L'equipe vs Lance- did it all start here?

Mike Jacoubowsky

Guest
http://outside.away.com/magazine/0794/947flanc.html
Staffers from the French sports daily L'Equipe, digging for a "Le Cowboy"
cover line, even went to the trouble of purchasing a Dallas Cowboys helmet,
jersey, pants, and shoulder pads. Armstrong, however, wasn't feeling
playful. "The helmet was, like, a really cheesy one, like somebody had
hand-painted it," he says. "And they expected me to dress up in it to take
pictures. No way."
==============================

So back in 1994, Lance ticks off L'Equipe, and the magazine spend the next
two decades getting back at hime. :>)

Actually, it's an interesting article to read, written in 1994, about Lance.
Later we find this quote-

==============================
Armstrong felt overwhelmed. One day he was a free-spirited prospect; the
next he was the second coming of LeMond, a cycling savior and potential
helmet-wearing, politically correct champion for English-speaking cycling
fandom. At 21 he'd had a career year, and now, on the verge of a new season,
he needed to work toward an encore. But what would suffice? "It's all
happened so fast," says Armstrong. "People have to realize I'm not a
30-year-old ambassador for the sport, but a 22-year-old trying to take it
all in and be cool about it."
==============================

So, when Lance was 30, was he truly an ambassador for the sport?

==============================
"I'm Not the Next Greg LeMond. I'm the First Lance Armstrong."

During his less emotional moments, however, Armstrong seems to be getting
wiser. He doesn't mouth-off the way he used to, and he no longer drops his
name in the same sentence as LeMond's.
==============================

Interesting to see that there was potentially a Lance/LeMond spat going on
back in 1994.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Dans le message de news:[email protected],
Mike Jacoubowsky <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
> http://outside.away.com/magazine/0794/947flanc.html
> Staffers from the French sports daily L'Equipe, digging for a "Le
> Cowboy" cover line, even went to the trouble of purchasing a Dallas
> Cowboys helmet, jersey, pants, and shoulder pads. Armstrong, however,
> wasn't feeling playful. "The helmet was, like, a really cheesy one,
> like somebody had hand-painted it," he says. "And they expected me to
> dress up in it to take pictures. No way."
> ==============================
>
> So back in 1994, Lance ticks off L'Equipe, and the magazine spend the
> next two decades getting back at hime. :>)

If this were in RBT, I would ask someone to check the math.

> Actually, it's an interesting article to read, written in 1994, about
> Lance.

Anyway, Armstrong succumbed to the curse of wearing the rainbow jersey in
1994, for the most part.

> Interesting to see that there was potentially a Lance/LeMond spat
> going on back in 1994.

Well, judging from the quotes, it seems to originate from Armstrong - was
that your point?
--
Bonne route !

Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

| > Interesting to see that there was potentially a Lance/LeMond spat
| > going on back in 1994.
|
| Well, judging from the quotes, it seems to originate from Armstrong - was
| that your point?

Obviously Lance was responding to comparison being made by others. The
others aren't identified, but could be that the media was doing what it
could to stir things up. Shocking concept, that.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Sandy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| Dans le message de news:[email protected],
| Mike Jacoubowsky <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
| > http://outside.away.com/magazine/0794/947flanc.html
| > Staffers from the French sports daily L'Equipe, digging for a "Le
| > Cowboy" cover line, even went to the trouble of purchasing a Dallas
| > Cowboys helmet, jersey, pants, and shoulder pads. Armstrong, however,
| > wasn't feeling playful. "The helmet was, like, a really cheesy one,
| > like somebody had hand-painted it," he says. "And they expected me to
| > dress up in it to take pictures. No way."
| > ==============================
| >
| > So back in 1994, Lance ticks off L'Equipe, and the magazine spend the
| > next two decades getting back at hime. :>)
|
| If this were in RBT, I would ask someone to check the math.
|
| > Actually, it's an interesting article to read, written in 1994, about
| > Lance.
|
| Anyway, Armstrong succumbed to the curse of wearing the rainbow jersey in
| 1994, for the most part.
|
| > Interesting to see that there was potentially a Lance/LeMond spat
| > going on back in 1994.
|
| Well, judging from the quotes, it seems to originate from Armstrong - was
| that your point?
| --
| Bonne route !
|
| Sandy
| Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

"Sandy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Well, judging from the quotes, it seems to originate from Armstrong - was
> that your point?

Sandy, were you an ambassador when you were 21? Armstrong was simply saying
not to expect so much from him.