Let Me In

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Gadget, Mar 29, 2003.

  1. Gadget

    Gadget Guest

    I have developed a double click in my left pedal and over the past few days it has started to annoy
    me. I removed my pedal and attempted to get to the bearings inside. No such luck. I sprayed in some
    grease and the clicking has stopped but when turned in the hand it sounds and feels rough. How does
    one get into the body of a pedal, so I could strip clean the bearings and check for grit. I can't
    say who made the pedal but on the end their is an N or a Z, depending on which the way the stops. It
    is the same pedal that came with the bike and the bike was made by Orange and is a Gringo.

    Many Thanks

    Gadget

    Tags:

  2. Nc

    Nc Guest

    "Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have developed a double click in my left pedal and over the past few
    days
    > it has started to annoy me. I removed my pedal and attempted to get to the bearings inside. No
    > such luck. I sprayed in some grease and the clicking
    has
    > stopped but when turned in the hand it sounds and feels rough. How does
    one
    > get into the body of a pedal, so I could strip clean the bearings and
    check
    > for grit. I can't say who made the pedal but on the end their is an N or a Z, depending on which
    > the way the stops. It is the same pedal that came
    with
    > the bike and the bike was made by Orange and is a Gringo.

    Could be any pedal, (makers change what's fitted regularly).

    In general, you need to remove the end-cap furthest from the crank. This might be prize off, or
    might be screw. Once that is removed there is probably a locknut, a washer (with a D-flat on its
    inner bore) and a cone nut. Remove each carefully, and then the pedal body can be removed from the
    spindle. Ball bearings will be in each end of the pedal, so count them carefully as they fall out so
    you know how many to put back, and which end they sit at. You may find the bearings are different
    sizes at each end. Clean everything, grease and then re-assemble. Adjust the pressure on the cone
    and locknut to get minimal friction and minimal slop. Finally refit the end cap.

    You may find it advantageous to drill a small hole in the pedal body away from the bearing running
    surface, and use that in future to inject clean grease from a syringe.

    NC