Let the beatings begin!

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by peterpen, Sep 30, 2006.

1. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

Let me simplify things. I won't be recommending the iBike until these issues are resolved and until I see some quality data.

2. xcmntgeek

xcmntgeek New Member

Saw and talked to these guys at interbike (see the interbike thread). An interesting idea... they claimed a .5% repeatability.

Justin

3. tbowren

tbowren New Member

I am very interested in the idea of this product but can someone explain what the sensor is? Does it go on the bottom of the shoe? Inside the shoe? Does it replace the pedal? Can it be used on a mountain bike? It says on the website "Requires only once sensor!" So I assume it goes on only one foot.
    I see lots of pretty pics of an orange computer and some strange orange "Egg" thing, but I would really like to see a pic of the sensor.

Thanks,
    Tony

4. tbowren

tbowren New Member

OK so I read some more and found:

Simple Installation: Just replace the insole and clip on the transmitter!

It would seem this could be used for mountain biking as well. I guess its ok that it only measures 1 foot. I just wonder what the power reading will say when I bunny hop off a 4 foot drop. That is some maximum instantaneous power!!!

Also, I don't care what that website says I DO pull up on the pedal when I climb a steep hill. It probably doesn't add much to the overall torque on the cranks, but I feel it pulling up on the shoelaces. (But thats usually at a cadence of like 20 rpm and only on a mountain climb)

Tony

5. mises

mises New Member

I do a lot of climbing and it would definitely be an issue. I think they are also missing a big opportunity to be the only consumer product that could report real L-R balance and pedaling dynamics. If price point is a big objective they should make it an option to have two and redo the software to be able to accomdate two plates if you wanted to run it that way.

6. Old Junker

Old Junker New Member

i wonder if the insole would absorb some of the power, for people like me who dont use insoles, it might make a difference, even if its just splitting a hair.

7. Flatscan

Flatscan New Member

8. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

Actually, I did recall that thread. I'm still looking for the new technology beyond strain gauges.

9. Alex Simmons

Alex Simmons Member

Well zero watts actually if it's working properly and you ain't turning the cranks during such a manoeuver. Power = torque x angular velocity (cadence).

Of course you do - we all do to some extent under the right conditions - Otherwise I'd have to presume those $100 leather binding straps I use on my track pedals aren't required when doing standing starts.:rolleyes:

10. SolarEnergy

SolarEnergy New Member

11. Thom_y

Thom_y New Member

Could you post in English for us maritimers.

Thanks.