less cars : roll on $2 per litre

On 2006-08-21, TimC <[email protected]> wrote:
> It is impossible to buy a laptop without windows
> installed, because all laptop manufacturs have made a deal with
> Microsoft -- in order for MS to support the hardware at all, the
> hardware must be exclusively distributed with windows pre-installed.

<nitpick>
http://www.apple.com.au/store/
</nitpick>

On 2006-08-21, Stuart Lamble (aka Bruce)
> On 2006-08-21, TimC <[email protected]> wrote:
>> It is impossible to buy a laptop without windows
>> installed, because all laptop manufacturs have made a deal with
>> Microsoft -- in order for MS to support the hardware at all, the
>> hardware must be exclusively distributed with windows pre-installed.

> <nitpick>
> http://www.apple.com.au/store/
> </nitpick>

A laptop, not a cripled toy with even fewer mouse buttons than the
unusably small amount of normal laptops, that wastes most of its power
lighting that silly logo on the back of the lid. :p

--
TimC
Press any key to continue, any other key to abort

Donga <[email protected]> wrote:

> AndrewJ wrote:
> > Is it just my imagination, or are there actually less cars out there?
> > Seems to me that it is starting to reduce slightly.
> >
> > Roll on $2 per litre.

> Thanks ya *******. I have three kids who are involved in a lot of
> activities. It simply can't be done without driving. This petrol hike
> is killing me financially and the only thing I could do about it is
> pull them out of their sports, debating, choir, theatre sports, etc.
> Wishing for that to happen is mean and nasty. The ideal world is one
> where we have unlimited access to whatever we want, but choose to use
> only what we need.
>
> Donga

What will happen in our ideal economy is that a market opportunity will
arise as a result of people not being able to travel. Adam Smith will
rise from his grave and point an invisible boney finger at your suburb
and say to the capitalists, "you must provide dance classes for those
children". Your children will be able to ride their bikes to dance
classes and all will be well with the world again.

Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA
http://bicyclemackay.org.au

Tamyka Bell <[email protected]> wrote:

> Theo Bekkers wrote:
> >
> > AndrewJ wrote:
> > > Is it just my imagination, or are there actually less cars out there?
> > > Seems to me that it is starting to reduce slightly.
> > >
> > > Roll on $2 per litre.

> > And bananas at $20 per kilo.
> >
> > Theo

> Unless you know an a.b'er with a mini-plantation...
>
> Tam

The joys of living in Mackay. Then again I don't really like bananas.

Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA
http://bicyclemackay.org.au

The only place where capitalist free markets will ever exist is in the pages of economics textbooks, where they will remain a fairy story much like the notion that Lenin was a nice guy who really wanted ordinary people to have control over their lives (why then would they need him?). Or perhaps more like the fairy story that the US is a bastion of free-market enterprise, rather than an economy that is a mish-mash of geniune entrepreneurialism, mercantilism and military Keynesianism. The very few people who want a free market a la Economics 101 are either economists or people who think Ayn Rand was a philosopher and a really good writer. The idea that you can cleave off the economy from political influences and that powerful interests will suddenly change their near feudalistic mindset is very strange.

On 2006-08-22, TimC <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 2006-08-21, Stuart Lamble (aka Bruce)
>> On 2006-08-21, TimC <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> It is impossible to buy a laptop without windows
>>> installed, because all laptop manufacturs have made a deal with
>>> Microsoft -- in order for MS to support the hardware at all, the
>>> hardware must be exclusively distributed with windows pre-installed.

>> <nitpick>
>> http://www.apple.com.au/store/
>> </nitpick>

> A laptop, not a cripled toy with even fewer mouse buttons than the
> unusably small amount of normal laptops, that wastes most of its power
> lighting that silly logo on the back of the lid. :p

Them's fighting words, boy. Operating system CDs at ten paces at noon
tomorrow. First to get Gnumeric installed from source - no packaging
tools allowed - will be the winner.

In article
<[email protected]>,
TimC <[email protected]> wrote:

> A laptop, not a cripled toy with even fewer mouse buttons than the
> unusably small amount of normal laptops, that wastes most of its power
> lighting that silly logo on the back of the lid.

Mouse buttons on laptops? A simple "I was wrong" might have been a
smarter answer.

--
Shane Stanley

On 2006-08-22, Shane Stanley (aka Bruce)
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> TimC <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> A laptop, not a cripled toy with even fewer mouse buttons than the
>> unusably small amount of normal laptops, that wastes most of its power
>> lighting that silly logo on the back of the lid.

> Mouse buttons on laptops? A simple "I was wrong" might have been a
> smarter answer.

OK, I should have clarified it.

"It is impossible to buy a laptop that I would ever consider using
without windows preinstalled".

Yes, I hate macs worse than windows. And it's not just a software
deficiency. If someone gave me a mac, and I installed debian linux on
it, I still wouldn't want to use it.

But geez, this thread is getting old, isn't it? And I am the one to
blame, because I keep responding to it. I promise to think about
stopping, before I get into everyone's killfiles :)

--
TimC
We would be called technicians, not researchers, if we knew

In article
<[email protected]>,
TimC <[email protected]> wrote:

> OK, I should have clarified it.
>
> "It is impossible to buy a laptop that I would ever consider using
> without windows preinstalled".

That's better -- we've isolated the real cause of your problem, it seems.

I suppose you don't watch television, either...

--
Shane Stanley

On 2006-08-22, Shane Stanley (aka Bruce)
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> TimC <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> OK, I should have clarified it.
>>
>> "It is impossible to buy a laptop that I would ever consider using
>> without windows preinstalled".

> That's better -- we've isolated the real cause of your problem, it seems.
>
> I suppose you don't watch television, either...

How did you guess? Actually, I do watch Dr Who.

--
TimC
Anyone seeking the "Relativistic Quantum Mechanics" soft option

Shane Stanley wrote:
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> TimC <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>OK, I should have clarified it.
>>
>>"It is impossible to buy a laptop that I would ever consider using
>>without windows preinstalled".

> That's better -- we've isolated the real cause of your problem, it seems.
>
> I suppose you don't watch television, either...

Good god. Talk about comparing reliable technology with reliable
technology.

Yeah I dont suppose Tim would be wildly happy about having to buy a TV
with the shopping channel preinstalled and paid for.

Dave

Stuart Lamble wrote:
> On 2006-08-21, Terryc <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Every microsoft "development" has been copied or stolen from elsewhere.

> Objection! As a counterargument, I present unto thee, Microsoft Bob! So
> good, the project lead actually married Bill Gates! (Then again, I'm not
> sure if that would count as a reward or a punishment. :)

Sadly, yes sadly, I believe this was also a copied idea (xerox or Bell
Labs ?), but they had the good sense to realise that AI isn't and buried it.

I assume you are tlaking about "for the project lead" {:)
bill gates is just another example of a successful businessman who is
now trying to buy respectability.

Terryc <[email protected]> wrote:

> bill gates is just another example of a successful businessman who is
> now trying to buy respectability.

You know that for a fact? As much as I can't stand him or his business
tactics, he could just spend his money buying flights into space or
other such games of the uber rich.

--
..dt