Lest One Think It's Not All About Lance

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by John Everett, May 20, 2004.

  1. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    Last week I sent this in an email to [email protected], the contact
    address for the sports department of the Chicago Tribune:

    "I noticed that today (Thursday, May 13) for the first time you've
    listed the live Giro d'Italia coverage on OLN. The race has been
    broadcast since Saturday, but you seem to have just figured it out.

    "I've also been somewhat disappointed by the lack of coverage of
    what is arguably the second most important bike race in the world. I
    found one little item about Gilberto Simoni's stage 3 win, but no
    daily listing of stage results or GC standings."

    This morning there was finally a "Cycling" listing on the "Scoreboard"
    page. First listing: "Wednesday's Results, Languedoc-Roussillon". It
    listed the first ten plus Lance, in 67th place.

    This was followed by Stage 10 results from the Giro, but only the
    first three, plus Freddy in 12th. They did also list the top three in
    GC.

    It took eleven days of racing for them to finally get around to
    listing the Giro, yet Lance appears in a minor race and that gets top
    billing. I'm guessing if Lance had chosen to skip L-R, we'd still be
    waiting for Giro news.

  2. HardwareLust

    HardwareLust Guest

    John Everett wrote:
    > Last week I sent this in an email to [email protected], the contact
    > address for the sports department of the Chicago Tribune:

    The Seattle papers are only slightly better. They have printed a few small
    blurbs on the race so far, but no mention in the TV listings. I was
    gratified to read a short article about Fred winning stage 9, though.

    Just a note, but I am also a Formula 1 fan, and that gets about the same
    amount of coverage as bike racing does.

    Of course, there's acres of space dedicated to detailing the Mariner's worst
    season ever every day in sickening, minute detail. Puzzling, because there
    can't be more than 10 people left that are still interested in that group of
    losers.

  3. John Tezel

    John Tezel Guest

    John Everett <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Last week I sent this in an email to [email protected], the contact
    > address for the sports department of the Chicago Tribune:
    >
    > "I noticed that today (Thursday, May 13) for the first time you've
    > listed the live Giro d'Italia coverage on OLN. The race has been
    > broadcast since Saturday, but you seem to have just figured it out.
    >
    > "I've also been somewhat disappointed by the lack of coverage of
    > what is arguably the second most important bike race in the world. I
    > found one little item about Gilberto Simoni's stage 3 win, but no
    > daily listing of stage results or GC standings."
    >
    > This morning there was finally a "Cycling" listing on the "Scoreboard"
    > page. First listing: "Wednesday's Results, Languedoc-Roussillon". It
    > listed the first ten plus Lance, in 67th place.
    >
    > This was followed by Stage 10 results from the Giro, but only the
    > first three, plus Freddy in 12th. They did also list the top three in
    > GC.
    >
    > It took eleven days of racing for them to finally get around to
    > listing the Giro, yet Lance appears in a minor race and that gets top
    > billing. I'm guessing if Lance had chosen to skip L-R, we'd still be
    > waiting for Giro news.
    >

    > jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

    Funny that... but here I am checking rbr, and there are NO posts on
    Stage 11 of the Giro, where a young Italian climber surprised everyone
    by going solo to win the stage ending in Pantani's hometown. But there
    is plenty of tdf talk, a thread on the 10 seconds Armstrong lost in
    today's stage of the L-R, and US Postal's adventures with the
    wind-tunnel.

    As a cycling fan, I hope it'll be anyone but Lance for the maillot
    jaune this year.

  4. "HardwareLust" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > Of course, there's acres of space dedicated to detailing the Mariner's

    worst
    > season ever every day in sickening, minute detail. Puzzling, because

    there
    > can't be more than 10 people left that are still interested in that group

    of
    > losers.

    9 plus the guy who modeled his ex-wife's dress ebay?