believe that EPO renders the blood dense and
> > causes serious vascular problems like cardiac arrhythmia? Is the UCI
> > going to open an investigation into the true cause of Leonardo's victory?
> > I will not be surprised if they do.

> > -----------------------------------

> > "Leonardo Bertagnolli has marked a splendid return to his best by winning
> > the 27th edition of the Clásica San Sebastián today in Spain. The 29
> > year-old Italian of Team Liquigas escaped at 11 kilometres remaining of
> > the 225-kilometre race with Juan Manuel Gárate (Quick.Step Innergetic) to
> > then overpower the Spaniard in a head to head sprint on the hot finishing
> > straight along the Bay of Biscay. A small chase headed by Alejandro
> > Valverde (Caisse d'Epargne) and Alessandro Ballan (Lampre-Fondital)
> > finished around a half-minute back.

> > The sixth-year professional from Trento had to stop for a month this
> > spring for what doctors diagnosed as cardiac arrhythmia but he was ableto
> > build back to top-form and mark his first win after 17 months."

> > Source:
> >http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2007/aug07/sansebastian07/?id=results-Hide quoted text -

That's great... but it still doesn't change the facts that an
arrythmia is not a vascular problem or that lot's of people have
arrythmias. I have one, you may have one, you won't know for sure if
you've never been tested. Mine was determined to be of no particular
risk and was considered to be due to the fact I was 'too athletic', to
put it in the terms of the cardiologist who did my stress test.

You can try to stir up the **** pot if you wish and make something out
of this if you want, but its not really helping anything/anyone to go
on witch hunts every time a cyclist presents with a health problem
that MIGHT be a result of drug use, but it also a commonly found
problem in perhaps a quarter of the population at large.

Oh, so now you go to Wika - effing - pedia for medical knowledge.

Go to the prescribing information for any legal drug. In a large percentage
of them you will find arrythmia / dysrythmia as a consequence. You will also
find that many drugs cause constipation, and diarrhia.
Go figure.
Read Scott's post again. He appears to be a better source than your googling
wikapedia

Now that is even greater because that was my point with regard to the UCI.
The UCI is not really helping anything/anyone to go on which hunts everytime
a cyclist presents with a health problem (e.g., Ryan Cox of Barloworld) that
MIGHT be a result of drug use.

That's great... but it still doesn't change the facts that an
arrythmia is not a vascular problem or that lot's of people have
arrythmias. I have one, you may have one, you won't know for sure if
you've never been tested. Mine was determined to be of no particular
risk and was considered to be due to the fact I was 'too athletic', to
put it in the terms of the cardiologist who did my stress test.

You can try to stir up the **** pot if you wish and make something out
of this if you want, but its not really helping anything/anyone to go
on witch hunts every time a cyclist presents with a health problem
that MIGHT be a result of drug use, but it also a commonly found
problem in perhaps a quarter of the population at large.

cadiac arrythmia may be casued by amphetimine use.
younguys have a looooonnnnngggg way to go on this subject.
frankly yourn ignorance is limiting to the outskirts of Muskogee.
try the library.

"datakoll" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> cadiac arrythmia may be casued by amphetimine use.
> younguys have a looooonnnnngggg way to go on this subject.
> frankly yourn ignorance is limiting to the outskirts of Muskogee.
> try the library.

It can be caused by many things, and also appears as a warning or precaution
in many drug profiles. Do not jump to the conclusion that it is drug caused.

Your knowledge probably matches your spelling.

On Aug 6, 7:13 am, "mal" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "datakoll" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > cadiac arrythmia may be casued by amphetimine use.
> > younguys have a looooonnnnngggg way to go on this subject.
> > frankly yourn ignorance is limiting to the outskirts of Muskogee.
> > try the library.

> It can be caused by many things, and also appears as a warning or precaution
> in many drug profiles. Do not jump to the conclusion that it is drug caused.
>
> Your knowledge probably matches your spelling.

my knowledge is extensive, my humor incompare
your reading skills suck: try Adderall mixed with amphetimine and two
blue's

in 552249 20070806 135152 datakoll <[email protected]> wrote:
>On Aug 6, 7:13 am, "mal" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "datakoll" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> news:[email protected]...
>>

>> > cadiac arrythmia may be casued by amphetimine use.
>> > younguys have a looooonnnnngggg way to go on this subject.
>> > frankly yourn ignorance is limiting to the outskirts of Muskogee.
>> > try the library.

>> It can be caused by many things, and also appears as a warning or precaution
>> in many drug profiles. Do not jump to the conclusion that it is drug caused.
>>
>> Your knowledge probably matches your spelling.

>my knowledge is extensive, my humor incompare
>your reading skills suck: try Adderall mixed with amphetimine and two
>blue's

QED

for sure...little kids can have it...old people can have it. It's in the
electrical system of the heart and can be hereditary. He's fortunate
that they were able to treat it...it can go unnoticed and is often the
cause of sudden, mysterious deaths in people who were previously
healthy. WHen it happens to cyclists, who are usually young, we
automatically think doping because nothing shows up in an autopsy, but
arrhtyhmias can't be detected after death. It's not unheard of to be
able to get back to normal once it's treated.