Let the Mayhem Begin

Joshua Goldberg

Guest
Saw on the 11:00 pm News another Toronto (Winter) Cyclist was rundown and killed at an Intersection
by a car. Seems the male stopped and decided to walk his Mtb across the street to be safe when a car
slid through a red light and ran over him. People think I'm kidding when I write here about how
weird this city is if UR a cyclist. Death and injury is common place, but only in the last couple of
years has there been a noticeable number of Winter Cyclists getting hit. It is especially
unbalancing for me, as I've been a pretty vocal cyclist about getting more cyclists to ride through
the winter.

Today (Thursday) will be my 1st time riding my Tadpole at night (10:00 pm). I have never tried a
night ride 8 miles in minus 18 C. windchill, high winds and it will be snowing...hopefully I won't
need the Rollbar.

I am totally excited being the ONLY (Winter) tadpole rider in a city of 5 million, Hopefully my
sharing the roads will NOT be such a curious distraction car drivers will be looking only at me and
not at the car/SUV they are about to crash into. I can see some carnage in my future, hopefully I
can ride around it and not have it landing on top of me.

Oh Yeah a tenant in my apt. tower came up to me yesterday and said...you know I've been watching you
ride your bents and I decided to toss my Mtb and now I am going to build a LWB bent. Plus since I
moved into my 23 level apt. bldg. 4 years ago....3 tenants have dumped their DFs and gone bent. A
neighbour down the street went bent too last year. I had never met any of them till they showed up
with their bents.

**I began riding a bent in 1978 in Toronto and for a decade being one of maybe only 3 bent riders,
It does my heart good to see so many folks (finally) going bent in my midst.

***Now it is time to let people see what Tadpoles can do in this city, at
11:00 am I will try my 1st 40 mph full brake skid.......and considering I am the one to unleash my
Wile E. Coyote style of Bent Riding techniques upon this city********let the Mayhem begin!!!!!!

How in holy hell do you get to 40mph on the pancake-flat streets of Toronto? And with the
possibility of ice too? It's true: all pioneers and visonaries are regarded as screwballs by the
rest of us timid souls. Sure hope you had a good--and safe--trip.

How?...I live beside a nicely paved hill people Ski down.

news:[email protected]...