less than long-distance touring

FatherBob

May 12, 2005
I'm not thrilled with any of the possible subject lines I came up with for this post, but this one should prove other than grossly inadequate, I reckon.

When shopping for a new bike, I wanted one capable of carrying enough gear for extended trips, camping, or just commuting to work (12 or 13 miles from home). In the Trek X500, I'm pretty sure I'll find satisfaction.

But I don't see myself taking a week or month off to go bike across the countryside any time soon. Maybe next year, after I've become more accustomed to the idea.

However, I live in central Mississippi, a few hours' drive from a good many cool places to blow a weekend on a bike. I can see myself driving down to New Orleans, up to Clarksdale, off to the Emerald Coast, etc., parking some place where the car can be forgotten in relative safety, and biking for two or three days. With some mindful packing, I can imagine coming back with some interesting local goods in the panniers.

But I don't see many people discussing this kind of ride, at least in comparison with "serious" long-distance riding with less of a touristy slant.

Anyone do this much? And if so, is it ever referred to in a particular way?

FatherBob said:
I'm not thrilled with any of the possible subject lines I came up with for this post, but this one should prove other than grossly inadequate, I reckon.

When shopping for a new bike, I wanted one capable of carrying enough gear for extended trips, camping, or just commuting to work (12 or 13 miles from home). In the Trek X500, I'm pretty sure I'll find satisfaction.

But I don't see myself taking a week or month off to go bike across the countryside any time soon. Maybe next year, after I've become more accustomed to the idea.

However, I live in central Mississippi, a few hours' drive from a good many cool places to blow a weekend on a bike. I can see myself driving down to New Orleans, up to Clarksdale, off to the Emerald Coast, etc., parking some place where the car can be forgotten in relative safety, and biking for two or three days. With some mindful packing, I can imagine coming back with some interesting local goods in the panniers.

But I don't see many people discussing this kind of ride, at least in comparison with "serious" long-distance riding with less of a touristy slant.

Anyone do this much? And if so, is it ever referred to in a particular way?

I depends on the load you are carying. When you go for a weekend away, carrying only the minimum due to eating out and staying in a hotel / B&B, it's called credit card touring. If you are carrying your tent and the whole kaboodle then I dont think matters how long the tour is for, it's still "touring"
Check out touring@phred as you'll find this a busier list for touring.

Cheers

Geoff

geoffs said:
I depends on the load you are carying. When you go for a weekend away, carrying only the minimum due to eating out and staying in a hotel / B&B, it's called credit card touring. If you are carrying your tent and the whole kaboodle then I dont think matters how long the tour is for, it's still "touring"
Check out touring@phred as you'll find this a busier list for touring.

Cheers

Geoff
Thanks for the tip!

With some creative googling last night, I found that "trekking" is another way some people refer to some of what I have in mind. "Trekking" and "touring" seem roughly synonymous in general, though.

I also found enough discussion to find that the X500 seems to be a cross between a touring bike & a hybrid (which is itself a cross between a road bike & a MTB). Trek draws a (not immediately obvious) distinction between "touring" and "trekking" bikes. And among their trekking bikes, they offer several modestly-priced (but not inexpensive) models that are similar in most respects, and one model (the X500) with components upgraded to the Shimano Deore level and (mechanical) disc brakes.

I'm throwing all this into my reply just in case it proves helpful for someone who comes along later with some of the same questions I've had.