Lessons I've learned that you already knew...

Hell and High Water

Guest
1. Never buy a seat because it looks cool.

2. Never put your cell phone in the seat bag, along with a steel tool,
with no protection.

3. Don't be cheap with the shorts.

4. A size LARGE jersey isn't.

5. Watch for seams in the pavement.

etc...

Any others you want to tell me, so I don't have to learn 'em for
myself???

;-)

-Bob

Hell and High Water wrote:
:: 1. Never buy a seat because it looks cool.
::
Yeah, you pay big time if you do.

:: 2. Never put your cell phone in the seat bag, along with a steel
:: tool, with no protection.

Never knew that one...

::
:: 3. Don't be cheap with the shorts.
::

Yeah, you pay big time if you do.

:: 4. A size LARGE jersey isn't.

haha. Have you tried velowear.com?

::
:: 5. Watch for seams in the pavement.
::

Watch carefully when crossing railroad tracks, too. I took a spill at about
13 mph after crossing some in a loop - about on the 10 loop I just quit
paying attention. My head was sliding across pavement in slow motion. I
was happy to have a helmet on that day...

:: etc...
::
::
::
:: Any others you want to tell me, so I don't have to learn 'em for
:: myself???
::

See above...

Hell and High Water wrote:
> 1. Never buy a seat because it looks cool.
>
> 2. Never put your cell phone in the seat bag, along with a steel tool,
> with no protection.
>
> 3. Don't be cheap with the shorts.
>
> 4. A size LARGE jersey isn't.
>
> 5. Watch for seams in the pavement.
>
> etc...
>

> Any others you want to tell me, so I don't have to learn 'em for
> myself???

When a little creek crosses the road, don't ride across it. Get off
you bike and walk it across. If it is someplace that often has water,
it may be mossy and extremely slick. I learned my lesson, and ended up
with 3 stiches in my thumb.

Later,
Mark Muller

Hell and High Water <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> 3. Don't be cheap with the shorts.

unless you ride a recumbent!

> 4. A size LARGE jersey isn't.

Fire up the way-back machine, Sherman, and compare clothing sizes
between now and 30 years ago. 2005 jersey/1975 jersey > 2005 shirt/1975
shirt. Except for italian suits, if I try on a jacket for my chest size
(or a shirt for my neck size) I can comfortably put keep a football
taped to my tummy.

> 5. Watch for seams in the pavement.

Friendly Coos County, New Hampshire (The Gravel State - Live Free or
Else) had an expression: choose your rut wisely, you'll be in it for a
long time. Getting rutted on a bike in a pavement seem (get your minds
out of the gutter, folks) lasts less than half a second can be far more
painful than philosophical.

6. The trotter set at Yonkers Raceway has an expression: better to be
parked wide than boxed in. For drivers who don't signal and cut you off
on a turn, versus drivers who or on your butt, 20-0 > 30-20. [If you
see a trotter who drew an outside post, got parked double wide, placed
or showed, then draws an inside spot in today's race, bet it. You
usually get one of these every other card.]

--ag

> etc...
>

> Any others you want to tell me, so I don't have to learn 'em for
> myself???
>

> ;-)
>
> -Bob

Any others you want to tell me, so I don't have to learn 'em for myself???
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A water bottle cage that is easy to get the bottle out of is also good at
dropping the bottle on a big bump.

Hell and High Water wrote:

> Any others you want to tell me, so I don't have to learn 'em for
> myself???

Gloves... always wear gloves.
Glasses... even cheap clear safty ones. Little bugs in the eyes are a
bother.

andy gee wrote:
>>4. A size LARGE jersey isn't.

> Fire up the way-back machine, Sherman, and compare clothing sizes
> between now and 30 years ago. 2005 jersey/1975 jersey > 2005 shirt/1975
> shirt. Except for italian suits, if I try on a jacket for my chest size
> (or a shirt for my neck size) I can comfortably put keep a football
> taped to my tummy.

This is largely dependant on the clothing manufacturer, and where the
clothing is manufactured. Clothing manufactured in North America, or
manufactured for a North American market, tend to be a little larger,
then clothing made for a foreign market. For example we all know that
Italian suit makers can't seem to be able to make a pair of pants larger
then for a 12" waist.

Hell and High Water wrote:

> Any others you want to tell me, so I don't have to learn 'em for
> myself???

If the weather man says it *might* rain, it will - unless you ride your
rain bike and carry foul-weather gear.

Ride the rain bike anyway (the one with fenders....).

-Buck

Buck wrote:
:: Hell and High Water wrote:
::
::: Any others you want to tell me, so I don't have to learn 'em for
::: myself???
::
:: If the weather man says it *might* rain, it will - unless you ride
:: your rain bike and carry foul-weather gear.

Hmm....whenever the weatherman here says it *might* rain, I plan to ride
anyway because 9 times out of 10, it won't rain and if I had planned
otherwise, I'd end up not riding because of the stupid weather report. The
only time I don't ride is if I see rain or scary clouds. It kinda sucks but
if I listen to the weather report, I'd ride less.

::

Roger Zoul wrote:
> Buck wrote:
> :: Hell and High Water wrote:
> ::
> ::: Any others you want to tell me, so I don't have to learn 'em for
> ::: myself???
> ::
> :: If the weather man says it *might* rain, it will - unless you ride
> :: your rain bike and carry foul-weather gear.
>
> Hmm....whenever the weatherman here says it *might* rain, I plan to ride
> anyway because 9 times out of 10, it won't rain and if I had planned
> otherwise, I'd end up not riding because of the stupid weather report. The
> only time I don't ride is if I see rain or scary clouds. It kinda sucks but
> if I listen to the weather report, I'd ride less.

If your in Canada check with Environment Canada first,
http://www.ec.gc.ca click English (or French whatever your pleasure),
select weather (top green section), select radar image, select your area
off the map, if it's mostly clear (often isn't near major cities due to
polution), you probably have a couple of hours rain free if your near
the middle of the map.

Americans can get similar coverage from the National Weather Service,
http://www.nws.noaa.gov select Radar, then click near your location on
the map.

You should carry a Weatheradio especially if your in a severe weather
area, keep the radio in alert mode. Last Friday, a Tornado warning was
issued for most of Southern Ontario, including Toronto. Usually the hot
air eminating from city hall and Queens Park is strong enough to blow
storms North to the Barrie area, in this case it failed to do so....

Roger Zoul wrote:
> Buck wrote:
> :: Hell and High Water wrote:
> ::
> ::: Any others you want to tell me, so I don't have to learn 'em for
> ::: myself???
> ::
> :: If the weather man says it *might* rain, it will - unless you ride
> :: your rain bike and carry foul-weather gear.
>
> Hmm....whenever the weatherman here says it *might* rain, I plan to ride
> anyway because 9 times out of 10, it won't rain and if I had planned
> otherwise, I'd end up not riding because of the stupid weather report. The
> only time I don't ride is if I see rain or scary clouds. It kinda sucks but
> if I listen to the weather report, I'd ride less.
>
> ::
> :: Ride the rain bike anyway (the one with fenders....).
> ::
> :: -Buck

I friend of mine who happens to split her time between being a great
bike mechanic at a local shop (for the past 5 years and she's 20!) and
being a beautiful and wise sage once said:

/If you only ride when the weather is perfect you'll never ride./

maybe that's a common saying among cyclists, but I heard it from her
first and it prompted me to take your attitude. It's helped a lot.

--
Paul M. Hobson
Georgia Institute of Technology

Hell and High Water wrote:
> 1. Never buy a seat because it looks cool.
>
> 2. Never put your cell phone in the seat bag, along with a steel tool,
> with no protection.
>
> 3. Don't be cheap with the shorts.
>
> 4. A size LARGE jersey isn't.
>
> 5. Watch for seams in the pavement.
>
> etc...
>

> Any others you want to tell me, so I don't have to learn 'em for
> myself???

If you are riding your mountain bike on a wet surface, don't reach up
and scratch your nose with your right hand and hit the brake with your
left hand. You will go down in a heap, faster than you can say Jack
Robinson.

The Wogster wrote:
> Roger Zoul wrote:
>
>> Buck wrote:
>> :: Hell and High Water wrote:
>> ::
>> ::: Any others you want to tell me, so I don't have to learn 'em for
>> ::: myself???
>> ::
>> :: If the weather man says it *might* rain, it will - unless you ride
>> :: your rain bike and carry foul-weather gear.
>>
>> Hmm....whenever the weatherman here says it *might* rain, I plan to
>> ride anyway because 9 times out of 10, it won't rain and if I had
>> planned otherwise, I'd end up not riding because of the stupid weather
>> report. The only time I don't ride is if I see rain or scary clouds.
>> It kinda sucks but if I listen to the weather report, I'd ride less.
>>

> If your in Canada check with Environment Canada first,
> http://www.ec.gc.ca click English (or French whatever your pleasure),
> select weather (top green section), select radar image, select your area
> off the map, if it's mostly clear (often isn't near major cities due to
> polution), you probably have a couple of hours rain free if your near
> the middle of the map.
>
> Americans can get similar coverage from the National Weather Service,
> http://www.nws.noaa.gov select Radar, then click near your location on
> the map.

Firefox has nifty extension called forecast fox that links your browser
to up a commercial site (accuweather). Aside from displaying to the
forecast for the week in a variety of units (metric!!) there's a mouse
rollover section that displays the radar for your region. pretty cool.

--
Paul M. Hobson
Georgia Institute of Technology
..:change the words numbers
if you want to reply to me:.

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:45:41 -0400, "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Buck wrote:
>:: Hell and High Water wrote:
>::
>::: Any others you want to tell me, so I don't have to learn 'em for
>::: myself???
>::
>:: If the weather man says it *might* rain, it will - unless you ride
>:: your rain bike and carry foul-weather gear.
>
>Hmm....whenever the weatherman here says it *might* rain, I plan to ride
>anyway because 9 times out of 10, it won't rain and if I had planned
>otherwise, I'd end up not riding because of the stupid weather report. The
>only time I don't ride is if I see rain or scary clouds. It kinda sucks but
>if I listen to the weather report, I'd ride less.

How's the mileage going for the SC Century ride? Going for both of them;
one the following day? You and Pam drafting again? Still going for a 12mph,
or new goal/time? (If you don't mind the Qs) ;-)

jj

>::
>:: Ride the rain bike anyway (the one with fenders....).
>::
>:: -Buck

In article <[email protected]>,
"Will" <[email protected]> writes:

> Glasses... even cheap clear safty ones. Little bugs in the eyes are a
> bother.

You can say that again. If you get a midge, gnat or similar
small bug in one eye, you'll get another bug in the other eye
while you're trying to extricate the first bug.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Hell and High Water wrote:
> 1. Never buy a seat because it looks cool.
>
> 2. Never put your cell phone in the seat bag, along with a steel tool,
> with no protection.
>
> 3. Don't be cheap with the shorts.
>
> 4. A size LARGE jersey isn't.
>
> 5. Watch for seams in the pavement.
>
> etc...
>

> Any others you want to tell me, so I don't have to learn 'em for
> myself???

6. If you're using clipless pedals/cleats, click out of the pedals
before coming to a stop [Thud! Ouch!]

jj wrote:
:: On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:45:41 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
:: <[email protected]> wrote:
::
::: Buck wrote:
::::: Hell and High Water wrote:
:::::
:::::: Any others you want to tell me, so I don't have to learn 'em for
:::::: myself???
:::::
::::: If the weather man says it *might* rain, it will - unless you ride
::::: your rain bike and carry foul-weather gear.
:::
::: Hmm....whenever the weatherman here says it *might* rain, I plan to
::: ride anyway because 9 times out of 10, it won't rain and if I had
::: planned otherwise, I'd end up not riding because of the stupid
::: weather report. The only time I don't ride is if I see rain or
::: scary clouds. It kinda sucks but if I listen to the weather
::: report, I'd ride less.
::
:: How's the mileage going for the SC Century ride? Going for both of
:: them; one the following day? You and Pam drafting again? Still going
:: for a 12mph, or new goal/time? (If you don't mind the Qs) ;-)

I'm ramping up the mileage at a good pace, currently doing the equivalent of
a metric century almost once a week. I have two local rides soon, one on
Sept 10 (metric) and the other on Oct 1 (either metric or english). I'm
hoping Pam will join me on the Oct 1 ride as that is right here in town
(where we both work but I live about 40 miles away). I don't know if she'll
join me for the CCF in Charleston, but I'm going no matter what, now that
they have a single-day fee. I'll only be able to do one century due to gf
committments (I must spend some time with her on Sunday). That will be on
Saturday, November 5. I'm certainly going to ask Pam to join me, though. I
hope to do better than 12mph, though, as I think we were around 13.x last
time. Also, last year, I was sick for 3 whole weeks before the event, so
I'm hoping to put in a better time this year. Also, my gf lives in the
lower part of NC where the terrain is flat. So, I'll get to put in some
time riding there before doing the CCF. I thought flat would be a piece of
cake after doing hills up here, but it turns out its a bit different since
you're pedalling 99% of the time whereas up here you can coast on the down
size.

Oh, the CCF was initially going to be a quad century! Imagine that! I
guess they got too much flak about that so now they only have two centuries
on Saturday and Sunday, and the Saturday one has been renamed FestiVELO de
Charleston (the one Pam and I did last year). I didn't mind the quad
century but the single register fee of $100 was a butt kicker.

"JBAFromNY" wrote: (clip) 6. If you're using clipless pedals/cleats, click
out of the pedals before coming to a stop [Thud! Ouch!]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
7. If you click out on one side only, there is a good chance you will fall
to the other side.

Hell and High Water wrote:

> 1. Never buy a seat because it looks cool.
>
> 2. Never put your cell phone in the seat bag, along with a steel tool,
> with no protection.

2a. Never put your spare tube in the seat bag along with a steel tool.

andy gee <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hell and High Water <[email protected]> wrote in
>
> > 4. A size LARGE jersey isn't.

> Fire up the way-back machine, Sherman, and compare clothing sizes
> between now and 30 years ago. 2005 jersey/1975 jersey > 2005 shirt/1975
> shirt. Except for italian suits, if I try on a jacket for my chest size
> (or a shirt for my neck size) I can comfortably put keep a football
> taped to my tummy.

I'm having the opposite problem quite often. A size SMALL is often not
small enough. Nalini and Castelli jerseys fit fine, but Campagnolo is a
bit too loose and my otherwise neat Kraftwerk "Tour de France" jersey in
size S is way too big.

I'm obviously on the smaller end of male cyclists at 5'7" and 135 lbs, but
hardly anything out of the ordinary. With L you can always go to XL,
but with S it's either to the kids' section or no luck.

-as